Author Topic: Glock 19 Holster  (Read 1972 times)

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
Glock 19 Holster
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
All -

I am trying to find a good OWB holster for my Glock 19 that fits these specifications, without any luck. I am tired of wading through web site after website. Help!!!

1) Rigid so I can reholster with one hand without looking. I hate holsters that collapse or I have to be concerned about a corner hitting the trigger. I like Kydex, but would consider rigid leather.
2) Will completely cover the muzzle.
3) Has a strap to retain the gun.
4) Not too large that I cannot cover with a coat or long shirt.
5) Fit a 1 1/2" belt.

I know there are Kydex holders that retain without a strap, I just want one more layer of protection. I don't need to be quick-draw-McGraw or IWB. Surely, there is something out there that fits the bill and someone has already procured something that fits the specifications. I am just tired of looking!! ARGGGGG!
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline Machine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Glock 19 Holster
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
I think that is a tough combo. I think I would be chasing Safariland. You're probably going to have to do a little research on the mounting systems, since the level 2 holsters are generally going to be for larger duty belts. They have a bunch of mounting systems for competition I know.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »
the level 2 holsters are generally going to be for larger duty belts.

Holy crap. I never knew it was going to be so fracking complicated. Gun people and manufactures who cater to "them" (ok me) make it too difficult. ;-)

It looks like http://www.safariland.com/ has a lot of options.

Seriously, I am just an average person who wants a quality holster he can count on to retain the pistol, not wear, and be something he can count on if the excrement really hits the rotary device. I am not the law, I am not going to meet anyone at high noon (unless it is for really good Tex-Mex) and am unlikely to be in a competition. Uncle Mike's is not adequate. I conceal carry an entirely different pistol (Kahr PM9 if you must know).

Why does it have to be that complicated. ;-)

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

Offline Machine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:23 AM »
I use a glock holster which does hold the pistol very well, I also have a Fobus that almost takes two hands to get the pistol out of the holster  :-\ so retention is off the charts.

(I have the same setup for the 19 and 26)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VOKXAC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002V3E0A/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

Ya know, the more I think about it the madder I get.  Our motto, what we believed down in our heart, went something like this "ye though I walk through the Valley of Death we will fear no evil...for we are the baddest mother strawberry pickers in the Valley".

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
I have the Bianchi Shadow II for my S&W 5906 and so far I love it.  It does tend to collapse a little but since it has been broken in I have no problems sliding it in one handed anymore.  I put mink oil on it every couple of weeks for the first few months and it is real supple.  It also has multiple angles for hip and crossdraw right handed and even behind the back left handed as a backup.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=7
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
Gideon Elite by Dale Fricke.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »
...Let me add something to my previous post on this thread, if you're interested in a leather/kydex hybrid design...  I do own a Crossbreed Supertuck for my G19 and carry it daily, I'm going to replace it with a concealment solutions once my firearms budget allows (other priorities now).  While there are slight differences between the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Concealment Solutions Black Mamba I do find the leather to be a little nicer on the Black Mamba and it's slightly cheaper than the Crossbreed.  The big differences between the two is customer service, keeping an open ear to the customer, accessibility to a person at the company and turnaround time, for example....

Concealment Solutions:
-When I called concealment solutions I was able to talk to the holster maker himself
-I received my holster 5 days after ordering it. 
-Will customize your G19 holster for your specific light, laser etc.

Crossbreed:
-It took almost 2 weeks of calling Crossbreed before I could even reach a person on the other line.  They never replied to the two emails I sent them.
-Took 3 weeks to receive my holster and this was not during a rush on guns.
-When I explained to them some of the design problems I was having with their micro clip holster and some recommendations on how it could be improved the lady just said "ok".  I'm sure nothing was done with the information, they're still selling this holster.  WARNING, do not buy this holster...regardless of how it was worn I had the holster rotate on its clip causing my gun to fall out on the pavement in a parking lot.  I also had the holster "walk" out of my pants.  Whether my gun belt was loose or tight, each caused a unique problem with this holster.  I threw mine out.

The supertuck is a nice product and Crossbreed has been doing it for a while which is why I think you'll see more responses for the Supertuck, there are just more in the marketplace however being a legacy product does not make it a superior product.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »
If you're not married to having a strap, I highly recommend the Raven Concealment Phantom.

This is the one Heavy G recommends. I'm not sure I am 299 Days good enough! ;-)

I ended up buying the Bianchi model. Retention is off the charts. You really have to pull it at the right angle or slide (extraction port?) catches and you cannot get it out. It is leather and really nice looking.

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
This has no strap, but it retains the gun whilst running.

www.RKBAHolsters.com

I carry a G35 with a Surefire X300U every day. I carry a G19 in the same brand of holster when I travel by plane.

EDC

Offline metab

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
The Blackhawk Serpa Concealment Holster (#2) may be worth looking into.  It's rigid, but does not have a strap.  Instead it has a locking mechanism that requires a button to release the pistol that is easily operated with one hand.  I purchased mine from either a BassPro, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain. It came with both a paddle attachment and waistband attachment.  See the link below, the picture shows a 1911, but scroll down to see the other model options.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blackhawk174-Serpa-CQC-Holster-wBL-and-Paddle-150-Right-Hand/741977.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dserpa%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=serpa&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Hope this helps.

Offline Kilroy

• Prepper
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
The Blackhawk Serpa Concealment Holster (#2) may be worth looking into.  It's rigid, but does not have a strap.  Instead it has a locking mechanism that requires a button to release the pistol that is easily operated with one hand.   

The Serpa holster has been banned from use by the National Park Service, National Forest Service and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.  The reason is that in order to release the pistol from the holster, the trigger finger needs to press against a release.  This has resulted in a number of unintended discharges with some gunshot wounds as a result.  In this day and age there are other choices that avoid this situation.
Kilroy...

...was here.

Offline Poet

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
I have used a Galco holster that I think fits everything you've stated for about two years now. I carry a Ruger SR9c so it might be .1" shorter (iirc) than the glock 19. (Same holster fits both pistols.)

The holster is the Cop Slide 3.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2431&GunID=47

Offline riptide

• Prepper
  • Mutton-Labe!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
The Serpa holster has been banned from use by the National Park Service, National Forest Service and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.  The reason is that in order to release the pistol from the holster, the trigger finger needs to press against a release.  This has resulted in a number of unintended discharges with some gunshot wounds as a result.  In this day and age there are other choices that avoid this situation.

I use those for my Glock and my Kimber and the release falls right to where my trigger finger stays straight along the frame (outside the trigger guard). I can only see this sort of thing happening if the user has very long weak fingers and they bend the finger and are pushing in with the tip of the finger as they pull the gun from the holster and end up pressing the trigger - no separate safety with the Glock.

I will continue to use mine. Like all firearms and associated tools, they should fit the user and the user should verify they are using them safely. If you end up with your finger on the trigger and don't know why/how alarm bells should be going off!

Democracy- Two wolves and a Lamb voting on what to eat.
Liberty- One heavily armed Lamb contesting the vote, and willing to carry the fight to them.  (Baaaaaa!)

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »

Not a problem with practice.

However, there are several civilian training groups that disallow them as well.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review