Author Topic: solarblvd.coc reviews?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
solarblvd.coc reviews?
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
Has anyone had experience with solarblvd.com?
I've seen their name thrown around from several different places but rarely any reveiws or responses.
They seem to have amazing prices on solar panels. Low enough to be as cheap as soldering up my own panels from untabbed cells.
For example 25 watt panels for $30 or 15 watt for $18 (shipping not included)
I'm not looking for a whole home system (though they do have panels for that) but just 100-200 watts worth.

BBB showed an "F" rating which definately isn't promising.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: solarblvd.coc reviews?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »
never heard of them.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
I read a couple of reviews of Solar BLVD when I was researching prices. Several mentioned that the consumer received B-grade panels, factory seconds and lots that included chipped and cracked cells. Ultimately it appeared that the problem was the product description in the online store didn't reflect the actual state of the shipped product. There was also mention that Solar BLVD didn't respond to complaints.

This led me to ebay to price individual tabbed and untabbed cells in various conditions and where I could see seller feedback. It looked as if I could get similar or better pricing there and have a fair and realistic idea of what I was getting for my money.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Thanks,
I wired up one panel myself form untabbed cells from ebay. Building the enclosure isn't too bad but having a finished (and better looking than my first attempt is nice. Wiring all the cells is a long process. At least you know what you have and there is always the benefits that go with DIY projects.
I might give them a chance. Shipping didn't seem too bad either. ($20 for 100 watts worth in either 15 watt or 25 watt panels). Even if you losing 10% of the rated capacity it is still a pretty decent price.

Offline scaffdog

• Prepper
  • Sustainability, Homesteading, and Self Sufficiency
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
Just got some 235W panels from them after several people I know bought their products with no issues.  No cracks, chips, or other issues that I can see, once I get them wired up Ill let you know how they rate.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »
Please do. Thanks

Offline solar1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
Hello Folks, first post, new member here.

I purchased from solarblvd.
10 235 watt Solarworld panels. They were from a defunct business which had them on their roof and the tenant went belly up, so owner removed the system in an effort to recoup some losses. Thats where Solarblvd came in. It's become apparent to me that they buy odd lots of surplus stock, used panels and other lots from various sources and offer them at lower than new pricing.

Their pricing is a bit high for used panels, but at the time, there wasn't a lot of choices for me budget wise.
The panels had some glass and frame scratches, but they all were producing at or above rated specs.

I should mention here that they also sell new stock panels from various manufacturers, but keep in mind, that some of their offerings are panels from auction stock of defunct panel manufacturers so there will be no warranty, despite what they may tell you.

So, here is my advice:

Watch VERY carefully the wording of their "sale"prices.
Some are used panels.
Do a web search on the brand name of the panel to be sure the manufacturer is still in business.
Ask specifically if the panels are used.
Ask specifically if the panel is warranted, and if so by whom. (if need be, call the manufacturer direct and ask about warranty if panels are used.
Ask for a specific shipping quote, as freight from California is expensive.
If you plan on using the USA federal Solar tax credit, ask if panels are UL Rated and carry a UL mark on the label on each panel.

If you do your homework, and are willing to sacrifice some parameters, you just might find a few good deals with them.
Keep in mind most of the panels everyone sells are imported, which as you may know, will soon have a 30% tariff into the USA, so, it may be a good idea to buy soon.

In as far as dealing with them as a company, the transaction went well, but you may be well advised to stay in close communication with them regarding shipping lead times. They sat on my order a bit after they had my money.