Author Topic: Slosheepdog's 13 skills thread  (Read 3483 times)

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Slosheepdog's 13 skills thread
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »
Starting out putting some things down as I progress. My 13 skills profile is at http://13skills.com/member/4845/slosheepdog.
First, a picture of MY CABBAGES!!!

This is also a technical test since I've has a hard time getting pics from my phone to the forum. I should make that one of my skills!

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Slosheepdog's 13 skills thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »
The cabbages are the results of my attempt to garden this fall/winter. I'm currently preparing for the spring/summer garden. I have much more space available than last year!

There are some positives that come with living in California, such as my orange tree. I like oranges very much.

My posts in the is thread will likely be heavy on the gardening at first because that's what I'm working on right now.  I am looking forward to working on my other skills as well.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
After looking at a few other's 13 skills threads I realized maybe I should post what my skills list!  It's an ambitious list for me considering other obligations I have, but I thought I would aim high. Here's the skills that I would like to improve this year:

Marksmanship — To compete in a shooting competition, such as steel challenge or IDPA.
Firearms — Obtain a handgun.  Become proficient with each of my firearms
Fitness — Become more fit. Specifically, be able to do 20 pull-ups and 50 push-ups, and run a 10K at 8:30 mile pace.
Self Defense — Setup system for self defense at home.
Lock Picking — Obtain lockpicking kit. Be able to pick common locks.
Concealed Weapons Permit — Obtain CWP. Live in a "may issue" county. Attempt to be issued.
Gardening — Productive garden using new space created last fall.  Grow more things family enjoys eating.
Fruit Orchard — Plant 5 fruit trees along northern fence. Prune flat against fence.
Nutrition — Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Eat minimal sugary foods like candy. Keep eating ice cream.
Canning — Can a minimum of 2 different items, one from the garden, one store-bought in bulk.
Cycling — Develop system that allows family to ride together - bike trailer with windshield, etc. Ride into town for weekend fun as family once per season.
Fiber Arts — Learn basic sewing and clothes repair. Sew MHI patch onto favorite hat.
Reloading — Learn how to reload. Barter to use equipment. Reload two boxes of ammo.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
I turned over my compost and found these critters everywhere.  Is this a problem?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »
Crustaceans in your compost!

They're grinders and not a problem unless you're not seeing other crawly things like insects and worms. If sow bugs (woodlouse, roly polies, pillbugs, armadillo bugs) are the only thing within your compost pile it could mean that the pile is too wet or you've got a lot of anaerobic action going on.

On the other hand, it could just be them chewing up the thicker woody pieces that you see in the photo.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »
To keep this thread focused on my progress on the 13 skills I created a "slosheepdog's garden" thread here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=41966.0 I will post here when specific skills are acquired/completed
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:29:55 AM by SloSheepdog »

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
Crustaceans in your compost!

They're grinders and not a problem unless you're not seeing other crawly things like insects and worms. If sow bugs (woodlouse, roly polies, pillbugs, armadillo bugs) are the only thing within your compost pile it could mean that the pile is too wet or you've got a lot of anaerobic action going on.

On the other hand, it could just be them chewing up the thicker woody pieces that you see in the photo.

Yeah, that makes sense, thanks.  Last fall I put a 20 ft tall hedge that ran the entire length of my backyard into the woodchipper and put the mulch both into the compost bin and all over the garden space. The same creatures are under the 4" of mulch in the garden too.  There is lots of wood, and there used to be lots of green leaves with it. I have found worms and other critters when I dig deeper. I'm going to put this picture in my garden thread too so I can track it in one place.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »
I completed one of my skills! So far this year I have been highly focused on gardening and running. My goal for running was to complete a 10K at a average mile pace of 8:30 or faster. Last week I completed a 10K with a pace of 8:15 per mile! I have been running a lot and it feels great!

Another of my skills is to really eat nutritious meals, and thanks to my wife i have been! So I'm ready to claim victory on that skill as well. Now I need to maintain start on some of the other skills.

Summary:
Gardening - planted and growing well so far
Fitness - complete!
Nutrition - complete!

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »
Fiber Arts: Learn basic sewing and clothes repair. Sew MHI patch onto favorite hat.  Complete!

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
I'm actually progressing in some of my skills. I'm not sure what I was expecting to happen for the year but I think that setting the goals motivated me to accomplish what I might not have otherwise. Anyway's, here's the catch-up of updates:

Firearms — Obtain a handgun.  Become proficient with each of my firearms.
   Handgun is purchased. Practice with it and other firearms in progress.

Lock Picking — Obtain lockpicking kit. Be able to pick common locks.
    I have the kit, and have succeeded one time in actuating the lock. Will continue to practice.

Concealed Weapons Permit — Obtain CWP. Live in a "may issue" county. Attempt to be issued.
   Update: it does not look good for this goal. I have realized this is not so much a skill as it is a task that may be impossible.

Gardening — Productive garden using new space created last fall.  Grow more things family enjoys eating.
   Garden is doing well. Pumpkins, beans, winter squash, lots of kale and chard. Will mark complete at harvest.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
I've been slowly making some progress on the skills. Updates are below. I'm now at 6 complete, 4 in progress.  Thanks for looking!

Marksmanship — Completed
  To compete in a shooting competition, such as steel challenge or IDPA.
  Update: Competed in local handgun competition and enjoyed it. It was a good experience, and there were very friendly people.
Firearms — Completed
  Obtain a handgun. Become proficient with each of my firearms.
  Update: Complete! Though one always can improve.

Gardening — Completed
  Productive garden using new space created last fall. Grow more things family enjoys eating.
  Update: We've harvested two rounds of beans, kale, swiss chard, pumpkins, turk's turbin squash and many blackberries.
  Read More:http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=41966.0

Fruit Orchard — In Progress
  Plant 5 fruit trees along northern fence. Prune flat against fence.
  Update: Planting spots have been chosen and I am waiting for the fall to plant, when the bare-root trees do best in the transition.

Cycling — In Progress
  Develop system that allows family to ride together - bike trailer with windshield, etc. and ride into town for weekend fun as family once per season.
  Update: Family now has two used bike trailers, one with good windshield. This is plenty of cargo space and seats for family. Need to clean up and minor repair them though.