Author Topic: Brother can you spare a...22 cent piece?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline sampson

• Prepper
  • Lucky husband, proud father.
Brother can you spare a...22 cent piece?
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:04 AM »
I just got an update from Appleseed, regarding next weekends Bay Area event...it included talk of dry firing and/or the use of blanks! ;)
Of course this is reaching , but who out there is willing to part with a box of shells for a guy about to partake in his first Appleseed? Surely, there are many reading this, right now, who could spare a box.
I'm happy (used loosely here) to pay market price, or trade for something.
Many thanks to anyone who'd consider helping me out here!
All the best,

Sampson

Love your country. Suspect your government. Prepare. Resist.
Live to learn. Learn to live.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Brother can you spare a...22 cent piece?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »
You may want to post on the Appleseed forum too. A lot of the Appleseed instructors bring extra ammo to events for just such an emergency.

Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »
Sent ya a PM.

Any good recomendations to verify age?

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline sampson

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »
Thanks. Just got back to you...
All the best,

Sampson

Offline sampson

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »

Last count was 131 views and one guy actually took the time to offer some help?!
 I'd have better luck standing on the side of the freeway with some jumper cables in my hands!
Is that how this community operates?
For shame people!
All the best,

Sampson

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »
You could also try the store that you just bought you .22 at. Even if the don't have ammo for general sale, a lot of small gun shops keep a few boxes to sell along with their rifles.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »
I could spare a box from my case. I'm in northern Utah and sounds like you're in CA. If that is any help to you let me know.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
Last count was 131 views and one guy actually took the time to offer some help?!
 I'd have better luck standing on the side of the freeway with some jumper cables in my hands!
For shame people!

I'm sure that lots of people would like to help but unless they're relatively close to where you live, I'm not even sure if USPS rules would allow them to mail you any ammunition, much less whether any State or Federal laws might complicate matters further.

I'd be happy to help out with such a request if I could but there's no way I can ship anything across the border to you.

Wishing you the best, but I think it hasty to judge the willingness of others to help given the circumstances.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
Mailing/ shipping ammo has to be declared and be labeled HazMat (extra fees) and I believe that it has to go UPS ground. Not to mention that there might be some legal issues mailing ammo to an unknown person.

Would be less trouble to just pick up the phone and call around to local sporting goods stores and pay the inflated prices. And let it be a lesson to you to keep stock on hand.

I am all for helping people out. Not trying to sound like an ass, but if you have a weapon and did not think to get ammo for it then poor planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on ours.

concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline sampson

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
It's true, I should've planned better and I've been trolling the few vendors in my area, but we all know where that leads...wasted gasoline.
Apologies for jumping down 'the community's' collective throat.  I was getting a little panicky about using my entire stash at the Appleseed shoot. And was totally ignorant of the shipping stipulations/roadblocks. I really am a novice in the world of firearms and all it encompasses.
No hard feelings I hope...
All the best,

Sampson

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:19:36 AM »
It's true, I should've planned better and I've been trolling the few vendors in my area, but we all know where that leads...wasted gasoline.
Apologies for jumping down 'the community's' collective throat.  I was getting a little panicky about using my entire stash at the Appleseed shoot. And was totally ignorant of the shipping stipulations/roadblocks. I really am a novice in the world of firearms and all it encompasses.
No hard feelings I hope...

Certainly no hard feelings. This is after all the first time in history that something as simple as getting a box of .22 could be such a frustrating ordeal. It's merely a case of unfortunate timing to enter into the hobby just as the unexpected happened, though I'm sure that the ammo shortage WRT .22 will ease up in a couple of months.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
If doing the appleseed is going to wipe out your entire stock and you are not comfortable with that then perhaps you should rethink doing the shoot.

concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline sampson

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
If doing the appleseed is going to wipe out your entire stock and you are not comfortable with that then perhaps you should rethink doing the shoot.

i figure a trained man with 50 rounds might outshoot an untrained man with 400. but thats just me. i could  be wrong...
All the best,

Sampson

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »
i figure a trained man with 50 rounds might outshoot an untrained man with 400. but thats just me. i could  be wrong...

True enough. 

Sounds like you need hit the Walmart as soon as they unload the trucks. There is no excuse for not having several thousand rounds of .22 with it only being 20 bucks for 550 rounds. I remember when it is under 10 bucks for 500 rounds. The good ole days. Prices will rise and there will be a time when today's prices will be the "good ole days".

The best time to buy ammo and guns (like the best time to plant a tree) is today and 10 years ago.
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »
True enough. 

Sounds like you need hit the Walmart as soon as they unload the trucks. There is no excuse for not having several thousand rounds of .22 with it only being 20 bucks for 550 rounds. I remember when it is under 10 bucks for 500 rounds. The good ole days. Prices will rise and there will be a time when today's prices will be the "good ole days".

The best time to buy ammo and guns (like the best time to plant a tree) is today and 10 years ago.

I concur with the prudence of stocking up .22 ammo ahead of time, and took the lesson of the current panic in the US as an opportunity to stock up on a couple thousand extra rounds before the drought hits us here, along with a commitment never to let my supplies drop below a certain amount from this point onwards. Nevertheless, with all of the new people getting into prepping and gun ownership, I think we should be more thankful about having them join us than chastizing them for not having seen the light sooner.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
For shame people!

I came looking to figure out what a 22 cent piece was

Besides, I hardly fault a community for not jumping overboard to send out ammo to someone who has (now) 20 posts and less at the time of posting. I certainly don't want new members to feel unwelcome, but I hardly feel any shame.

Shipping ammo is also a hassle, as it is not accepted in the mail, and only certain ups locations accept ORD-D shipments. For me that means a 20 minute drive to a location that is only open after 4:30pm

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
I appologize for stating the obvious and/or escalating nerves, but I wouldn't give ammo to my mother right now that I didn't know could be replaced.  She would probably be safer behind me than in front or beside me . . .  To the OP, I appreciate your concern, but patience can be one of the best lessons learned concerning firearm use.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
I appologize for stating the obvious and/or escalating nerves, but I wouldn't give ammo to my mother right now that I didn't know could be replaced.  She would probably be safer behind me than in front or beside me . . .  To the OP, I appreciate your concern, but patience can be one of the best lessons learned concerning firearm use.

+1 nelson96
+1 chrisdfw

I thought the same thing.   Also I thought about that "ant and grasshopper" story again...how did it go?    Anyway, I'll also agree with "chrisdfw".   This community has truely been a unique online experience for me.  The wealth of information and selflessness that folks show is tremendous.  I would certainly not shame anyone for not offering up something so hard to get.

My buddy and I are also attending an Appleseed event this weekend.   We both considered postponing it even though we each have some 22LR stored, not knowing how easy it would be to replace.   In the end we decided it will be worth it.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline sampson

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
A lot of good and well taken points in all of these replies. I thank you for the insights, advice and tough 'love', if it can be called that...
I have come to rely on TSP for sane and inspirational ideas, and I want to be part of this community. So, I appreciate that everyone didnt freak out on me and tell me to take a hike.

Still trying to source some stock, but using more patience and less urgency in my quest.
I feel stupid for freaking out on the forum, but hey, texting, calling emailing and 'posting' are not advised when one is upset. Lesson learned.
More important lesson learned tho, is to buy things you feel you might need, even if you dont think you can use them at the moment.
Stock and prep, stock and prep, repeat.
All the best,

Sampson

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
More important lesson learned tho, is to buy things you feel you might need, even if you dont think you can use them at the moment.
Stock and prep, stock and prep, repeat.

And in so many cases, two is one and one is none.

No worries sampson, welcome to TSP friend.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late