Author Topic: Avlor's 13  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
  • Chase the wind and touch the sky
Avlor's 13
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »

Cooking — In Progress
1. Keep trying new recipes that are easy and more healthy for my family. Have 5 new "faves".
2. Put the best recipes we use in a page protected binder. Most are in Evernote. Printing them out each week is a waste. And the ones in the recipe box are never used. I can do better.

First Aid — In Progress
Put together a better complete first aid kit, that we keep near and use. (So that it's not pathetic like my last one with meds 10+ years past expiration.)

Fiber Arts — In Progress
Increase my knowledge of Nalbinding. - Participate in the nalbinding challenges and stitch challenges in the Ravelry group. - Make a pair of nalbound socks for me.

Foreign Language — In Progress
Finish translating "Historiskt och Modernt i Sotkcholms Län" for my nalbinding research.

Bartering
Try this out. Try bartering with a friend.

Fiber Arts
Improve my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks.

Dehydrating
Try this again - make 3 types of snacks my family can eat.

Food Storage
Learn how to keep a pantry.

Gardening
Learn why my tomatoes did not start flowering or growing well until VERY late in the season in 2012. Grow better tomatoes this year.

Wood Working
Make a nalbinding needle by myself - from the beginning (wood).  (Hubby usually shapes them and I sand.  I'm a bit afraid of the saw and the sander.  I shouldn't be.)

Foreign Language
Get through 10 lessons in the next session of Japanese.  (Need to finish current session first.)

Organizational Skills — In Progress
Organize the laundry storage room for my pantry.

Teaching
Teach a new class in nalbinding. (Half to full day class. Working on project with them - like my sub zero had or mittens.)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
Re: Avlor's 13
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
Cooking - Starting to mark our faves and print those out.  Have binder and a bunch of page protectors.

First Aid - Regarding updating my kit: Ditched old first aid kit box - was worthless.  Tried tackle box - not what I wanted.  Found a wonderful thing called a "tool bag" at Menards with LOTS of pockets (even on the outside) and it zips closed.  Transferred everything to new bag (with everyday emergency items like bandaids and neosporin in outside pockets), labeled baggies with like items, put expiration dates on top of bottles for easy id, noted expiration dates in list and will transfer them to Evernote.  Not sure I'll keep all the every day meds in there.  The bag is quite heavy with everything in it right now.  Added reminder to self to check batteries in detectors, emergency supplies due dates, and first aid kit due dates at the time change.

Organizational Skills and Food Storage - Organizing the laundry room pantry.  1 set of shelves cleaned off for initial small pantry.  Updated "Out of Milk" to have the list and expiration dates.  Still need to organize the rest of the shelves and deal with all the extra stuff in that room.  Ugh.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
Fiber Arts - Improve my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks.

Starting to spin the yarn for this.  I chose a soft smooshy wool to be plied with a batt that I got for a spin-along club.  I know that usually soft smooshy wool is not chosen for socks - but for my first pair of handspun socks, I really want to enjoy spinning and wearing them.  If they don't last as long as my other socks, they will have been well loved atleast. 

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
Teaching - Teach a new class in nalbinding.

Sent in my 2 class proposals for North Country Fiber Fair for 1. Beginning Nalbinding - which I've taught before and 2. Nalbound Mittens (half day class).

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
Fiber Arts— Increase my knowledge of Nalbinding. - Participate in the nalbinding challenges and stitch challenges in the Ravelry group.

Finished my project for the Åsle stitch challenge in the Ravelry nalbinding group.   This one was tough for me to finish, since the stitch puts a lot of torque on my thumb.  But I have the stitch down pat now.  It makes the most incredible dense fabric!

Åsle Stitch Nalbound Cell Pouch by Avlor, on Flickr

---
Side note: This skill will take all year to finish, since the challenges will likely run though the rest of the year.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »
First skill goal Completed -> First Aid - Put together a better complete first aid kit, that we keep near and use.  Pictures and details in my blog post.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
Fiber Arts —Improve my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks - and knit the socks.

Starting to spin my batts from Moonrover.  Have part of the yarn spun to ply with the batts.  May have to spin more white and make stripes in the socks if I don't have enough to knit socks.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
Fiber Arts —Improve my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks - and knit the socks.

Yarn is spun and I'm knitting it.  This "skill" will not be a try it once and then done.  I think it will take several tries to get it so I have long lasting socks.  Posted on my blog about it.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »
Foreign Language - Get through 10 lessons in the next session of Japanese.  (Need to finish current session first.)

3 lessons to go before I can start on this.  (Just finished one today.)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

Well, I knit my first socks from my handspun.  I like them.  But I need to make a serious improvement in my yarn.  It kept splitting as I knit it. 

I'll experiment more with using faster setting on my wheel.  The last yarn I'd spun - might do well.  I want to see the limit to how fast I can get the flyer going and be able to spin.  (There's a physical limit as my whorls can only get so small.  And I tried just taking the whorl off my particular kind of wheel.  But I need a thicker rubber gasket to get it to work well.)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Very nice! I look forward to seeing more of your projects, Avlor. I'd love to see a photo of your spinning wheel...

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Aww, how sweet!  Thanks!

Here she is:

Miki (my Roadbug spinning wheel) by Avlor, on Flickr
(Sorry it's not the best picture.  It's the only one I have right now.  I should take a better one when I have good light.)

Do you have a wheel?  Or do you spin on a spindle?  (I love both and like to hear what people prefer.)

---

BTW - I bought a darning mushroom because of you and Geolady!  I'm anxious to try it out.

Offline AllYouNeedIsLove

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
I remember Menards commercials from when I was a kid. That guy with the sweater and the off-kilter smile was always on those commercials. Funny! I didn't realize they had expanded so much. Well, I'm back in the midwest now so close to Menards again and I'll check out those bags for a first aid kit. Thanks.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
I think Menards still has goofy commercials! 

They had quite a few different options when I was there.  I chose the one with the most pockets that would hold quite a bit.  (But the thing is pretty heavy now.)  So think about what you want and what you'll pack in there.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
Doing some catch up today for my skills progress.

Organizational SkillsOrganize the laundry storage room to hold my pantry.
and
Food StorageLearn how to keep a pantry.
I decluttered and made space for a small pantry.  But I need more room and a way to keep it more organized.  It's pretty randomly ordered and very crowded.  (I had a few complaints about not being able to find the item I sent the kiddos to find.) 

Instructed the family to take the front items and mark down on my dry erase list that they took the item.   The dry erase list is helping me know what I need to replace.   

I need to make a staples list.  My buying has been from memory.  Not good for a larger pantry than I have. 

Fiber ArtsImprove my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks - and knit the socks.
Started my socks 2 days ago in the toe up fashion.  The yarn with increased twist is definitely more fun to knit (fewer splits).  I'm halfway through the foot portion.  This just might be good sock yarn!

Handspun socks in progress by Avlor, on Flickr
TeachingTeach a new class in nalbinding. (Half to full day class. Working in project with them - like my sub zero had or mittens.)
My friend at NCFF asked if I can teach 2 beginner classes, instead of just one (along with the intermediate class I'm working on).  So this is a good sign I'm in to teach there this fall!  :)  Woot!

DehydratingTry this again - make 3 types of snacks my family can eat.
Dehydrated celery.  This isn't a snack.  But it makes the celery storable so I don't have to waste it.  (And the dehydrator is now out of storage and ready to use for snacks. :)

Cooking1. Keep trying new recipes that are easy and more healthy for my family. Have 5 new "faves". 2. Put the best recipes we use in a page protected binder. Most are in Evernote. Printing them out each week is a waste. And the ones in the recipe box are never used. I can do better.
Started a small binder with page protectors.  I'm finding that we'll likely need a binder for different meal types.  Donated and listed for sale a few cookbooks I never used.

Have 1 new "Fave": Banana Bread Oatmeal.  Tastes good and is filling.  Easy to make.

Foreign LanguageGet through 10 lessons in Season 5 of Japanese. (Have to finish season 4 first.)
Down to 3 lessons left in season 4.  I'll be able to start this soon!

Added a new skill to learn:
Herbal Remedies - Learn to use 5 essential oils for their medicinal values (peppermint, tea tree, tumeric, clove bud, and clary sage).
I'm seeing info about essential oils popping up all over on blogs.  I'm a cautious skeptic when it comes to most things labeled "herbal".  But I'm willing to try this.  I've ordered these essential oils, some fractionated coconut oil, and The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy.   

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »
You are doing great! I don't currently have a spinning wheel at all. My parents have one at their house that my dad made himself in the 70's. I can probably get him to gift it to me if I promise to put it to use :)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
@LvsChant - Thank you!  I'm just trying to chug away at the skills as I can.  Just like everyone else.  :)

Ooh.  I'd love to see that wheel!  How cool that he made the wheel himself!

Do you have a skills thread?  I'd love to see it if you do.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
Fiber Arts — Improve my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks - and knit the socks.
  • I have 1 sock done.  And the other ~60-70% of the way done.  Will have pictures after they are completed
Dehydrating — Try this again.  Updated: skipping the snacks part. Now do: Dehydrate 10 foods for food storage
  • I've been tinkering with dehydrating in small batches.  I've tried a few new ones: green onion, tomatoes, grapefruit, oranges and kiwi.  (The last 3 I think will be best as tea or baked good additives.) 
  • Tried the celery from last time in soup.  Worked pretty well.  Nice to not have to buy it!
Teaching — Teach a new class in nalbinding. (Half to full day class. Working in project with them - like my sub zero had or mittens.)
  • My proposal for nalbound mittens was accepted officially, and I know when I'll be teaching.  Have my sample mittens done (below) and the pattern written out for them.  Just need to:  1. get the background info and stitch info together  2. find a projector  3. have a test/guinea pig class

Nalbound mittens done in Finnish Stitch by Avlor, on Flickr

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »

Fiber Arts — Improve my spinning to spin my own yarn for socks - and knit the socks. - Completed

Second pair of socks are completed.  I still feel I could put more twist in my sock yarn.  But this didn't split often as I worked it.  I'm not out to be a master sock yarn spinner right now.  Just to be able to do it competently.  I feel I'm there and can visit this skill in the future when I want and time allows.  Off to work on my next skill!

Handspun socks by Avlor, on Flickr

Dehydrating — Try this again.  Updated: skipping the snacks part. Now do: Dehydrate 10 foods for food storage

Dried sweet peppers. (food #7)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
Cooking — Completed
1. Keep trying new recipes that are easy and more healthy for my family. Have 5 new "faves".  2. Put the best recipes we use in a page protected binder. Most are in Evernote. Printing them out each week is a waste. And the ones in the recipe box are never used. I can do better.

I have 5 new faves and all the recipes we regularly use in page protectors and a binder.  We'll need a bigger binder soon.  Will keep working on this - as we can always use more good meals that the whole family likes.  (My youngest is getting darn picky and I'm working on that.  Hard to find things that aren't sweet that she likes.)  But I'll focus on other topics for a while.[/font]

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Food Storage — CompletedLearn how to keep a pantry.

- Have increased our storage space and am rotating things out on a regular basis. 
- Have the family trained to use the pantry and write items down when they are taken from the pantry.
- Have spreadsheet with items (connected to my grocery list), # of items, and expiration dates.  Can sort by due date to see what needs to be used.
- Starting to shop from my pantry - especially in months where there's 5 weeks/shopping trips.
- Have a good start to plan for what to increase in my pantry now that it's going.  I'll keep working on this too.  But I need to move on to other skills for a while before increasing in this one.[/font]

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Organizational Skills — In ProgressOrganize the laundry storage room to hold my pantry.

- I'm close on this one.  Almost have the room completed.  Just need to figure out what to do with our games.  Hubby and I aren't in agreement yet where they should be stored.  But I want them to be used more and in an accessible place.  If we see them, we'll play them more.  This would also leave room for expansion of our pantry.  We'll need it.[/font]

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
Dehydrating — Completed -> Try this again.  Updated: skipping the snacks part. Now do: Dehydrate 10 foods for food storage

Dried yellow squash, zucchini, and mushrooms.  (Now to 10).  Currently drying pears and black berries.  I'll keep working at this to increase my food storage.  But I'm pretty comfortable with dehydrating now.  :)

Offline House of Honyacks

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 03:05:56 AM »
Are you teaching your Nalbinding class in person?  Have you considered making an instructional video?  We participate in a Scandanavian Heritage club with our children. My cohort and I have been wanting to learn Nalbinding so we can teach the kids!

Offline klthistle

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Keep on dancing through the rain :)
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:16:42 AM »
you have inspired me! :) 

I notice that you are planning to dehydrate zucchini... I have heard that, even though you are skipping snacks at this point, seasoning & dehydrating zucchini makes great snack/trail food.  I am planning to try this out this coming week.  I'll keep you posted.