Author Topic: Perth Mint  (Read 1302 times)

Offline shtf

• Fledgling Prepper
Perth Mint
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
Hi! I've heard Jack mention how we can buy gold/silver from the Perth Mint, where they hold it, and we get a "debit/credit card" that we can withdraw money at whatever gold/silver value is at that time. It's not clear from their website how this works. Can someone explain? Thanks. (I'm in Canada.)

Wild Colonial Boy

Re: Perth Mint
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:29:39 AM »
@ shtf, the service you refer to is listed under depository services (apologies if you already knew this).  The direct link is http://www.perthmint.com.au/welcome_to_the_perth_mint_depository.aspx

I would recommend emailing them direct @ pmds@perthmint.com.au to verify!

I've not used the service but I have a quantity of their silver coins (kookaburras) and they are great!

Offline Lucid

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Perth Mint
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:01:41 AM »
I live around the corner from the mint.  Don't think they are the only ones who do this.
Peter Schiff has this type of account available but the money doesn't come straight from your gold accumulation, you have to sell it to him at 96% spot.  Since you bought it from him at 104% spot you'd want inflation to be pretty bad to make it worth your while.  I have dealt directly with the mint and got a 4% spread (2% in and 2%) out.
I have also dealt directly with Ainsley Bullion in Queensland and got an even better deal.
I have also dealt with Adelaide Exchange Jewellers in Hobart.
Notes: if you want physical posession then by dealing locally you reduce freight and insurance, this can easily make it worthwhile with dealing with a more expensive PM broker.  If you want "unallocated holding" then it doesn't matter how far the dealer as long as you can afford the email.
Lucid, TSP member in Australia.