Author Topic: baiting for rabbit or squirrel when hunting  (Read 3659 times)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
baiting for rabbit or squirrel when hunting
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
I'm quit sure this is illegal most anywhere. For example scattering out some nuts in small target zone. Then setting back with a good stable position and waiting for the critters to go for the nuts. With rabbit I'm not sure what one might use. Maybe a pile of many types of greens. Alfalfa, Clover etc.

A brief search on the net suggested to me that in Arkansas the bait has to be removed more than 10 days prior to he hunt. Anyone know about this?

Bonnieblue2A

Re: baiting for rabbit or squirrel when hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
Hunting over bait for anything is usually considered highly illegal. Frankly, I've never heard of anyone baiting for rabbit or squirrels.  This time of year inadvertent rabbit hunting can happen in tall grass on a riding lawnmower but useable meat isn't generally remaining. Yes, rabbits really do scream like those varmit callers when run over by the mower.  :'(

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
Check your AR laws at the Arkansas Game and Fish Commissions. 
http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/HuntingOtherSpecies.aspx

Baiting varies by state.  For example in TX you can bait for deer and hogs but not for migratory birds and some other animals.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
Besides the ethics and typical laws preventing this practice, if you have to bait rabbits or squirrel to bag one, you are probably not in the right area to hunt them to begin with.

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
For squirrel, peanut butter bread or bread with almond extract. They love bird seed as well. I actually catch more in my live traps with no bait at all so curiosity or the sent of their ancestors is a good attractant. Haven't used it with actual hunting though.