Author Topic: Confusion over Dillion presses  (Read 3590 times)

Offline philbert

• Prepper
  • Infrequent TSP Forum member
    • Philarly Farm Blog
Confusion over Dillion presses
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »
Hi all,

I have recently applied for my handgun permit (at least a 6 month process in Australia) and so I am now looking into reloading options for pistol calibers.

I have a basic Lee single stage press to reload my rifle cartridges, and it's showing it's age, so ideally I would like to buy one new progressive press that will do both pistol and rifle calibers.  It seems that they have one XL650 for pistols, and another one for rifles?! Am I misunderstanding this?

If you can't do both with one, I would probably just get the "square deal" press for the pistol (most likely a 9mm or 38super) and shop independently for a good multi-stage rifle press, such as the Lee turret type models.  I have watched videos of the Square Deal, and loading the cases and bullets manually is fine with me - I am not imaging trying to load thousands of rounds in a session.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline philbert

• Prepper
    • Philarly Farm Blog
Re: Confusion over Dillion presses
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »
Actually, it seems like the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP might be a good alternative, and it certainly does pistol and rifle equally.

Niccolum

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
The Dillon XL650 can do all common calibers as can the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. You're going to pay a lot more for the Dillon and all of it's accessories up front and over time than the Hornady though. In a shameless plug of my blog, I outlined my selection process for a reloading process here:

http://investanickel.com/2013/02/07/choosing-reloading-press/

and then gave some product-review-ish thoughts on the Hornady LNL-AP here:

http://investanickel.com/2013/02/09/product-review-hornady-lock-n-load-ap/

Hopefully you'll find the information helpful.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
I reload both rifle and pistol on my 650.

Offline philbert

• Prepper
    • Philarly Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:28:16 AM »
No worries Niccolum, plug away!

I think I found your earlier thread after I posted mine, and I have been looking at the Hornady product since.  It seems cheaper, and seems to do just as good a job.

The guys at the pistol club were talking about Dillon gear, so I guess it's the "Cadillac" option?

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Just remember, any issue with a Dillion, they replace the parts no questions asked.  Get a primer stuck in the primer tube, call them, a new one is on the way, no need to risk trying to get it out, not sure Hornady is this good.

Niccolum

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
I think I found your earlier thread after I posted mine, and I have been looking at the Hornady product since.  It seems cheaper, and seems to do just as good a job.

The guys at the pistol club were talking about Dillon gear, so I guess it's the "Cadillac" option?

While Hornady is priced less than the Dillon, I haven't found mine to be in any way "cheap". I view Dillon definitely as a premium brand trading on its name. I've been very happy with the quality of mine and I think the power measure is demonstrably better. YMMV obviously.

Niccolum

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
Just remember, any issue with a Dillion, they replace the parts no questions asked.  Get a primer stuck in the primer tube, call them, a new one is on the way, no need to risk trying to get it out, not sure Hornady is this good.

Hornady has a lifetime warranty as well but I don't know if that'll cover your specific example. I had a problem with one of the bushings that I bought and when I called to ask Hornady's support about it, Hornady mailed me a box of them without my even asking.

Offline philbert

• Prepper
    • Philarly Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:50:04 AM »
Well, I bought the Hornady, with 6 die holder sleeves and two shell plates, it came to AU$1000.