Author Topic: Red River Gorge!  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Red River Gorge!
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
So I'm going to take a few days at the end of the month and hit the Red River Gorge to do some hiking and camping. i was wondering if anyone might have any information on where to get some good maps for the Gorge. I would really like to find a map that has the unofficial trails as opposed the main ones. i'm taking my 14 year old nephew on his first camping trip and i really want to make it memorable. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Red River Gorge!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
My favourite trail runs up to eagle's nest along a huge creek that flows into the river. There is a rappelling spot where you can go down like 280 feet with only one rub spot.

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
 Yeah Eagles nest is amazing! i've only been to the Gorge a handful of times and I've never bought a map. i know there's some maps out that that  have some of the unofficial trails, but i have no idea where to get them. also does anyone know of a waterfall that you can supposedly camp under or next two.. i vaguely remember passing one but we didn't stop....i gotta remember to take notes this time....grr....

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »
I think thats one is the one that goes down in elevation from the begining and then circled back around to the start. I have not be hiking in gorge in 10 years or so. I got a couple places to day hike closer to home.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
I camped all over that area last summer for a week or two. I set up base camp near Cave Run Lake on the backwaters of the creek that flows into it (tons of creekside / roadside camping spots to pick from) — the NFS office at Cave Run Lake had tons of maps of the hiking / mountain bike trails in the area that were pretty detailed and good enough for us to go biking with etc.

The gorge hiking I did was all day-hikes and didn't go really far back into the woods there, but the scenery and rock formations etc are SPECTACULAR.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
I am blessed to have awesome trails right in my backyard.  I can see the east face of the pinnicles of berea from my house. If any of yall ever pass by this way and have the time drop me a line and I'll be your pinnicle guide.