Author Topic: Missile defense from North Korea  (Read 1481 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Missile defense from North Korea
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »
U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is expected to announce Friday afternoon that the Pentagon is enhancing the
nation's ability to defend itself from a nuclear missile attack by North Korea, a U.S. Defense official told CNN.

Hagel will announce that the U.S. will be deploying up to 14 additional ground-based interceptors on the West
Coast, according to the official.

Some of those will come from reopening a missile field in Fort Greely, Alaska, and others will be based in
California, the official said. It will take up to two years for all of them to come on line, the official said,
and will cost more than $200 million.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
Re: Missile defense from North Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
200mil? what a deal.

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
I thought I heard something on the news this morning that this is the second attempt to get these in place, that they killed the program once before with a loss of 100's of millions of dollars that can't be recovered from the last attempt.

I agree with them putting them on line, but why did we kill the program the first time (if what I thought I heard was right)?

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
200mil? what a deal.
That was my thought as well.... wait a minute, you're telling me that we could add another level of protection against nuclear warfare for the equivalent of about six hours worth of the war in Iraq (currently estimated at $720M/day)? How is this even a newsworthy item? That should have been decided and signed off on before breakfast! Hell, let's put another three sets of them in place just in case, maybe a couple on the Atlantic coast, and one in Hawaii.... all we've got to do is call off the Iraq war a day earlier and it's paid for!

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
     Even though North Korea has taken on the role of a pimple on the hind end of creation, with a dangerously inexperienced leader at its "head", there are a couple of things to consider. Even if they only have one ballistic missile capable of reaching the U.S. mainland, with a moderate nuclear warhead, they could still take us down. As of now, I don't think they could lob one as far as Kansas, but when they can, all it will take is one EMP producing burst to "turn out the lights". Remember David and Goliath? In the arena of EMP warfare (or cyberwar for that matter) size doesn't matter.
     Sure, they wouldn't be jumping ashore from landing craft in California after such an attack, but if we were crippled sufficiently, who else might get in on the action? If we turned North Korea into a green glass wasteland, who else nearby might resent the fallout?
     My opinion is that we will never be taken down by an all out attack, but we can be "whittled away" by a never ending progression of terrorist actions; most probably against our important infrastructure systems. An EMP burst from a single warhead could be a good start. I believe that North Korea prints and distributes more counterfeit U.S. currency than anybody, in an attempt to help their economy and damage ours. What would happen if they could contaminate some of our paper money with radioactive dust, or say a biological like smallpox? Things would grind to a halt pretty fast if Amercans started dying from handling cash!
     It's hard to figure how much of what comes out of N.K. is just rhetoric to keep the ruling class in power (most of it I hope), and just how crazy they might be if the sanctions eventually push the populace to rebel. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure the "citizens" of N. K. have no rights to firearm ownership and so will never have a means to rise up against their totalitarian masters.