Author Topic: Scott's List  (Read 1375 times)

Offline SFerg

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Scott's List
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »
Hello all,
New guy here.  My name is Scott.  I'm 31 and live in Southwest Ga.  Here is my list of goals for this year.  This is an awesome concept, and I have been telling all who would listen about it.

Feel free to comment!

1. Land Navigation.
     I'm somewhat lost with map and compass (probably moreso that I assume).  I'm going to look into an orienteering class.

2. Building Community.
    I've been trying to get the wife and friends on-board with preparedness.  I'm interested in learning more ways to get some heads out of the sand.  The "blackout bag" was an excellent idea.

3. Container/Portable Gardening
     I was first turned on to the idea by one of Dave Canterbury's videos from last year and thought it was really cool.

4. Seed Saving
     I wasn't aware that you weren't able to save your own seeds from your produce. 

5. Blade Sharpening
     I can put a serviceable edge on a blade, but I'd really like to acquire the skills/equipment to put a really nice, honed edge on my knives.  I'm looking at the Edgepro.

6. Gardening
     Kind of goes in-line with the seeds and container gardening.  I've never had too much trouble growing things, but I do need practice.

7. Shelter Construction
     I've built a few small buildings and dog houses.  I have no experience with ridge lines, hammocks, or primitive shelters.  Maybe a hammock by the garden? Hmmm.

8. Water Catchment/Filtering
    I've studied different techniques for catchment, but have never put them into practice.  Time to get that going.  Also, I don't have much in the way of filtering.  I need a berkey.

9. Organizational Skills
     It's not the organizing that's a problem for me.  It's keeping it that way.

10. Marksmanship
     I've never been a terrible shot, but as anyone else, there's always room for improvement.  I took two pistol classes and one carbine class last year.  I'm signed up for Precision Rifle at Tactical Response next month. 

11. Communication
     I'm really lacking in this area unless it's a cell phone.  I don't know jack-diddly about radios.  I am meeting with a local long-time ham'er next week though.

12. Knots
     I know the most basic knots, but would have trouble with things like securing a load (now I know the trucker's hitch).  I downloaded the "animated knots" app on my phone and practice in my down time.

13. Nutrition
     I've lost nearly 60 lbs in the last 6-8 months, gonna try and keep that train going and further my knowledge and understanding of the bodies needs nutritionally.

Offline SFerg

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Scott's List
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »
A few updates............

1. Land Navigation.
     I'm somewhat lost with map and compass (probably moreso that I assume).  I'm going to look into an orienteering class.

2. Building Community.
    I've been trying to get the wife and friends on-board with preparedness.  I'm interested in learning more ways to get some heads out of the sand.  The "blackout bag" was an excellent idea.

3. Container/Portable Gardening
     I was first turned on to the idea by one of Dave Canterbury's videos from last year and thought it was really cool.

4. Seed Saving
     I wasn't aware that you weren't able to save your own seeds from your produce. 

5. Blade Sharpening
     I can put a serviceable edge on a blade, but I'd really like to acquire the skills/equipment to put a really nice, honed edge on my knives.  I'm looking at the Edgepro.

6. Gardening
     Started some tomato and okra seeds this week.  Going to get started with adding a mulch layer and NOT tilling my garden for the first time.  We'll see.

7. Shelter Construction
     I've built a few small buildings and dog houses.  I have no experience with ridge lines, hammocks, or primitive shelters.  Maybe a hammock by the garden? Hmmm.

8. Water Catchment/Filtering
    Looking into a gutter system draining into a 300 gal container.  Still need that berkey.

9. Organizational Skills
     My organizing is coming along.  I started out with sheds outside, being as I'm the only one that goes there ;D

10. Marksmanship
     Took Precision Rifle at Tactical Response this month.  AWESOME.  First round hits at 650 is pretty freakin cool.

11. Communication
     Got myself a couple of Baofeng uv-5rs to play around with.  Studying for technician.

12. Knots
    Still playing with different knots and learning which ones will actually see use.

13. Nutrition
     Still maintaining my weight loss.  I'll admit that I haven't been disciplined enough for loss.  Gotta get back on that horse.