Author Topic: Suggested hunting ammo for antique shotgun?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline eleniontolto

• Prepper
Suggested hunting ammo for antique shotgun?
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
I recently came to own my grandfather's old shotgun. Didn't even know it existed until my parents pulled it out! It is an Ithaca "Minier" model, 16 gauge, 2 1/2" shell size side-by-side, made around 1907. I took it into a gunsmith and he cleaned it and checked it out and said he wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. But, he did say I should use lead shot, lite load 2 1/2" shells.

I was hoping to use this gun for hunting - maybe turkey or duck? Does anybody have any input on that? I am trying to figure out what ammo to purchase for this use, and am having trouble finding websites that sell 2 1/2" shells for 16 gauge in the first place. What load weight would you suggest? I found this website here: http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm, and they sell 16 gauge 2 1/2, but will those load and shot sizes work? Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Suggested hunting ammo for antique shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:40 AM »
If it's chambered in 2 1/2", you're going to be pretty limited as far as shells go over 2 3/4. The ammo from RST doesn't show anything larger than #5 shot, and (IMO) is a bit light for turkey in it's own, let alone only having a 2 1/2" shell.
 As far as duck hunting, check your state regulations. You may be required to use steel shot only for waterfowl, in which case you're pretty stuck.
 That would be a great shotgun for small game (rabbit & squirrel), and would be a lot of fun for birds (dove, quail, etc). I've always loved hunting with a double myself.

d3nni5

Re: Suggested hunting ammo for antique shotgun?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »

If I may add another question to eleniontolto's questions..

What about steel shot in these older shotguns?   I too have an old shotgun, a Mossberg 185 bolt action 20 gauge.   It's not much to look at, but it was also my grandfather's and I like to pull it out time to time.

Not that I need to shoot steel shot, but it would be nice to know what you would suggest here too.