Author Topic: Fiber Addiction  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Aelah

• Prepper
    • Terra Del Sol Farm & Vineyard
Fiber Addiction
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
I confess, I suffer from an addiction, to natural fibers! When I was in high school, I loved spinning, knitting, weaving, and dyeing, particularly exotic or small micron fibers. Then life got in the way, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I resurrected that interest. Are then any other fiber addicts? If so, what is your area of interest?

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
Re: Fiber Addiction
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »
I'm not actually a fiber addict. My addiction is natural cloth but my daughter is a weaver so her addiction is fiber. I do knit but for me the pattern comes first then finding the right fiber to make it becomes my version of a treasure hunt. I think it's the same reason I don't keep huge stashes of cloth on hand, I enjoy the hunt for just the right one.

Offline Jessie

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
Me too! I have a huge fiber stash- I love natural fibers, but I love all those sparkly shiny stuff too. Love to spin and knit!

Offline jacobsheep

• Prepper
  • Paint my nose RED!
    • Moose Mtn Ranch
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:34:21 PM »
I don't  knit but I am learning to spin.  However- I enjoy raising the fiber...It's hard to keep it clean but each animal has a great smile....

moosemtnranch.com

Offline Aelah

• Prepper
    • Terra Del Sol Farm & Vineyard
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:40:03 PM »
Nice critters Jacobsheep! I jealous! I've got 3 angora rabbits and would love to get some angora goats, an alpaca, or sheep. Just gotta get DH on board with more critters.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »
Ok this thread wasn't what I expected.

I thought I'd see a discussion involving the GI tract

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
LOL    ;D ;D

I seriously hope we don't end up eating our "fiber" if things go south!!!!!!!

Offline jacobsheep

• Prepper
  • Paint my nose RED!
    • Moose Mtn Ranch
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
I finally received my fiber from the mill.  I would like to send out 1 ounce of fiber roving to a couple of spinners. 

Here is the deal:

I will send one ounce or roving to the next 5 persons that send me there address.

Thanks.

Offline ginnyc

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »
Oh...wow..I wish I did spinnng for that, but actually have 2 bits of roving here I would like someone to spin up for me.
I knit, crochet and have a loom (which isn't in use at the moment). Any knitters here that are on ravelry too?

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »
Unforunately, my fiber addiction has been forced into remission.  Between work, two girls, shooting weekly and camping, knitting is not happening.  I started a sweater last summer.  I think about have about 30 rounds knit in it.  I have several other unfinished projects.  Used to, I could turn out a sweater in a week.  I have some wonderful alpaca wool from South America for my sweater and for some socks.  Perhaps that's what I should be doing instead of yerning for a good book and surfing the web.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
*sigh* I have a fabric addiction.  Even if I go to the fabric store for just thread and elastic, I almost always come out with at least a remnant too. 

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
*sigh* I have a fabric addiction.  Even if I go to the fabric store for just thread and elastic, I almost always come out with at least a remnant too. 

I can so relate. I love fat quarters of fabric and the collection grows and grows. I'm still bad about finding the 'perfect' fabric for a specific project but that doesn't mean I don't have a serious addiction.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »
I've had a fabric addiction for years.  Just love fabric of all kinds.  Wonder how long it keeps?  Have two rubbermade tubs and several boxes full that must be 20+ years old.  Have ALL my old patterns, too.  Some from the 60's.  Do you suppose I suffer from hoarding? :-\

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
I've had a fabric addiction for years.  Just love fabric of all kinds.  Wonder how long it keeps?  Have two rubbermade tubs and several boxes full that must be 20+ years old.  Have ALL my old patterns, too.  Some from the 60's.  Do you suppose I suffer from hoarding? :-\

Absolutely not. That preparation, right? I was wishing I had some of my '60's patterns the other day since they all seem to be back in style now.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
OK Granny,
Unfortunately, I weighed around 100lbs and at 5'8" was rather a beanpole. Most of my patterns would fit one of my legs,now. ;D

Offline Pinkpurlknits

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
I love to knit, and I know how to spin ok on a spindle.  I love fiber. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 06:30:34 AM »
I've got loads of yarn - a lot of it cotton dishcloth yarn but loads of wool too.   Fabric stashed around the house.  Some roving to spin up or use in felting.  I think the wool I had got moth eaten and so was gotten rid of. 

Now my children are a bit older I have a bit more time to actually do stuff instead of just hoard. 

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 06:45:20 AM »
. Any knitters here that are on ravelry too?

I am on Ravelry--my Rav name is JanetKaye.

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Hi!

My name is Cyndi and I have a fiber problem.

On some boards I'm known as the Fiber Enabler of NW IL.

I spin, spindle, knit, crochet, weave, tat, felt (both needle & wet). I work with both raw wool and rovings.

I love all kinds of fiber, but  wool is my favorite.  There is wool, llama, vicauna, alpaca, mohair, buffalo, cashmere, silk, camel, milk protein, flax, cotton in my stash.

This summer, I made a map of my country neighborhood marking where the most milkweeds are so I can harvest the stalks this fall once they are dried so I can rhett and spin them.

Yes, I have a problem with fiber.

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Okay, I must be out in the bush too much because I am thinking "Fiber" . . . Tubers and other wild edibles.  :)

Now I read about a whole different group of preppers that are into the materials made of natural fiber.  Got it!

On that note, do any of you use natural cordage as a fiber for making anything?  You know, the natural fibers from plants, trees, reeds, etc?  I carry a huge crochet needle in my pack for making mats and such out of finer spun cordage.  The same materials can be use in weaving finer or heavier things as well.  Anyone with new ideas, or is this posted elsewhere?

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
I enjoy making baskets so when I see natural cordage or reeds I think about weaving them. Never gave a thought to crocheting them. Hmmm, whole new avenue to contemplate.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Oh my, yes, fiber; lovely natural fibers: pure cotton, wools, linen, silks or even plant-based cordage - I want it all. Being a quilter, most of my stash is cotton but I lust for it all. As a result I am extremely STABLE, I have:

STash

Accumulation

Beyond

Life

Expectancy

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
Ah ha, another quilter. I've set my quilting aside for the moment, I've been making really silly looking fabric fairies with eyelash yarn hair and really strange fabric assortments for body pieces. I was going to make my daughter a quilt for Xmas this year but I'd have to quit playing with dolls to do that. I may be old(ish) but I never claimed to be a grownup.

Offline Jessie

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
  The same materials can be use in weaving finer or heavier things as well.  Anyone with new ideas, or is this posted elsewhere?

You may be interested in drop spinning- here is a video primitive spindle created from just a stone and stick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoByYLSBY8#ws

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »
She is excellent in her understanding of doing for ourselves.  I really appreciated her statement about having empathy with that which is around us and the lack of hand dexterity in today's society.  Fantastically smart lady!

Good link!  I love the idea of drop spinning - so primitive and functional.

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
Jute is so cheap and easy to work. 
I just started a handbag this morning and love the texture.  The jute I am using only has a weight strength of 7 pounds, but when you crochet it, it becomes so much stronger.  I will line the bag so items do not stick through, but my little friend should like it.  There is so much to be made from this stuff.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »
Oh my, yes, fiber; lovely natural fibers: pure cotton, wools, linen, silks or even plant-based cordage - I want it all. Being a quilter, most of my stash is cotton but I lust for it all. As a result I am extremely STABLE, I have:

STash

Accumulation

Beyond

Life

Expectancy

haha... I have been accumulating quilting fabrics like crazy over the past year. It is so much faster to buy fabrics than to create quilt tops... so much faster to make quilt tops than to finish them...

is my stash out of hand... well, maybe.