Author Topic: Who all is looking at quail now?  (Read 79639 times)

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
Who all is looking at quail now?
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
I was looking at quail a few years ago, but only at bobwhites.  Now since moonvalleypreppers interview, I've got some Coturnix on order and started building my cages.  DW thinks I'm nuts, "do people actually eat these things?" lol.  She thought people hunted quail for sport, not to eat. 

I've listened to that interview 3 times so far trying to get all the information.  ;D  Who else is jumping on the quail train?

Offline hutchsteaders

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Who all is looking at quail now?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Just moved onto some raw land this past fall so there is a lot to do. I am really hoping to get started with some quail this year along with goats and rabbits.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
I will be looking at them. Space for me will not be an issue on the homestead, long term plans I would like to set up some chicken tractors to follow my renter's cattle rotations. However, bobwhites have really taken a hit in my area due to fescue and decreased habitat. As I can afford to improve the habitat every year, if a few bob white happened to escape and repopulate my property, so much the better. This will also encourage me to become a predator hunter as fox and bobcat will naturally appreciate my personal quail re-introduction efforts.

Offline GardenLady

• Prepper
  • Permaculture Buff
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
I started off with a male & 3 female coturnix last year egg laying was steady at 2 - 3 eggs a day until winter. I never added additional light for the winter, so they stopped laying. While they were laying during the summer I observed mating & tried to hatch some eggs in a home made incubator but was unsuccessful.

I just bought an incubator with fan and egg turner, planing to get 100 or so eggs this year to end up with a nice sustainable flock for eggs & meat. They are very easy to take care of & quiet little birds.

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
I'm driving about an hour away to pick up some regular coturnix chicks in a few weeks, but I've been considering ordering some of the jumbo texas a&m eggs off of ebay.  Saw one post saying they've been able to breed theirs up to 16-19 oz.  Last year I built my own still air incubator, and hatched out half of my chicken eggs.  A friend bought an $80 incubator and had about the same amount of success hatching his chickens as my $10 DIY version. I scored a bigger cooler at a garage sale and am gonna add a thermostat, computer fan, and manual pvc egg turner.  That should bump up the hatch rate.

Offline red211

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
I will be looking at them. Space for me will not be an issue on the homestead, long term plans I would like to set up some chicken tractors to follow my renter's cattle rotations. However, bobwhites have really taken a hit in my area due to fescue and decreased habitat. As I can afford to improve the habitat every year, if a few bob white happened to escape and repopulate my property, so much the better. This will also encourage me to become a predator hunter as fox and bobcat will naturally appreciate my personal quail re-introduction efforts.

Skunks, coons, and opposums are nest raiders and will wipe out the eggs.  Snakes will eat eggs also so you have a lot more to worry about than just fox and bobcat.  House cats are really hurting rabbit and bird numbers too.  Good luck with the quail, I love this place more all the time. 

Anyone have a link to some good quail stuff?

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
I've been researching all kinds of quail info lately on the QT since DH threatened to move out if I became a "farmer."   :'(

Anyway, here are a number of links for quail info and equipment:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/
http://whitequail.com/
http://flyingafarm.com/order.html

http://whitequail.com site was really a great site with lots of information. 
I also really liked this site.
http://www.gamebird.com/coturnixquail.html

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »
Between the podcast, and being currently chickenless due to a dog, i have been considering quail, but i want broodie birds, even if the production isn't there.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
Z has been raising Coturnix for years, but now he wants to switch to Jumbo for dual purpose.

Cedar

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
Feel free to get a hold of me if you have any questions from the podcast.

Some more links:
http://www.cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/cd3wd/AGRIC/B17MIE/EN/B1143_5.HTM#B1143_5_8
Lots of good background info in this one as well as lots of other small scale livestock options.

http://ratguide.com/breeding/breeding/breeding_methods.php
Crash course in breeding, pertains to rats specifically but same process for everything else.

http://whitequail.com/
I love this one, short and to the point.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/coturnix-japanese-quail-the-biggest-little-homestead-bird-by-bigdtc-in-maryland.html
Survivalist geared towards raising quail.

Between the podcast, and being currently chickenless due to a dog, i have been considering quail, but i want broodie birds, even if the production isn't there.

I've heard of silkies being used to brood quail eggs, never tried it myself.

My local TSC has a Little Giant incubator and egg turner (without quail rails) for $34.99 each ($10 discount on each) until April 21.  Their regular price for 24% protein DuMore brand chick starter is $19 for a 50 lb bag. 

That's a hell of a deal on the LG w/ a turner! I have used the DuMore chick starter a few times when I was running low and my local place forgot or ordered the wrong stuff for me. When I got the Purina back on hand I just mixed them together, no problems.

A friend bought an $80 incubator and had about the same amount of success hatching his chickens as my $10 DIY version. I scored a bigger cooler at a garage sale and am gonna add a thermostat, computer fan, and manual pvc egg turner.  That should bump up the hatch rate.

That's awesome about the DIY incubator. I am planning on making my own cabinet style incubator sometime this summer, mostly so I can get my fermentation chamber back and keep all the quail related stuff in that garage.

Love the SG-1 avatar, one of the few shows I have watched season 1 - 10 multiple times  :) and of course SG Atlantis.... good times...

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
Moonvalleyprepper do you have a link to thread you did with pics of your setup?  I would much appreciate it

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »
Moonvalleyprepper do you have a link to thread you did with pics of your setup?  I would much appreciate it

No thread yet, I know I know, but I'm currently only getting 1 day off every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. I'll make sure it's worth the wait once I get it together.

my flickr pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonvalleyprepper/

Making about 7#'s of rabbit biltong tonight, really excited about that it's crazy good.

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:53 PM »
No thread yet, I know I know, but I'm currently only getting 1 day off every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. I'll make sure it's worth the wait once I get it together.

my flickr pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonvalleyprepper/

Making about 7#'s of rabbit biltong tonight, really excited about that it's crazy good.

Pics was mostly what I was hoping for thanks for flickr link

Looking forward to whatever else you got for us.

Thnks again,

Andrew

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
i want to do it, but the wife said no :( apparently i have too many other projects going on... maybe one day. if we ever move though and get some acreage then i most definitely will be doing it, i did get her blessing with that.

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
i want to do it, but the wife said no :( apparently i have too many other projects going on... maybe one day. if we ever move though and get some acreage then i most definitely will be doing it, i did get her blessing with that.

Coworker is interested.  His wife said NO also, but she doesn't go into the garage much.   :D

Offline plague45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
My goodness....It never even occurred to me to "ask" my wife for permission.  I guess I just told her that I was going to start raising quail and that I was really excited to do so.  She just kinda laughed and said "OK". 

What I have done so far:
*  built shelves to hold three 4ft x 2ft cages
*  finished one 4X2 cage this weeked
*  Built a brooder box (rubbermaid tote)
*  ordered incubator and other accessories.
*  spent countless hours scouring the web, watching videos, and listening to Moon's interview

What I have left to do:
*  finish the other two cages
*  assemble a watering system
*  assemble a feeding system
*  find food
*  find birds/eggs

This checklist was more for my benefit than yours, probably  ;D

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
My goodness....It never even occurred to me to "ask" my wife for permission.  I guess I just told her that I was going to start raising quail and that I was really excited to do so.  She just kinda laughed and said "OK". 

lol, i didn't ask. i was excited and started talking about it and she gave me a flat 'no'. i have so many other things going on that i think she'd kill me if i went ahead and did it. my actual plan is to get some of the stuff i'm working on done, make some place in the garage and go ahead and do it once i have a little more grace with her. happy wife happy life.

Offline plague45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
lol, i didn't ask. i was excited and started talking about it and she gave me a flat 'no'.

Ahhhh...OK.  That makes complete sense.  I was concerned that I just plowed ahead without at least bouncing the idea off of the dear wifey.  Only difference is that when I excitedly brought up my plans I got the supportive 'chuckle' as opposed to a concrete NO.

Sorry to get off topic....back to quail talk!  ;D

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I got that "your crazy!" look when I first mentioned it to the wife. I've already got chickens and rabbits, am running my first batch of cornish X now.  A few months ago it was a pig or two that I was wanting, so this is nothing new for me to pass by the wife.  ::) 

What I have done so far:
*  built shelves to hold three 4ft x 2ft cages
*  finished one 4X2 cage this weeked
*  Built a brooder box (rubbermaid tote)
*  ordered incubator and other accessories.
*  spent countless hours scouring the web, watching videos, and listening to Moon's interview

What I have left to do:
*  finish the other two cages
*  assemble a watering system
*  assemble a feeding system
*  find food
*  find birds/eggs

This checklist was more for my benefit than yours, probably  ;D

Nice Job!

I've got two 2x4 frames made, now just need to add wire to the top and sides.  Storage totes work great for brooders, have one downstairs in the dinning room with 4 layers waiting to move outside. 

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
If anyone has pics of their setups or of just their ideas, plans, success stories etc would be greatly appreciated.

Im looking at small scale just maybe half dozen or less layers no incubators for me at least for now ;p

Thanks

Offline GardenLady

• Prepper
  • Permaculture Buff
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
What's the optimal cage height and size for 1male and a harem of female quail? I've read if the cage is too tall, but not tall enough they may flush and damage themselves if frightened. I'd like to stay away from that range of height, but I haven't read whats an optimal height?  Thanks for all the good ideas guys!

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »
What's the optimal cage height and size for 1male and a harem of female quail? I've read if the cage is too tall, but not tall enough they may flush and damage themselves if frightened. I'd like to stay away from that range of height, but I haven't read whats an optimal height?  Thanks for all the good ideas guys!

Around a foot.  They fly straight up, so you don't want it high enough that they get speed.  I've read as low as 10" or as high as 18", any higher and they could break a neck if they hit the roof, unless you use something soft for roofing.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 05:51:48 AM »

Mine are 9" tall, this still gives the birds 1-2" of head room. The general internet wisdom is to build them tall or build them short. I've personally never had one jump and damage it's head, but they can jump 2-3' straight up so I'm sure it's possible.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 07:06:07 AM »
 :popcorn: tagged because this is some GREAT info to go over when I am ready to start.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »
 I am thinking about putting a cage in a greenhouse. Them little guys have to put off a lot of heat. What is the temp ranges again?

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
I am thinking about putting a cage in a greenhouse. Them little guys have to put off a lot of heat. What is the temp ranges again?

I have read they like it around 75 degrees F, then again who doesn't. I haven't been able to test the upper limits to their temperature range, but I have some experience with the lower limits. They did fine in an unheated garage this winter with temps in the mid to low 20's. We had about a week where it hovered around 0, they didn't care for that much, but I only lost 2 out of the lot. During this cold snap they all but stopped laying also.

They do give off a bit of heat, not sure exactly how much. If I put my temp sensor sandwiched between two of the cages it was reading about 15 degrees F above ambient. Between the 70ish quail, and the 9 rabbits my garage stayed about 10 degrees F above ambient all winter. The space is about 15'x30', uninsulated, wood lathe sheathing which is not very tight. You can feel the wind inside when it's blowing hard outside.

If you can heat a greenhouse with chickens, I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with quail.  :)

Offline plague45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
I want to be sure I understand the process as it pertains to raising and breeding quail for my intended purposes.

Goal: produce a regular supply of eggs and meat for day to day consumption with some surplus for food storage needs (family of 4, two young children).  Long-term goal is to breed for larger birds.
Plan:  I will be starting from scratch with no quail and begin with hatching quail.
Setup:  I will have three 4 x 2 ft cages and a brooder box.  At least 1 of the 4 X 2 cages will be divided in two 2 X 2 cages, both of which would be for breeding (2 males & 10 females per cage).

Here is what I think I understand but please feel free to shoot holes in it or call out any concerns:
     1. Incubate eggs until they hatch at 17-18 days
         18 DAYS
     2.    Move all of the hatchlings to a brooder box with a density of 10-12 birds per sq. ft.
     3. Keep quail in brooder box for 17-21 days
         35 DAYS
     4. Move all of the quail to a grow-out pen with a density of 3-4 birds per sq. ft.
     5. Keep quail in the grow-out pen (4 X 2) for 17 days (roosters and hens together?)
         52 DAYS +
     6. Begin culling males.  Cull all but 4 roosters. 
     7. Put 2 roosters and 10 hens in each of the two 2 X 2 cages – (breeding cages)

To summarize, what I would have at this point would be:
a. Two 2 X 2 cages with 2 roosters and 10 hens each – breeding cage
b. One 4 X 2 cage with X number of hens – unfertilized eggs
c. One empty 4 X 2 cage
d. One empty Brooder

8.    Gather the desired amount of fertilized eggs…I will need to get a feel for this
     9.    Incubate and hatch eggs
    10. Begin replacing roosters and hens from first hatch and start breeding for size.
    11. When population density in the non-breeder cages exceeds 3-4 birds per sq. ft. begin harvesting birds as needed. (or build more cages  ;D)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »
keep up the ideas!

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
I am in. I have been nixed on the chickens for a couple years. I showd a few pictures, and my wife is OK with it. Not happy but OK.

@moonvalleyprepper, I am still not finding the feeder thing you made, I even took the pictures to the lumber yard.  Can you make an end shot with the end cap off? or a picture of some scrap?