Author Topic: Going Home, good prepper EMP fiction  (Read 26656 times)

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
Going Home, good prepper EMP fiction
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
Just finished this one and enjoyed it. Reads kind of like Patriots in the gear aspect but it is better written.
Pretty much the story of a guy's trek home while being on the road and caught by an EMP. Fortunately he has a get home bag that seems to have everything he needs. Descriptions are good and I picked up some good gear ideas.

It is setup for a sequel with DHS as the bad guys.

Scenarios are plausible and while the DHS stuff is extreme in its implication, you can see it happening. The writing is pretty good with some typos. A much better story and characters than Patriots but the inspiration is there.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-ebook/dp/B00AGEXVV0/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361942977&sr=1-1&keywords=going+home

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Going Home, good prepper EMP fiction
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
Just grabbed it for my Kindle....thanks.....

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
Just threw it on the list for the next kindle purchase, thanks!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Has anyone made a list of what's in his backpack, and calculated what the weight would be?

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
Just finished it this morning. Thought it was a very good read, enjoyable and informative for a new prepper.
After watching the events in Boston, yeah I can see the DHS angle coming to pass. Especially with the DHS new go to video bad guys.
As a big city first responder, I have noticed a rise in drills across the nation in which "preppers" are the terrorists. In my view, its conditioning.

Offline Westbound

• Prepper
    • Prepper Book Review
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
Looks like the second book was released last week.  It's called Surviving Home.  I just bought it and sent it to my tablet so I can start on it when I get home tonight.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the heads up westbound.  I just ordered it on my e reader.  I loved Going home.  so did my wife.

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »
As a big city first responder, I have noticed a rise in drills across the nation in which "preppers" are the terrorists. In my view, its conditioning.

Say What?
Info Please.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »
OK, I just loaded this on my Kindle, then I noticed the pen name for the author is "Angery American". Misspelling your pen name does not bode well for the level of editing within.  After reading many volumes of prepper books I begin to wonder if there is an inverse correlation between interest in prepping and literacy.  I am hoping the "book" is much better than the "cover."

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
OK, I just loaded this on my Kindle, then I noticed the pen name for the author is "Angery American". Misspelling your pen name does not bode well for the level of editing within.  After reading many volumes of prepper books I begin to wonder if there is an inverse correlation between interest in prepping and literacy.  I am hoping the "book" is much better than the "cover."

It's actually deliberate. I forget why, but there is some kind of slang/subtle meaning change that comes with the extra letter. I tried to some web-fu to find the reason, but I am at work and kinda loopy, so my web-fu failed me. But I remember seeing it somewhere in specific relation to this author.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
Has anyone made a list of what's in his backpack, and calculated what the weight would be?

i think at one point he says his pack was about 60 pounds, when he first started off, but never mentioned dropping weight.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
It is setup for a sequel with DHS as the bad guys.

Which was published last week.  Woo!  Now where the heck did I put my kindle?

In case anyone missed it, here's a recent interview with the author:
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/a-american-on-going-home

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Which was published last week.  Woo!  Now where the heck did I put my kindle?

In case anyone missed it, here's a recent interview with the author:
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/a-american-on-going-home

the sequel is out? what's it called, i must have this sparkly thing!

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »
thanks, i found it last night too. i saw that i can borrow it from the lending library... so it looks like i'll be borrowing my wife's kindle and hiding it from her for a few days.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »

It's actually deliberate. I forget why, but there is some kind of slang/subtle meaning change that comes with the extra letter. I tried to some web-fu to find the reason, but I am at work and kinda loopy, so my web-fu failed me. But I remember seeing it somewhere in specific relation to this author.

That is what I started thinking after reading the first few chapters.  It is fairly well edited, only an occasional missing/jumbled words.  Overall a decent job of editing.  The story line is pretty good as well.  The guy needs some serious pack weight discipline though. Both an EESE5 and ESEE4 knives? A tarp AND a poncho? A heavy steel grill? And Esbit stove (love them) AND a multi-fuel stove with both butane and gas? If you are planning to hoof it a couple of hundred miles or more, you need to strip that sucker down and pack mostly freeze dried food not MREs. Bare essentials.  I did like the attention to water and the utility of a filter and purification tablets.

I enjoy the story so far in Going Home. Reasonably priced and good amount of pages for the $3-$4 per book.  Story is well thought out, interesting characters and situations.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »

i believe he explained it during his interview with jack. it is deliberate. can't remember exactly what.

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
Surviving home - possible spoiler
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
Read Surviving Home over the last week. Thought it was OK, not as good as the first IMO.

STOP NOW to avoid possible spoiler

I found Morgan to be as much of a problem as Mark. Morgan offers no advice other than to say do something, but not with my stuff, I wont play.
The area Morgan's home is in is described as having over 100 residents, with lots as big as 40 acres. Out of all this, there are about 5 guys willing to work together, and everyone seems to just what is needed. "Oh yeah I have 10 rolls of fencing in the barn with the 8 eight pigs" in the suburban residential neighborhood.
The ease with which both Morgan and Thad kill was a bit disturbing. Torture is made to seem to be second nature.
The crew with Sarge seemed to be more conflicted about killing than the civilians. Truth be told, I was more interested in the Sarge's story line than than Morgan's, I just couldn't like Morgan as person in this book.

Hypax

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Read Surviving Home over the last week. Thought it was OK, not as good as the first IMO.

STOP NOW to avoid possible spoiler

I found Morgan to be as much of a problem as Mark. Morgan offers no advice other than to say do something, but not with my stuff, I wont play.
The area Morgan's home is in is described as having over 100 residents, with lots as big as 40 acres. Out of all this, there are about 5 guys willing to work together, and everyone seems to just what is needed. "Oh yeah I have 10 rolls of fencing in the barn with the 8 eight pigs" in the suburban residential neighborhood.
The ease with which both Morgan and Thad kill was a bit disturbing. Torture is made to seem to be second nature.
The crew with Sarge seemed to be more conflicted about killing than the civilians. Truth be told, I was more interested in the Sarge's story line than than Morgan's, I just couldn't like Morgan as person in this book.

Hypax

i agree with you about the 'sarge' story line, much more intriguing than thad and morgan, i'm in the middle of surviving home right now.

i was also going to post about morgan and thad killing. part of me thinks they do it a little to easily but another part of me thinks i might feel differently if i were in their shoes. if i'm being honest i think it might be easy for me to kill if i were put in that stiuation, but i'd like to think it wouldn't be. if my family was on the line and i was being threatened i might not care at the time, but i would imagine i'd have to deal with it later.

**Spoiler***

in the first book when morgan killed the black kid he seemed to talk it over to himself and question whether or not that was the right thing to do. but that seemed to be the only time that he did that. after that it was almost like it was all downhill from there.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
Anyone know when the sequel will be available on nook?  I've emailed the author butt haven't heard back.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
I finished both Going Home and Surviving Home.  I thought they were both great.  Pretty decent editing for once.  Good amount of story per book and reasonable price.  The story flowed pretty well between scenes and groups.

As far as the killing I think it does sort of reflect the difference between military and civilian attitudes in those situations.  The military "operators" are highly disciplined and trained.  They can apply the force needed at the time and hold back as long as possible because they know they can rely on their training to go into high gear if and when it is needed.  Also, the Sarge group is not protecting their families, just themselves so far.

Civilians are not trained like that in general and in this story. Once threatened they can fall apart, or overreact, or in a small fraction of cases react just as much as needed.

SPOILER ALERT
I think Morgan explained his thinking pretty well. If you threaten his family then there are no rules.  Thad saw that his family was murdered hideously by essentially govt agents. Other characters such as Mark see their families threatened and just draw a blank.  They have no concept of pre-emptive action for defense. Different people will react differently. 

Also, I think the author has things a bit compressed in the book in order to get on with the larger theme developing of tyrannical govt oppression.  Just as in 299 Days I don;t things would spiral out of control so quickly as depicted in the book and people would not be jumping to extreme actions so soon.  But I think in both books those individual events are just the build up to the main theme of govt oppression and rebellion so they kind of fast forward through those early days.  In reality the first two books in Going Home may take a year or more to develop, not just a month or two.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
Also, I think the author has things a bit compressed in the book in order to get on with the larger theme developing of tyrannical govt oppression.  Just as in 299 Days I don;t things would spiral out of control so quickly as depicted in the book and people would not be jumping to extreme actions so soon. 

Don't bet on it.  Forty eight hours after Katrina cleared the MS Coast, things were definitely beginning to take on a Road Warrior feel in my neighborhood.  Not anywhere near full-blown, but you could see the stress on people after three nights' bad sleep and no electricity or running water.  Or no cigarettes for many, especially cigarettes.  The National Guard started getting relief to people soon after that so it never really got bad, but man oh man, I'd hate to see how things would be a week after a widespread EMP event.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 06:09:06 AM »
Don't bet on it.  Forty eight hours after Katrina cleared the MS Coast, things were definitely beginning to take on a Road Warrior feel in my neighborhood.  Not anywhere near full-blown, but you could see the stress on people after three nights' bad sleep and no electricity or running water.  Or no cigarettes for many, especially cigarettes.  The National Guard started getting relief to people soon after that so it never really got bad, but man oh man, I'd hate to see how things would be a week after a widespread EMP event.

I remember seeing this after Hurricane Sandy. http://www.glennbeck.com/content/blog/show/mercury-one-responding-to-hurricane-sandy/
Short version is that after Sandy hit, a bunch of teens/young adults formed "wolf packs" and were roaming the streets, etc.
That is only a side note in the link above, but it seems telling, to me.

MightyRunt

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
I really enjoyed both books and anxiously await number 3.

Offline Absit

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »
I'm glad I caught this thread, read Going Home and didn't know a sequel was out.  Now I own both.

Offline CarlD

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:23 PM »
I thought both books for good and worth the purchase price.  I will purchase the next one that comes out.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »
I have read both of the books, two thumbs up.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
i had borrowed the second one on my wife's kindle. i didn't finish it. for some reason it wasn't grabbing me like the first. she wanted to borrow a new book and i just shrugged my shoulders. i may pick it back up eventually.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »

I remember seeing this after Hurricane Sandy. http://www.glennbeck.com/content/blog/show/mercury-one-responding-to-hurricane-sandy/
Short version is that after Sandy hit, a bunch of teens/young adults formed "wolf packs" and were roaming the streets, etc.
That is only a side note in the link above, but it seems telling, to me.

Has anyone found any more references, preferably not just anecdotal, about these roaming "wolf packs?"

That particular article contained only second- or third-hand info.  I can't seem to find any other sources that don't reference this particular article about armed, roving gangs.

The Professor

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
Angery is killing me....when is second book coming out on Nook???