Author Topic: Range "know-it-alls"  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
Range "know-it-alls"
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »

Ever have the "privilege" of standing next to a guy at the range who had to interupt you 5 times to tell you "what you need to do" or "you ought to have" blah blah blah...

I'm venting sorry, but if you are that guy, take it from me, the rest of us don't want to hear it!   If I ask you that's one thing, being freindly is another.    Otherwise......STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY BUSINESS.   There is a fine line between helpful and annoying.   My new "friend" last night crossed it about 10 min after I showed up.

Rant over, thanks folks !

:)
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Range "know-it-alls"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
It is even worse if you have boobs.  These types of people assume you are new shooter if you are a female on the range and offer to teach you.  This not the range safety officers but some wind bag who only shoots at 7 yards...  Shooting  a .45 acp or .357sig at 50 ft usually gets them to go away......

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
yes I've had the same trouble.  Or the wind is too high for what he wants to do, or the sun is not right for his chronograph, or... and all he does is come over to my bench and want to talk, or look at what I have or "What loads are you using, have you tried..."

z

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
Thankfully, I haven't been bothered by many of those.  I only talk to other folks at the range if they have something cool or interesting.  Or I notice they're not picking up their brass - then I ask if I can have it. :D
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
Thankfully, I haven't been bothered by many of those.  I only talk to other folks at the range if they have something cool or interesting.

Yea, you meet some of the best folks at the range.   One of the reasons I go is you get to talk to others, compare equipment etc.   I enjoy that part of it very much.   But this fellow was over the top.  He  just got on my last nerve.  I wasn't the only one he was bothering either.   For awhile I thought he may have been a new guy working there, but he wasn't.  Just some dude who couldn't understand why I didn't have (or want) a tactical stock and a threaded barrel on my 10/22.

Or I notice they're not picking up their brass - then I ask if I can have it. :D

Oh, yea, that reminds me...he went around telling everyone that he would take thier brass too, not really asking.   "Just sweep it over here, and I'll pick it up."   Until one guy told he he reloaded too!   

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
Yep, and it cracks me up when I'm holding a smaller group than them (when focusing on accuracy) or getting my hits faster than them when focusing on speed.  It's kind of like when I used to road ride north of Boulder.  Some days I was doing intervals and I'd pass and get passed a half dozen times over a 15 mile stretch.  Once in a while you'd get that egomaniac who felt slighted by your pass and decide it was a race and he was going to beat you up the climb.  It's usually best to just ignore such silliness and stay focused on what you went there to do.

My last trip to the range was working with a former boss of mine who is new to handguns.  After about 20 minutes of good progress we found we had an audience.  She never said anything, but watched everything we were doing, almost to the point of being a bit unnerving.  If she had introduced her self it might have been fine, but as it was, it was kinda creepy. 
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
My last trip to the range was working with a former boss of mine who is new to handguns.  After about 20 minutes of good progress we found we had an audience.  She never said anything, but watched everything we were doing, almost to the point of being a bit unnerving.  If she had introduced her self it might have been fine, but as it was, it was kinda creepy. 

That's when I politely ask if I can help them.  Amazing how many people walk away from a simple "Can I help you?"
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
That's when I politely ask if I can help them.  Amazing how many people walk away from a simple "Can I help you?"
I actually did that and she said, "no, I'm just watching" and continued... which made it even more awkward... ::)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
I actually did that and she said, "no, I'm just watching" and continued... which made it even more awkward... ::)

LOL, that is creepy.   You'd think of all places, at the range folks are going to be on thier best behavior.   Everybody has a gun!   Good lesson in human nature, some people are just wired that way and can't help themselves.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline shambo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »
It is even worse if you have boobs.  These types of people assume you are new shooter if you are a female on the range and offer to teach you.  This not the range safety officers but some wind bag who only shoots at 7 yards...  Shooting  a .45 acp or .357sig at 50 ft usually gets them to go away......

I n ever thought that having boobs would make things worse.  I guess it depends on how you look at them. :P

Offline fuzzy

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
shambo

Thanks! I needed that.  That's the best laugh I've had in a while!

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
I'll talk to people at the range, but only to ask questions (never to give advice) and only when they are NOT shooting. Wait until they are packing up or taking a break.

"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." - C.S. Lewis

All people - despite artistic pretensions, civilization, and many technologies - owe their existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. - James M. Corven, Basic Soil Improvement for Everyone (1983)

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
I'll talk to people at the range, but only to ask questions (never to give advice) and only when they are NOT shooting. Wait until they are packing up or taking a break.

Oh yea, that is part of the experience.   I'll stop and chat it up in the back room, or up in the shop.   I'll even talk w/ folks on the range itself if we are comparing gear, or the like.    Those unwanted "helpers" though...ugh. :)
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline SeePhour

• Prepper
  • Lurking TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »
I put range know it all's in the same category as mall-ninjas, COD (Call of Duty) commandos, and martial arts mages.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »
When I go to the range, mostly people are talking to others like, "hey, what is that you are shooting?" rather than giving advice. Of course, you will always have that jackass who brought his buddy to the range and is telling him all about how his .45 ACP will put the perp's d**k in the dirt (yes, I heard it) and then he cannot hit a target at 10 yards with any reliability.

The only time I had anyone give me advice is when I did not have my rear site flipped up on my 10/22 takedown (never shot it before) and he pointed it out in a friendly way. I am glad he did. From then on, I read the flippin' manual before going to the range. ;-)
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
The only time I had anyone give me advice is when I did not have my rear site flipped up on my 10/22 takedown (never shot it before) and he pointed it out in a friendly way. I am glad he did. From then on, I read the flippin' manual before going to the range. ;-)
I was a noob Instructor In Training with Appleseed and I missed the sight not flipped up with a student I was working with.  I was looking at their eyes and trigger finger, critiquing their position, hell I even had them check the action screw to make sure it was tight.  I completely missed that they had the rear flipped down. Sigh...
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
I don't go to ranges with other people. I also don't pay to go to ranges. I don't have to call for a cease fire. I don't have to talk to people other than my wife. These ranges are usually public.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »

I was at an Appleseed training clinic this past weekend.   Those "know-it-alls" were awesome!   One of the best experiences with a rifle I've ever had.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Yeah, there are jerks out there at the range.  Just like in every other walk of life.  Don't let them get you down.  There are a lot of people on the range who just want to help (like me).  I won't butt in, though.  Just make friendly conversation.  But not when you're shooting.

The thing that bothers me most at ranges are aggressive muzzle brakes that blow huge gales of hot gases out the side.  I had a guy next to me shooting a tricked-out .308 that almost blew my eyeglasses off.  That is an aggressive muzzle brake.  I just would get up when his son or him shot the big monster.  Could not concentrate at all with that hot hurricane pounding me in the face.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »

The thing that bothers me most at ranges are aggressive muzzle brakes that blow huge gales of hot gases out the side.  I had a guy next to me shooting a tricked-out .308 that almost blew my eyeglasses off.  That is an aggressive muzzle brake.  I just would get up when his son or him shot the big monster.  Could not concentrate at all with that hot hurricane pounding me in the face.
Yesterday I was at the range trying to help my former boss with her new .22 handgun.  She was coming along great until the guy in the lane next to us started blasting away with his 12 gauge pump.  Sometimes it's time to just take a break and let them have their fun.  He didn't mean any harm, but it's not the ideal atmosphere to be working with a newbie when something like that is going on.

I can't wait until we get some warmer weather and I can get back outside.  I have a friend's property I can shoot on behind a closed gate and there's not another living soul within miles.  But right now it's under about four feet of snow and it'll probably be Memorial Day at the earliest before we make our way up there.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
Yesterday I was at the range trying to help my former boss with her new .22 handgun.  She was coming along great until the guy in the lane next to us started blasting away with his 12 gauge pump.  Sometimes it's time to just take a break and let them have their fun.  He didn't mean any harm, but it's not the ideal atmosphere to be working with a newbie when something like that is going on.

I can't wait until we get some warmer weather and I can get back outside.  I have a friend's property I can shoot on behind a closed gate and there's not another living soul within miles.  But right now it's under about four feet of snow and it'll probably be Memorial Day at the earliest before we make our way up there.

Whenever I am bringing a new or beginner shooter I always bring extra hearing protection.  Ear muffs worn with foam earplugs often makes a new shooter much more comfortable on range.  Women and children tend to be more sensitive to noise and doubling up the hearing protection works like a charm.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
I just leave my hearing protection on. Huh what? Did you say something? I cant hear you. :D They give up and walk away.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
I can always tell when a know it all doesn't know it all because if he knew it all he'd know that I know it all!

Offline mrmnjewel

• Mr Cool under Pressure
  • Prepper
  • Prepper in Progress
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
Yeah...I haven't run across too many of those types at the range, but in the martial arts community you see them. New guy comes into the dojo dressed head to toe in Tapout gear. The guy says he is a blue or purple belt in BJJ "at another school" and has all kinds of whacked out advice, continualy interrupting the instructor with various comments or suggestions. Then, you finally roll with him at the end of class and it very quickly becomes abundantly clear that the guy has never trained a moment in his life.

The true know it alls are the ones who remain humble and quiet unless their advice or counsel is sought.
"Retired" EMT-P
General Class Ham Radio Operator
Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »
The true know it alls are the ones who remain humble and quiet unless their advice or counsel is sought.

Ah, spoken like a sensei!   :)

+1
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
I use to have membership to two ranges, one in a small town near by and one in a larger town.

In the larger town it was just blam blam blam blam, throw them down range as fast as possible. No one talked and you couldn't hear anyway.

The smaller town one was more laid back and usually, breaks in the shooting for talking. Some one would say "What you shooting" and then show off what they were shooting. It was customary to allow them to try or you to try out a firearm if you wished. Pretty neat.

One time I almost offered advise at the larger town range. Guy next to me had a 1911, looked like a pretty good one too. He wasn't even hitting his B27 target at 10 yards, not a freakin nick. I was starting to wonder if he was shooting blanks when he landed one in the top right corner almost hitting the clamp holding the target up. But I thought better of it, I should have offered him help. Not that I'm a know it all, but I could have helped the guy, anyone could have helped make him a better shot.

Amazingly enough there was this girl next to him, about as wide as she was tall shooting a Sig at 15 yards and she was literally putting the next bullet through the last hole she left. I've never seen shooting that good at a range. I wanted to tell her that was the best shooting I'd ever seen but figured she might think I was being smart.

You had to be there but once at the larger range this hippy looking college girl came in with a back pack on. I figured she was going to hand out PETA literature or something similar. Start an anti gun protest right there at the register. An employee asked her if she needed some help. She said "I hope you can help me my calf holster isn't that comfortable and my gun keeps sliding down." He says "Ok lets see what you got". So she pulls up her flare leg as a hippie would wear revealing a beautiful full size Kimber 1911. He told her that correctly carrying that gun there was impossible, they walked away to look at holsters and I didn't want to seem as nosy as I am. I'll never forget that.

As for "boobs" and guns some of the best shots I have seen are women. To many women are ruined from shooting again after an experience with some idiot that thinks he knows guns and out of  meanness or stupidity takes them shooting and 1st shot with a 12 ga or a .45, will probably be her last shot.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »
New video from Iraqiveteran8888 on "Range ninjas"  LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVLmt7rS-Q

-Practice until you get it right, train until you can't get it wrong.
-"You will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension." N. Tesla

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »
New video from Iraqiveteran8888 on "Range ninjas"  LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVLmt7rS-Q

I love the Gun Gripes videos!   That's cool.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:23 PM »
Lemme tell you a story about know-it-alls: I knew this guy, a biker, you know the type - Big guy. Harley vest, Harley wallet, boots, beard, tattoos - everything but the motorsicle..... Well, he saw himself as God's gift to, well, whatever, and he also felt that God spoke directly to him. That meant that he didn't have to listen to anyone else, and you should consider yourself privileged to associate with His Excellency. What God told him [or so he said] was that women were on a lower evolutionary or spiritual plane than men were, and if you were a girl-child you were lower than the slime that grows on the belly of a dead snake.

We were shooting revolvers at a friend's farm - clay pigeons stuck on a fence, and coming close. Close, but no cigars. Then the wives stopped by to see what or how we were doing. He talked his wife into taking a few shots. This woman had never shot a handgun before, let alone a 3" .357 with full horse loads. She did as expected - plowed up dirt and picked up a nasty flinch. The look on his face... remember, women are on a lower evolutionary plane and could not be expected to do anything remotely right with guns. Guns are a Man thing. So he turns to my wife and talks her into trying his pocket howitzer. Three shots and three busted clays later, she hands him his revolver back, commenting on how she liked the grips. "Wha?!? How?!?, who???, What just happened?????"

So he wanders over to my youngest daughter,"Shorty", 14 at the time, and 4' 11" tall. She's popping away with a 10-22. Because she is a female child - see the last sentence of the first paragraph - she can't possibly know anything about shooting, and is in serious need of his expert advice. Which he proceeds to freely give her. She puts up with it politely - for about 30 seconds. She then looks at this hulking biker and says, "Scoot, will you please shut the f^<k up?!?" Stunned silence  :jaw-drop: from Scoot. POP from the 10-22. Nothing happened to the clay.  :impatient:

"Well if you weren't such a smart-mouthed brat and listened to what someone tells you....." She safed the rifle, retrieved the clay, pointed out the .22 hole dead center, and asked if that was good enough for him. :clap:

Sometimes you just need a know-it-all to provide comic relief. :rofl:

soupbone
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »

Sometimes you just need a know-it-all to provide comic relief. :rofl:

soupbone

Great story soup! +1

No doubt, you have found a used for them know-it-alls!   Only thing, now I have to shoot as good as your girls!   :)   I'll be back, going to the range.

--Montani Semper Liberi