Author Topic: OSU's Skills for the Year  (Read 1215 times)

osubuckeye4

OSU's Skills for the Year
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
1) Diet and Exercise - lose 40 pounds in the year (started the year at 270)

2) Diet and Exericse - Competitively run in a 5K race

3) Child care - Continue to learn how to be a great dad (have a 3 and a half month old daughter)

4) Organization - Continue to develop better organizational skills, both in the workplace and at home

5) Firearms - Go to the shooting range at least once every 3 months

6) Debt - Continue to pay down "bad" debt (credit cards)

7) Cooking - Learn how to prepare dishes that involve more than just an oven and/or microwave

8) Fishing - Get out and fish and clean the fish I catch, at least 3 times this year

9) Reading - Read at least 3 books this year

10) Debt Management - Refinance my mortgage (currently at 6.25%)

I know it's only 10, but I think that caring for my daughter is going to teach me MANY additional skills.  :)

osubuckeye4

Re: OSU's Skills for the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
I did have all of these in mind when I started the year, just finally got around to writing them down. I have some updates as of today (2-28-13):

Diet and Exercise - Has been going great. I've lost 17 pounds since the year started and I've done it in a very healthy way. Have cut soda pop out of my life compeltely, have also cut unnecessary/non-celebratory drinking out of my life, have also limited myself to one fast food meal a week and have been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables. I'm waiting till I get down to the 240-245 range (and for all the snow/ice to melt) before I start running, but I've been spending at least 2 hours a week on the elptical and doing circuit lifting to help improve my body composition as I lose weight. The nice thing is, I have learned that I can lose weight without starving myself. I eat 2000 calories or so a day, but they are better calories than I ate in the past... and I've cut out a lot of those unnecessary drinking calories from alcohol.

Child Care - Has also been going great. The wife and I have got our daughter on a schedule and I made it through a weekend pretty much alone (well, the wife was working 12 hour days and crashing to sleep when she got home) without any assistance. I really learn at least one new thing with her every week, but so far, so good.

Organization - Completely cleaned the bedroom and organized our walk-in closet one weekend. Also went through the kitchen and completley re-organized our pantry and got rid of all expired food in the fridge/freezer/pantry.

Debt - Is going well, but it's been tough with all the medical bills from our daughters birth. I'm paying things down and have been focusing on the interest accruing debt, and most of it is paid off. Next step will be paying off the debt that is not currently accruing interest.

Debt (2) - I close on my re-finance on Monday. Lowered my interest rate from 6.25% down to 3.85%. Long as I stay in the condo for 14 months, every month after that will be a gain for me, and I'll have $180 each month to put towards paying off the debt mentioned above. On top of this, my wife will be 100% debt free (outside of student loans) in July, so that will be another $400 a month we can put towards paying off debt and savings.

Cooking - I've been making much healthier meals for myself and my wife. I'm still nowhere near her level of cooking expertise, but I'm learning with her and will help with a lot of the preperations.

So far so good. My motto pretty much every week has been, "you've done well so far, but there's a long way to go". Just taking it one day and one week at a time.

I haven't been able to get to the firing range at all, but it's really been hard with a infant daughter at home and a wife that works 50-60 hours a week and who works most weekends.