Author Topic: Good Job Craftsman  (Read 10248 times)

Offline Thatnub

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • L2Survive
Good Job Craftsman
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »
I went to a second hand store today and bought a bunch of Craftsman sockets and wrenches for $15. I took the bad ones to Sears for the exchange. Some of them were very old and not made anymore. Not only did I get to exchange the bad ones but, after they called Craftsman, they gave me? a gift card for $28 for the tools that were no longer made. They also ordered some that were out of stock. I should be getting those in the mail within the week. I really could not be happier with Craftsman.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: Good Job Craftsman
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
They still do this? I had head it went away once K-Mart bought out sears...Hmm, may need to start looking for tools again.

Offline Thatnub

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • L2Survive
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
Yep, they still do this.  Not only Sears but, everywhere that sells Craftsman should do the exchange.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:32:26 PM »
Good for you.
I got tired of breaking my craftsman tools and then go to the store for an exchange and they be out of what I need.

Offline Datman01

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
I agree with ncjeeper, Craftsman tools aren't what they used to be. The quality just isn't there anymore.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:58 AM »
I only buy Snap on now. I break a tool or need something NOW I just call my tool guy up and have it in no time.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
I look for the following brands in 2nd-hand stores for this very reason:

- Matco
- Snap-On
- Craftsmanm

I scored a Matco screwdriver with a mangled tip for a buck the other day.  My son, a mechanic, swapped it out for a new one for me.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
So all three companies replace damaged tools? I had only heard about Craftsman.

My dad bought for me when I graduated HS and moved out a large set of Snap-on and Craftman tools. Best gift EVER. Still have and use to this day many years later. I have not ever broken any, but good to know. I do look in the pawn stores for craftsman. But maybe now I look for more. Is it just hand tools or powered and pneumatic tools as well.

What a great thread i stumbled upon. Not sure wife can complain if I get new tools for turning in older ones.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082

This is the warranty information for Craftsman.  Some of their tools do not have the lifetime warranty.  They range from no warranty (current tape measures) to 90 days to 1, 2, and 5 years for certain power tools and gas powered implements, to lifetime for tools with no moving parts (handtools).

I have returned things I got before and the varied reactions from the employees tells a lot about who you are dealing with.  I have had some people happy to replace stuff, and it felt genuine, like they were proud of the warranty, and one guy who seemed honestly bummed he couldn't help me.  Another guy seemed like he was going to fart sunshine and glitter when telling me he couldn't help me because of the lapsed warranty.  He seemed like a smarmy little douche anyway.

Otherwise it is a pretty good policy, but it's been said before, the tools aren't what they used to be.  I have a few of my dads old craftsman power tools I still use.  Most of what I find at second hand stores is within a few years old.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 06:54:21 PM »
http://www.craftsman.com/cs warranty/nb-100000000227082

This is the warranty information for Craftsman.  Some of their tools do not have the lifetime warranty.  They range from no warranty (current tape measures) to 90 days to 1, 2, and 5 years for certain power tools and gas powered implements, to lifetime for tools with no moving parts (handtools).

I have returned things I got before and the varied reactions from the employees tells a lot about who you are dealing with.  I have had some people happy to replace stuff, and it felt genuine, like they were proud of the warranty, and one guy who seemed honestly bummed he couldn't help me.  Another guy seemed like he was going to fart sunshine and glitter when telling me he couldn't help me because of the lapsed warranty.  He seemed like a smarmy little douche anyway.

Otherwise it is a pretty good policy, but it's been said before, the tools aren't what they used to be.  I have a few of my dads old craftsman power tools I still use.  Most of what I find at second hand stores is within a few years old.

Try a different store. I have had 30 year old drill replaced, killed the new one in a weekend, and they gave me the next model up. I used it for griding grains for brewing, and burned out the motor. I paid $5 for the drill at a yard sale.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
So all three companies replace damaged tools? I had only heard about Craftsman.

My dad bought for me when I graduated HS and moved out a large set of Snap-on and Craftman tools. Best gift EVER. Still have and use to this day many years later. I have not ever broken any, but good to know. I do look in the pawn stores for craftsman. But maybe now I look for more. Is it just hand tools or powered and pneumatic tools as well.

What a great thread i stumbled upon. Not sure wife can complain if I get new tools for turning in older ones.
Yeah lifetime on snap on tools. I have to admit that its hard to stomach 200 dollars for a set of screwdrivers or 500 dollars for a set of wrenches, but when they are in your hands the (snap on, mac, matco, cornwell) quality is night and day to cheap tools. The tolerances are better also. No rounding or slipping off nuts and bolt heads. No bending of screwdriver tips.

Offline willmart

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Some of the Kobalt hand tools at Lowes now come with a "you break it, we replace it" warranty as well.  Haven't had a chance try it yet to see if they do it with a smile.

Maybe with Sears seemingly on the down slope, they are hoping to position themselves to take up the slack if Sears goes under.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
I keep an eye out for any name brand tools at garage sales. Often you can get 1/2 a set for just a couple bucks. I keep several of the common sizes 3/8, 1/2, 1" in sockets, and never worry when I crack one with the impact wrench, or hanging 4 foot of pipe on a ratchet to get torque needed. A local pawn shop has a 10 and 25 cent bin for sockets, and the craftsman stuff sticks out.

I do have some of my dad's craftsman tools from 1960's I'd guess? Could be earlier on some. The wrenches are just about unbreakable. Hit them with a sledgehammer tough.

Offline Humble Mechanic

• Prepper
    • Humble Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
Great to see some tool fans, and some local ones at that.
I am shocked that they went above and beyond to take care of your Craftsman tools. I have mixed results when warrantying CM tools.

I generally buy Snap-on for work. Mostly because our SO guys is really good. At home I use CM. You guys are right, CM tools are not what they use to be. As far as the hardware store tools, they are okay, but not great.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 07:55:58 PM »
Great to see some tool fans, and some local ones at that.
I am shocked that they went above and beyond to take care of your Craftsman tools. I have mixed results when warrantying CM tools.

I generally buy Snap-on for work. Mostly because our SO guys is really good. At home I use CM. You guys are right, CM tools are not what they use to be. As far as the hardware store tools, they are okay, but not great.

If using tools was my business, I would go snap on. I live 9 miles from 13 Craftsman tool places. I have the liberty of using cheaper tools.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
Don't forget S&K tools for deceint hand tools, Sears has been slipping for a while but the one thing nice about older CM hand tools is you can modify/customize their wrenches fairly easily for hard to reach exhaust/shock/blind nuts. Snapons are much harder tool steel to do much bending but Snappys rarely round off or slip like NC said. you do pay for quality.

use craftsman screwdrivers for chisels or prying not Snappys, they have hardened tips that will break off if you pry with them

If you need a tool box don't forget to ask you snapon dealer, lots of them have trade-ins/ repo units they need to sell. I got some great deals on used boxes over the years on like new tradeins

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
Try a different store. I have had 30 year old drill replaced, killed the new one in a weekend, and they gave me the next model up. I used it for griding grains for brewing, and burned out the motor. I paid $5 for the drill at a yard sale.

You got a replacement on the replacement.  If you had taken the new one you killed to a different store, they might have told you tough luck.  Craftsman used to have the lifetime warranty on everything, but have evolved over the years.  I found out how much a few years ago getting a relatively new saw at a garage sale for $10 and they wouldn't replace it due to it being more than a 1 year old model that only had the 1 year warranty.  I was out of luck at any Sears.

Offline Tool Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
I have heard from mechanics that if they try to get Craftsman to warranty their tools while wearing their uniform from work, they are likely to deny the warranty.  Something along the lines of it supposed to be a home use tool, not professionally. 

I am a tool salesman.  I sell many types of hand tools and power tools.  All tools will break, no matter the name stamped on the side. 

I should probably start getting some buys together on this forum, I find some great deals.  I am a dealer for 3 of the biggest warehouse tool wholesalers, and they often have some good things that are great for around the homestead/garage/camper/vehicle/etc. 

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »
You will need a higher post count to post in the swap meet. I am always on the lookout for a good deal.

Offline Tool Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
You will need a higher post count to post in the swap meet. I am always on the lookout for a good deal.

Less lurking, more posting is in order. 

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
You got a replacement on the replacement.  If you had taken the new one you killed to a different store, they might have told you tough luck.  Craftsman used to have the lifetime warranty on everything, but have evolved over the years.  I found out how much a few years ago getting a relatively new saw at a garage sale for $10 and they wouldn't replace it due to it being more than a 1 year old model that only had the 1 year warranty.  I was out of luck at any Sears.

Yep replacement on a replacement. but, I did kill the new on in just a few hours, about a 40 lbs bag of grain worth.

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »
I've got a floor jack that they won't replace. I bought it thinking that if I ever had problems that it would get replaced......not so.....now it's pretty much a boat anchor.

Offline homesteadlife

• Prepper
  • Studying Permaculture for 3 years
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »
Some of the Kobalt hand tools at Lowes now come with a "you break it, we replace it" warranty as well.  Haven't had a chance try it yet to see if they do it with a smile.

Maybe with Sears seemingly on the down slope, they are hoping to position themselves to take up the slack if Sears goes under.

I heard somewhere that some kobalt tools are made by the Snap-on corporation.

Offline homesteadlife

• Prepper
  • Studying Permaculture for 3 years
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
I have heard from mechanics that if they try to get Craftsman to warranty their tools while wearing their uniform from work, they are likely to deny the warranty.  Something along the lines of it supposed to be a home use tool, not professionally. 

I am a tool salesman.  I sell many types of hand tools and power tools.  All tools will break, no matter the name stamped on the side. 

I should probably start getting some buys together on this forum, I find some great deals.  I am a dealer for 3 of the biggest warehouse tool wholesalers, and they often have some good things that are great for around the homestead/garage/camper/vehicle/etc.

I have also heard this. but as a technician, have never experienced it first hand

Offline FoolishCop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
Tool manufacturers are an incestuous bunch these days. Despite whatever name is on the label, they're being made just a handful of companies.

For example, Husky Tools that are sold at Home Depot are actually made by Stanley, Apex Tools, Western Forge, and Iron Bridge Tools. Apex used to be owned by Danaher and Cooper Industries, but they sold it to a private equity firm, Bain Capital (yes, that Mitt Romney company). Stanley makes the Husky brand through its National Hand Tools division. Kobalt tools used to be made by Snap-On, but that was changed over to Danaher as well (though some are produced by some others now too).

In short, there are three major manufacturers of tools today: Stanley, Danaher, and Snap-On.

Stanley makes MAC Tools, Proto, Black Hawk, Husky, and Stanley.

Danaher makes Matco Tools, Armstrong, Silver Eagle, Kobalt, Craftsman, NAPA, Allen, Gear Wrench, and K-D Tools.

Snap-On makes Snap-On, JH Williams, and a few smaller brands.

When it comes to electric tools, there are even fewer options as Emerson Electric tends to make most of the engines and motors. But the brands themselves, like Delta, Porter-Cable, Oldham, and DeVilbiss are all owned by Stanley. Home Depot's Rigid brand is made by Emerson, but Rigid also makes some Craftsman tools too.

In short, there really are fewer differences between the tool brands because they're getting bought ought by larger and larger companies.

Rich

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
well i'm really sure if that should encourage me or crush me..On one hand i can't afford the Snap-on, Matco or Mac tools so it's nice to know the lesser named tools are made by those manufacturers. however, it also makes question the quality of all brands...

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
well i'm really sure if that should encourage me or crush me..On one hand i can't afford the Snap-on, Matco or Mac tools
Surf ebay and buy them used. The crappy economy has put alot of mechanics out of a job and they end up selling their tools.