Author Topic: Getting children involved  (Read 4030 times)

lady_carpediem

Getting children involved
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
Does anyone get their children involved with any survivalist subjects? We live in an apartment, we each have our own bugout bag, emegency plans, and even grow a liberty garden on the deck. What other ideas are there? I am looking for creative gifts for the kiddos.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Getting children involved
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
Try Liberty's Kids for starters.  They should learn from whom they spawned, and why they are becoming prepared, and I've been told Liberty's Kids is the best way.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
Great, Great idea.....get the children involved as soon as possible without frightening them...make it fun and serious at the same time. (balance?)  I like the idea of children being involved and participating. Helps them not be so afraid.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »
My oldest (12) is old enough to be interested in what is going on and why.  She was very interested in last year's election and that whole process.  My eight year old just is happy go lucky and just takes stuff as it comes.  We've discussed why it is important to understand how to live on our own and take care of ourselves.  Part of it is just because if we take care of ourselves (physical and mental health, economically, etc.), we are less like to be taken in by the wrong things and we can save money.  It helps that my girls love to hunt, fish and catch bugs along with gardening.

Evie

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
One day when my 3 yr. old grandson were watching Disney channel a service annoucement for making a backpack for small children and letting them help.  Jacob picked right up on it and had me help him get
it together. He is very grown but he wanted to over pack it with candy and toys :D  I showed him my BOB
and began weeding out his bag so he could actually carry it.  Since that time I have seen the information on Sesame street and commercials for a 72 hour bag often.

I think children should be invovled for their age group. We take all the kids camping and they fish, help gather wood
to start fires and love to hike.  We have evening where we just play board game or draw instead of setting in front of a
video game.  I know it's a lifestyle but I want them to grow into it gradually for their mental health.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:56:56 PM by Evie »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
I showed my kids how to start afire using my magnesium firestarter and flintsteel. They even started it themselves. But they know this is a thing to be done with Daddy only.

Winchester32

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
My children are all young enough, that hopefully the survivalist or prepardness issue won't be something to I need introduce to them, it will just be a natural way of life.  It was that way for me for the most part.  My mother's thought was that you should always be prepared for the unexpected.  If you go into the woods, you could get stuck for some reason, so you better know how to catch a fish and start a fire.  When traveling more than a short distance from home, you can break down, so make sure you have water and food and a blanket (even if it's 100 degrees outside!).......and so on. 

Since we were relatively poor, we learned to improvise a lot.  I want to give that ability to my kids.  I want them to be able to think, even in a touch situation, and figure out the best thing to do.  I worry about failing in that area, mainly because my mother tended to be a hard ass about such things.  That route I have chosen not to follow as a mom............anyhoo.......sorry, I'm prattling. 

Kudos for getting the kids involved. 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
Since we were relatively poor, we learned to improvise a lot.  I want to give that ability to my kids.  I want them to be able to think, even in a touch situation, and figure out the best thing to do.  I worry about failing in that area, mainly because my mother tended to be a hard ass about such things.  That route I have chosen not to follow as a mom............anyhoo.......sorry, I'm prattling. 

I highly doubt you will ever fail at anything, quite honestly.  I get the impression that you are *very* intelligent, and I'd bet money that you're a creative, and good mother.  I dunno.  Call it a woman's instinct.

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:18:10 AM »
I posted a similar thread on homesteading and reliant living:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2478.msg24058#msg24058

Today mine helped me get a fire going to grill chicken.   :)

Winchester32

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »
I highly doubt you will ever fail at anything, quite honestly.  I get the impression that you are *very* intelligent, and I'd bet money that you're a creative, and good mother.  I dunno.  Call it a woman's instinct.

Wow thanks!  I really appreciate that.   :)