Author Topic: Backwoods Engineer: Hunting: A 223Rem Load for Eastern Deer and Small Hogs  (Read 2347 times)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
I was thinking about .223 hunting loads for my AR-15, on a cold, rainy Saturday, dreaming of hunts to come.  I would like your comments, either here or on my blog.  Thanks, friends.

http://www.backwoodsengineer.com/2013/02/hunting-223rem-load-for-deer-and-small.html

Summary: Barnes 70-gr Triple-Shock X bullet powered by 23.5 gr of H4895 to 2913 fps, and the results that commenters at Midway USA have achieved on smaller (125-lb) deer, coyote, and hogs.

nelson96

Re: Backwoods Engineer: Hunting: A 223Rem Load for Eastern Deer and Small Hogs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
For hunting I recommend finding a bullet that will first expand and retain maximum weight after impact and second have a high bullet coefficient (BC) to aid in accuracy.  I've had good luck using offerings from Hornady on other calibers.

Here's a handy twist rate stability calculator
to use once you select a bullet design.

This is going to be a tough find given that the .223 is not traditionally meant for hunting larger game like deer.  That said, the barnes bullet you are looking at is probably your best choice (that I am familiar with).

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
I have taken hogs over 250 lbs with a compressed varget load under a hornady 60g vmax.  A head shot behind the ear dropped one like a bag of dirt.  On a slightly smaller one, a front of chest shot didn't drop immediately but 40-50 yards of death sprint later it had bled out and was comfortably dedd. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:47:42 PM by cohutt »

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
I have taken hogs over 250 lbs with a compressed varget load under a hornady 60g vmax.  A head shot behind the ear dropped one like a bag of dirt.  On a slightly smaller one, a front of chest shot didn't drop immediately but 40-50 yards of death sprint later it had bled out and was comfortably dedd.

Agreed . . .  There are a lot of choices one could use if he just wanted accuracy for a well placed shot, but only a few to be considered an ethical "hunting" round for this caliber.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:47:23 PM by cohutt »

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:27 AM »
The 75gr hpbt match bullet from hornady, the one they load in their TAP, and steel match, lines. I've had good luck with it. Just keep it not much farther than 100 yards, except for coyotes of course.

The factory ammo is loaded to 2790 fps out of a 24" test barrel,