Author Topic: Dawna's 13in13: Skill 1 - Gardening  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Dawna

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Dawna's 13in13: Skill 1 - Gardening
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »
I'm looking to make a couple raided beds this year.  I'm really looking forward to getting it all going and have already purchased some seed.  Every year I get ready to plant, kneel down in the garden and read the back of the seed packet, which says "start seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost"... Well, DANG!!  So... I'm ready this year!  The grow light I put together this week is just waiting for little seeds to shine on!!  If I can figure out HOW to add a photo, I'll do so!

Offline baygal

• Survivor
Re: Dawna's 13in13: Skill 1 - Gardening
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Dawna, and good luck with your garden. Follow this link to learn how to post a photo: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21040.0

Offline Dawna

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »

THANK YOU, Baygal!!  Very much!

I built myself a grow light system from PVC piping... thank you, Pinterest!  I got a bunch of pepper seeds and tomato seeds in some growing medium, and as you can see, my tomatoes are rocking!!  I've even moved a few into their own cups to give them some room.  I think I'll move a bunch more this weekend into paper pots.  My peppers are doing all right.  I had to replant a few of them this week... either they didn't have enough heat, or my seeds are not germinating at a very high rate.  I taped a heating pad under the table (LOL!) this time around.  I think last time, having the pots directly ON the pad was a little too much for them, and I turned it off after only a day or two, thinking I was cooking them.  Hopefully, this time they will be happier.  I probably have 8 different tomatoes and 8 different peppers.  I'm planning on sharing my seedlings with a friend and with my daughter.  If I have any left, I'll try to sell them and recoup some of my seed costs.  I'm having a BLAST with this so far.

I bought a Sawzall in anticipation of taking apart some pallets to make my raised beds with, so now I need to borrow a truck from a friend to collect said pallets.  We have a new store going in not too far away, and I'm hoping they will let me haul off some of the MANY pallets they have hanging out in the parking lot from bringing in new merchandise.  (fingers crossed!!)  We are SO busy already with my daughter's basketball schedule, it's tough to find time to get some of this stuff done.  My head is EXPLODING with all the ideas and dreams spinning around in there!

Offline Dawna

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
I also wanted to throw in here... one of my 13 skills was taking a first aid class.  This will be accomplished tomorrow with my husband and 13-yo daughter.

Offline Dawna

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
My grow lights in action...

Baby peppers

About 130 tomato starts

Sooooo many tomatoes!

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:34 AM »
Your babies are looking great, Dawna. I haven't started my seeds yet :-( I planned to start them two weeks ago and then I got too busy with school. I'll have to get it done Monday; my term ends this weekend. Please continue to keep us updated on the progress. Have fun!

baygal

Offline EmiLeah

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »
Wow, you have a lot of peppers and tomatoes. Mine are about the same height as yours, but I only started about 30 of each. Last year I had so many that there wasn't much room for anything else in the garden.

I like your light setup. It's frustrating not having the space to start as many seeds as I'd like. I've been shuffling cold crops out to the lil' green house to make room for later stuff, but it's never enough. ;)

Keep growing!

EmiLeah

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
I like the reflectors you set up.  I may have to make some reflective panels for my set up.

Offline julievegas

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
Reflectors is news to me. Thanks for that I'll research it.