Author Topic: Glock 19 and 26 Holster recommendations?  (Read 18337 times)

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
Glock 19 and 26 Holster recommendations?
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:10 AM »
So I've been a gun owner for a number of years, but I am just now getting my CC.
I would like to purchase a holster for CC for my Glock 19 and 26 - not to be worn at the same time :) and, unfortunately, not to be worn while I am not in the U.S.

Here's the dilemma... I live overseas right now and can't "try them on", but I would like to get something to have on hand just in case. When I am living in the U.S. again and can carry on a regular basis, then I will really be able to find a holster I really like.

But, if I can get it right on the first try, then that will be great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Doc K

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Glock 19 and 26 Holster recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »
I carry a Glock 19 almost daily. I've tried a couple different holsters and the one I've settled on is the  black mamba CE from www.concealmentsolutions.com.  Is an inside the waistband holster and is incredibly comfortable.  Use code GUNDUDES and you'll get $10 off.  They're turnaround time and customer service is the best I've found, much better than crossbreed.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
Here's a second for Crossbreed Supertuck if you're looking for IWB. 

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »
Never was a fan of IWB carry- the only gun INSIDE my pants is what I was born with...
If you are of the same mind, Id suggest Galco's leather goods as a consideration, when you can try them out.
I concealed-carried both the G19&G17 in their Concealable rig and their SOB on a sturdy belt.
Yes, often had BOTH on at the same time as its faster to draw a backup than reload your main gun
Lets not discuss wearing them both and a shoulder rig AND ankle rig (that may just be paranoia?)

My SOB was for G19 but the G17s longer muzzle length was OK as it was open ended (new ones may NOT be?)
The open-top Concealable was G17 but the shorter G19 would sit in it just fine if it had to
I can hear the "NOOO!" chorus already singing about "no-retention-straps" as well as "kidney/spinal damage risk"
The G19/G26 should work similarly as the 2 "big brothers" 17/19 did- but verify the current construction (mine are vintage 90s)
Definitely consider these ONLY after you have tried them out yourself, much like shoes- they gotta fit right the first time...

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
Dale Fricke, Archangel for inside the waistband, mainly appendix position, Gideon Elite for outside the waistband. Every holster I've gotten from him has fit the gun just the way it needed to without any break-in. Solid grip on the gun, but also sure and reliable release from the holster.

endurance

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
Here's a second for Crossbreed Supertuck if you're looking for IWB.
Thirded.  I have one for my XD9 and PM9.  Very comfortable, easy to draw AND reholster, and very concealable.

Offline 2ADefense

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
I carry a Glock 19 almost daily. I've tried a couple different holsters and the one I've settled on is the  black mamba CE from www.concealmentsolutions.com.  Is an inside the waistband holster and is incredibly comfortable.  Use code GUNDUDES and you'll get $10 off.  They're turnaround time and customer service is the best I've found, much better than crossbreed.

+1 for Black Mamba CE.  I carry an LC9, which is just a hair thinner than the G26.  Great service and very comfortable IWB holster.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »
A G26 is the same frame as the G27 I carry.  The Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe (horse hide) is great for IWB.  For OWB, I like the CompTac paddle holsters.  They make several for small frame Glocks, I prefer the open bottom FBI cant.  It will work with the longer model Glocks if needed, and the 15° cant helps keep the grip from printing.

~TG

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
A G26 is the same frame as the G27 I carry.  The Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe (horse hide) is great for IWB.  For OWB, I like the CompTac paddle holsters.  They make several for small frame Glocks, I prefer the open bottom FBI cant.  It will work with the longer model Glocks if needed, and the 15° cant helps keep the grip from printing.

~TG

+1 on the horsehide; worth the extra $, partially offset by the NRA discount.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »
Fantastic recommendations. TSP forum is always great!

Doc K

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 06:37:21 AM »
As I said, I am new to CC.
It looks like most are rec'd holsters for carrying on the strong side hip, this is what I have always seen.

But CR Williams mentioned the appendix carry... I haven't seen much of this.

Any opinions for or against either one?

Thanks!
Doc K

endurance

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
As I said, I am new to CC.
It looks like most are rec'd holsters for carrying on the strong side hip, this is what I have always seen.

But CR Williams mentioned the appendix carry... I haven't seen much of this.

Any opinions for or against either one?

Thanks!
Doc K
Personally, I'm a fan of carrying in either the small of the back or at about 4:30-5:00 for comfort and ease of concealment.  Strong-side hip is definitely the fastest draw while sweeping the barrel across the fewest unintentional targets as possible.  Appendix is good for drawing while seated, but I find it uncomfortable and when you're sitting your gun is pointing toward your femoral artery, which just makes me nervous even though guns don't go off on their own.

A lot of it is personal preference.  I don't like shoulder holsters or cross draw set ups because you're sweeping the gun across non-targets on the way to the target, but it is a comfortable set up.  For the way I dress, it's harder to conceal.  Most of the time I'm carrying SOB with a long T-shirt (Eddie Bauer has sizes L-T and XL-T to get you lots of extra coverage).  Most of the time I'm untucked, but I can tuck the T-shirt in and with the J-hooks, very few people would even notice the clips, no less the weapon.  Toss on a sweater, overshirt or jacket and it's invisible with two layers of coverage to prevent printing.

Offline Kilroy

• Survivor
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 07:38:45 AM »
Suitable for both guns, consider the GLOCK Sport/Combat Holster.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/eric-nelson/gear-review-glock-sport-combat-holster/

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
Appendix carry is a decent option BUT, it must be done with seriousness and thought because there is a significant risk of shooting oneself in the junk if you dont take proper precautions.

To be so gauche as to post a thread from another forum, this topic is serious enough that I consider it worthwhile because there is a ton of info on safely carrying appendix in it.  Warning, adult language in the thread.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29

I have recently taken up Appendix carry and find it to be a very good method with the caveat that it is not for everyone.

Offline Ragnar

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
I have two favorites for inside the waistband

1. Raven Vanguard 2 http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit
   Love it, very comfortable, more comfortable with the 19 than the 26 for some reason... it does take a little metal getting use to to appendix carry or at least it did for me.

2. Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61   Another one of my favorites, comfortable and easily carries the 17, 19 or 26, I don't have a 17 but a 17 will fit

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »

Offline TravelingMan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:27 AM »
It is hard to go wrong with Old Faithful Holsters http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/.  High quality and a very broad price range depending on if you go with a completed holster or one of the various kits. 

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 10:07:02 PM »
I carry a G26 in a Tagua Gunleather IPH, with the caveat, I often go places I legally have  to remove the weapon.  Restaurants that serve alcohol and medical facilities mostly.

It pops in easily, not a huge show to remove, and a big plus for me, carries without a belt.  I usually forego a belt, and wear dark pants, so it is hard to see even if the clip is exposed.  Presentation is a little slow, as I can't get a full grip, but that's as much the short grip as the holster.

Looking for an ankle holster for the DEEP concealment times, but I carry both strong side and appendix strong side with this holster, depending on how loose the shirt is, and it hides fantastically.  Wear a belt if your pant's don't fit well though, it can weigh them down a bit.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
I carry a G26 in a Tagua Gunleather IPH, with the caveat, I often go places I legally have  to remove the weapon.  Restaurants that serve alcohol and medical facilities mostly.

It pops in easily, not a huge show to remove, and a big plus for me, carries without a belt.  I usually forego a belt, and wear dark pants, so it is hard to see even if the clip is exposed.  Presentation is a little slow, as I can't get a full grip, but that's as much the short grip as the holster.

Looking for an ankle holster for the DEEP concealment times, but I carry both strong side and appendix strong side with this holster, depending on how loose the shirt is, and it hides fantastically.  Wear a belt if your pant's don't fit well though, it can weigh them down a bit.

Well, some of us have another carry option.  I know, this won't work for you, but enjoy the video anyway.

http://ogdaa.blogspot.com/2013/04/nice-umholster-maam.html

Yes, it comes in a G26 / G27 version.

~TG

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
Well, some of us have another carry option.  I know, this won't work for you, but enjoy the video anyway.

http://ogdaa.blogspot.com/2013/04/nice-umholster-maam.html

Yes, it comes in a G26 / G27 version.

~TG

I know a lady that likes to wear skirts, and she carries a G36 in a thigh holster.  Think less "drop leg" and more garter belt.  If only she weren't married . . . :D

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »
I carry a Glock everyday.
I converted to OWB, and have never been happier. My shirt covers it just fine.

I use www.RKBAholsters.com holsters.

Tell them coctailer sent you.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »
I have surprisingly good experience with Glock factory holsters. Very cheap and simple, universal size, but nothing wrong about them.
My other advice would be to make yourself a kydex holster. It's easy and much cheaper than buying one; all you need is a sheet of kyex, some heat source (preferably owen and a heatgun) and some heat-resistant foam to mold it. And yes, some mounting hardware (usually sold along with kydex). No need for a special press and other tools, just regular household handtools will be enough.

Offline RootStrike

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
I carry a G27 from time to time (same size as G26), and have tried a number of holsters. For IWB/appedix carry at around 1:00 - 2:00, actually a Blackhawk #5 nylon triple-layer holster is cheap and comfortable. It is very thin as well, for comfort, so I only loosen my belt 1 hole. I have tried Don Hume's leather holster there too, but IWB is tight with leather too.

For OWB I've tried the Fobus paddle and it's easy to put on and off, but not as concealable unless you have a thicker shirt or vest, or for winter use, say. I also have a Don Hume leather pancake? holster and worn at 3-4:00 position. Also tried a Bravo Tactical holster on the Right hip, that pulls in closer and rides higher. All of these holsters have the FBI forward cant.

I tried a Crossbreed Supertuck and for me it was hot, uncomfortable, odd feeling, etc.

Sometimes I will carry a M&P Shield or else Kahr PM or P series, they all are lighter, thinner, easier to conceal, most of the time I use IWB appendix carry, as it conceals very well, but it can be uncomfortable when sitting or going out to eat if you don't loosen your belt more.

d3nni5

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »

When I got my 26, I bought a DeSantis Insider for like $20.   I had every intention of going to a hybrid solution like Crossbreed, Whitehat, etc etc.

I honestly like this holster.   Never did buy a more expensive rig.   I IWB carry @ 3:00.   It tucks nice and snug right behind my belt, no print to speak of.   It is not a "quick draw" set up, but I'm not looking for that.

Only complaint is the clip is sharp, and I've ruined several shirts until I wised up and wrapped the edge with some Gorilla tape, problem solved.

Offline lokitacticalgear

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Professional Common Sense Thinker
    • LOKI Tactical Gear
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
+1 for Crossbreed Supertuck, I personally have used the Crossbreed minituck for my little kahr p9 and find it to be very comfortable, I wear it on my back right side...