Author Topic: 5 mo old daughter has a cough  (Read 2985 times)

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
5 mo old daughter has a cough
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »
our daughter has had a cold this week and we were wondering what we can do for her? there dont seem to be a lot of medicines for her age and we tend to like the more natural remedies anyhow. She hasnt been feeling well most of this week but at this point mostly just has a runny nose and a cough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Herew

• Survivor
Re: 5 mo old daughter has a cough
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
Baby specific vapor rub, vapor bath, a humidifier, saline drops. There's not much you can do.

Watch for labored breathing, retraction of the chest cavity when she breaths in, flared nostrils, and wheezing. This is the time of year for RSV. Our two month old just got out of the hospital with it.

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
Baby specific vapor rub, vapor bath, a humidifier, saline drops. There's not much you can do.

Watch for labored breathing, retraction of the chest cavity when she breaths in, flared nostrils, and wheezing. This is the time of year for RSV. Our two month old just got out of the hospital with it.
ditto...
A nebulizer can loosen up her breathing if you have one. Otherwise a steamy bathroom.
My son had RSV at 3 months, then again the following year. Crossing our fingers to avoid it this winter.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »
try rubbing GOOT on her chest, back and feet

GOOT:
1 T melted coconut oil
1 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic

combine and let sit for a few minutes, then strain the garlic solids out.  I press the GOOT through a fine sieve and press and press.

store in the fridge, and apply liberally.

bonus - warm the container in a bowl of hot water, and dribble in sore ears
rub on the outside of a sore throat

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:17:46 PM »
Do you have a suction bulb syringe for her nose? Babies hate it, but it really clears out their sinuses.

Offline Hunteeee

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • broadheadquarters
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
Hey, I have this home remedy that I've got from a friend. And they said proven it works. Put some vicks vapo rub on ur baby's feet (base) and cover them with socks during night while sleeping. My friend had told me that it works, right after a short while. Hope it really helps ur baby. Anyway, no harm trying this! Let me know if it works. Good luck.

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
thanks for all the responses! Sorry for my delayed response.. she actually started feeling better within 24 hours of my last post and I forgot to come back and check for responses.. life has been crazy since then.. move across country for a job.. I have taken down the suggestions in case she gets sick again. I have a great immune system myself so I pray she takes after me. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Offline Stachys

• Prepper
  • Winter is coming.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
Here's a great one that I just have to share with everyone.  It's relevant to scary coughs in infants.  It's by a great herbalist in OR named Richo Cech.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151286327912348&set=a.364419547347.155613.348837717347&type=1&theater

Offline The Chihuahua has Spoken

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
Richo's great!  I love getting their catalogs just for reading his descriptions.  I also have his books, a tincture press, the seed screens....