Author Topic: Which Stove to Buy?  (Read 12231 times)

Offline derajer

• Survivor
Which Stove to Buy?
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
Much of my stored food either requires (rice, beans, etc...) cooking or is intended to be (canned soup, etc...) heated and I live in an apartment with an electric stove, so I would like to buy a multi-fuel/liquid-fuel stove. What would you suggest? I have looked at the Optimus Hiker+, the MSR EKG EX, and a Brunton model. I want to burn as many liquid fuels as possible, especially gasoline, diesel, and kerosene. Whitegas really doesn't matter since it is always expensive and will not be easily acquired in times of economic hardship, likewise with AV fuel.

dragonart

Re: Which Stove to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
Much of my stored food either requires (rice, beans, etc...) cooking or is intended to be (canned soup, etc...) heated and I live in an apartment with an electric stove, so I would like to buy a multi-fuel/liquid-fuel stove. What would you suggest? I have looked at the Optimus Hiker+, the MSR EKG EX, and a Brunton model. I want to burn as many liquid fuels as possible, especially gasoline, diesel, and kerosene. Whitegas really doesn't matter since it is always expensive and will not be easily acquired in times of economic hardship, likewise with AV fuel.

Hi since you live in an apartment with an electric stove I would not recommend getting a liquid fuel stove.  You may not be allowed to store liquid fuels, what do you do when you run out, and what happens if there is a fire?  Instead what I would recommend is storing charcoal and a small hibachi or outdoor cooking stove; one that you can setup in an area that wouldn't catch fire.  Or look for something cast-iron or camping-equipment related for boiling water.  It doesn't have to be very big and again can be portable.

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:12 PM »
I am allowed to have liquid fuels (in accordance with Iowa law and my lease), but NOT charcoal. Moreover I have already considered the risk vs. benefits for the situations which I forsee this being used for and have already made the decision to use a multi-liquid fueled stove. I am simply seeking the best possible stove for this purpose.

GroundPounder

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »
How much fuel are you allowed to store?  How much do you think you can safely store?  Can you have propane cylinders?

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
There is no limitation on how much I can store that I am aware of, and yes I can have propane and already have a propane grill (though I pine for a charcoal smoker/grill). The point of this is not to have in case of the end of the world, but rather to give me flexibility to fill in gaps such as power outages, travelling to my BOL, etc...

Offline Doc Savage

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »
The coleman dual fuel stove is good at a resonable price.  Not great for backpacking but would be good for bug in.  You might want to consider a 2 burner stove that attaches to a propane tank.  Either the small models that attach to a 1 lb bottle or the larger cast models that attach to a 25 lb tank.  I would get the model that would also fit the bottle for your grill.

GroundPounder

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »
As someone who has been in emergency services for 20+ years I really would caution you on your fuel storage.  It would be unheard of not to have some sort of laws and limits on liquid fuel storage in an apartment building.  Gas vapors can travel a great distance to find an ignition source.  I have seen it happen.

For power outages a gas grill can last a long time.  Think about how long you go between refilling you grill.  Keep the fuel stored outside. 

For BO purposes I would choose a sealed canister fuel that wont even have the potential of leaking.

Just looking out for ya bro.

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
I am sure that you are correct about some municipal or state laws limiting the storage of liquid fuels, I just meant that there are no limitations in my lease. I am not purchasing this stove so that I can store fuel for it, I am purchasing it so that I have something that I can siphon the gas out of my own vehicles or something else if for example I get snowed into my apartment and electricity and propane are no longer options. This is just for added flexibility in addition to my stove, propane grill, and burning wood at my BOL if it goes that far.

Offline iron mike

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:13:50 AM »
How many people are you planning to cook for?

I tend to collect alot of "camping gear"  Portable stoves can be dicey for cooking over long periods of time (45 mins or more) due to limited fuel capacity.

The optimus hiker,  peak 1 or coleman single burner multifuel would all be strained in cooking a pot of beans for instance.

One solution would be to put those partially cooked beans into a thermos, put that thermos into an insulated box & let them finish "tenderizing" that way

You might want to consider a coleman 2 burner multifuel w/ a lg propane tank adaptor.   They also make a folding oven to go w/ it.

GroundPounder

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
Take a look at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-One-Burner-Sporter-Dual-Stove/dp/B0009PUQAU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1224081973&sr=1-7

It meets your requirements to use Unleaded and it quite portable.  It throws our over 10K BTU which should be ample for basic meals, just dont expect to make a 5 course dinner with it.  I would try to use White gas when possible though because it burns so much cleaner and will prolong the life of the stove.  Be sure to always use something like this outdoors. 

Its on sale with free shipping too.  If you get it be sure to post a report with pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:13 PM »
I'd go with the basic Coleman dual fuel stove.  Spare parts can be bought readily so you can be prepared if something goes wrong with it.  Coleman's been in business for ages & their designs are proven.  If you're going to be cooking at home with it then go for the dual burner model, it has a wide footprint and is extremely stable.  You won't have to worry about tip overs & what not.

As a side note, I've been burning gasoline in Coleman stoves since before there was a "dual fuel" stove.  The odd accident is rare with gas stoves but they do occur so as usual proceed with caution. 

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
have you considered the pop can stoves.i have five of them just sitting on my computer desk. they use rubbing alcohol and some have to have methyl alcohol. they are small lite weight and easy to start. plus i got one from a website it needs methyl to work right, but i got that from my local auto parts or wally wold. its called HEET it's a gas line anti freeze (yellow bottle).
here's a link in case you might want to try to make a couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_LKCFlG6k&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=minibulldesign&search_type=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heet-Gas-Line-Antifreeze-Water-Remover12-x-12oz-Case_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1240Q7c39Q3a2Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem260292479905QQitemZ260292479905

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »
I know you want to burn as many different fuels as possible, but you should take a look at the Trangia or Svea military alcohol stoves.  I use them backpacking and they are great.  They require little space and they are SILENT!  A silent stove might be an advantage in a populated area.

With alcohol, you have lots of options.  You can burn denatured, 90% rubbing alcohol and grain alcohol.  If you stock the rubbing alcohol for the stove you have a dual use item: first aid and fuel.  If you stock grain alcohol for the stove you have another multi use: first aid, fuel and getting drunk!

Lucretius

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Take a look at a swedish Trangia stove.... maybe too heavy for a BOB, but indestructible and practical in most other ways...

z96Cobra

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 01:28:29 AM »
If you really want a liquid fuel powered stove, I would also recommend an old Coleman stove.  We also burned unleaded fuel in ours (Coleman lanterns too) many years before they came out with the "dual fuel" stoves.  You can get very nice ones at a flea market for cheap!  Usually all it needs, if it isn't working, is a new generator or pump rebuild kit.  Both are very cheap and easy to find.  We have at least 3 different Coleman stoves.

Another thing I keep around is the 1 lb. propane bottles.  I bought a single burner stove that screws on top of em for less than $20 at Wal-Mart, its Coleman too.  IMO, the 1lb propane bottles are a lot safer to store, especially inside your house/appartment.

Roger

Offline stevebluff

• Prepper
  • arte et marte
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
Some pretty good posts.
- Coleman dual fuel (burns unleaded petrol/gasoline) is hard to beat.  There is also a larger twin burner version.  Cheap to run. Fuel can also be used for your car!!
- Trangia stoves are easy to use but more expensive to run than gasoline. no moving parts, less to go wrong.  Very easy to use. Fuel smelly!
- bottled gas stoves, high calorific value (versus say a trangia), need to use the correct fitting canister type, possibly hard to find in survival situation
- Multi fuel liquid stoves: (MSR, Primus, Optimus).  Will burn almost anything, expensive, but ultimate multi fuel option. Don't forget fuel bottles.
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/webpoint/webpoint.cfm?BRAND_NAME=&FULL_RANGE=0&FUSEACTION=main&SHOWMESSAGE=0&GOTOLOCATION=0&SESSION_EXPIRED=0&BRAND_FULL_DESCRIPTION=&MENUSTATE=N

Also consider cook ware (pots, pans, kettles) and eating utensils.  Aluminium light but some worries about long term use. Titanium, light, strong but expensive.  Basic aluminium "mess tins" fine for most things!!

BR  Steve

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
I am suprised at this group not mentioning the MSR Whisperlite Internationale. It can burn everything from dirty old Kerosene (AKA Diesel #1 & #2)  to AVgas. A good backpacker and relatively cheap. Cation is that modern white gas does not last much more than 5 years without treatment (like unaltered gasoline) so rotate your stocks!

Offline stevebluff

• Prepper
  • arte et marte
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 12:44:08 AM »
I am suprised at this group not mentioning the MSR Whisperlite Internationale. It can burn everything from dirty old Kerosene (AKA Diesel #1 & #2)  to AVgas. A good backpacker and relatively cheap. Cation is that modern white gas does not last much more than 5 years without treatment (like unaltered gasoline) so rotate your stocks!

Hi,  the whisperlite is an excellent stove, a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for in quality!  To be honest I mainly light my own wood fire now (haven't used a stove, apart from my mini trangia for a couple of years now) but i appreciate that is not always possible.

Br
Steve

bioboy

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »
I have two burner Coleman stove and have had it for about 9 years now. I have not had an issue cooking for a family of five on it with beans and rice. boils a large bot of water quick for heating boil in bag meals. The fuel stores fine as does the sealed canister for the stove. I also keep charcol and a grill. around in case I haven't run out of gas yet. I like that I can turn it off when I am done and waste less fuel. If you can't store charcol. Get a Hibachi and store wood not charcol. I don't know if they do it in your area but they sell firewood in my area along side the charcol or collect firewood at your BOL. A lot of those stoves are used more because they are light weight if your looking for bug in I'd go with a Coleman.         

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 07:48:41 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »
Check out the Brunton Vapor AF.......It burns anything!  Fuel: Butane, White gas, Kerosene, Diesel #1, Auto Fuel, and  Jet Fuel

Here's a link to the review:  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Brunton%20Vapor%20AF%20Stove/Test%20Report%20by%20Kevin%20Hollingsworth/

It's on my list, but right now I have both Nat. Gas and electric cooktops, a propane BBQ, a propane Coleman and a Charcoal BBQ..........so for me it's a bit down on the list.

Offline schild

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »

I love my Optimus stoves because I've had them forever. You can't beat the dual fuel Coleman and you can find them cheap on Ebay.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
I am familiar with the blue optimus in the pic.  Just curious, what optimus model is the OD colored one?  I have wanted to pick up a coleman like yours in the pic.  My wally world had them for $38.  I waited too long because just when I decided to buy one they had upped the price to $45!! 

I would really like an optimus 8R.  They seem like a great system but they are out of my price range on eBay.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
I am going to throwing in another vote for a Coleman stove.  I have an older 2 burner model I picked up at a yard sale for $5 and they tossed in a full, sealed, can of white gas.

If you want something smaller and to buy new, those single burner dual-fuel stoves are looking pretty sexy.  From the specs you can keep that thing going for hours, more than enough time to cook up a pot of beans from scratch.  It is also light enough you could pack it out with you to a BOL if needed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:36:49 PM by spartan »