Author Topic: Deer Hunting check off list?  (Read 10407 times)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Deer Hunting check off list?
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:51:19 AM »
Sp tomorrow I'm taking the Hunter Safety Course in Miami. I have no idea what to expect because I've never hunted before. Can anyone provide me with a check list of materials I would need if I went hunting for a weekend in the Carolinas? At present the only rifle I own is a 30-30 repeating rifle with no scope and 9 mm handguns.

Materials for camping, hunting, cleaning and first aid if possible.

thanks,

Joe

Offline rtaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Deer Hunting check off list?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
A good knife.binoculars

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »
Clothing appropriate for the climate, toilet paper, and a good book

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »
You didn't really say what you already know.
I would start off with a picnic in the area you're going to or as close as you can manage. Then a full day trip, then an overnight. Then about 5 more overnights.
The worse the weather is, the more you'll learn. Being cold, wet, hungry for even a short time sucks.
Time of year is important, a place can be fine till a certain season and then rain for days on end, higher elevations can have weather changing quickly. What is there? Cabin? Tent? Nothing? Water? Is it dry ground or wet?
You'll get a pretty good idea what you need. You'll feel the urge to have all kinds of do-dads and gizmo's but really focus on what you can do without.
You can very easily get overcome by all the "it would be nice to have"s. Travel light.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:42:02 PM by Perfesser »

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
Sp tomorrow I'm taking the Hunter Safety Course in Miami. I have no idea what to expect because I've never hunted before. Can anyone provide me with a check list of materials I would need if I went hunting for a weekend in the Carolinas? At present the only rifle I own is a 30-30 repeating rifle with no scope and 9 mm handguns.

Materials for camping, hunting, cleaning and first aid if possible.

That's a good question but not a very realistic one for us to answer. . . .  We don't know what gear you already have, what you are willing to spend for gear you don't have, what the weather conditions will be, or how comfortable you intend to be.

If camping, hunting, cleaning, and first aid are all new for you . . .  The last thing I'm going to do is recommend that you do them all at the same time, for the first time in your life.

Do you know how to take care of your animal if you kill one?  Killing the deer is the easiest part. . . .  I came across 4 elk hunters last fall that were lucky enough to drop an elk.  It was very obvious they had no idea what they were doing, but when I offered my help (on the condition they gave me the heart and liver, which they didn't want anyway) they wanted me to do it all (uh, no thank you) and when I said I would watch and instruct they didn't listen to a single thing I suggested and one by one they each told me they had it figured out.  When they got it all in their meat bags all I could think about was how disgusting that meat was going to taste. . . .  They told me they didn't know how to cut up their meat and that they were taking it straight to a butcher.  I've known many a butcher in my days and know without a doubt that when they get meat in that condition they are going to figure the guy doesn't care about his own meat and they are certainly not going to care for it (clean it further) any more than the customer did himself.  Some will even refuse to take it depending on the condition it is in. . . .  YUCK!

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:28 AM »
Deer hunting in the carolinas can vary a lot from one region to the next, and even from one wma to the next. You have plenty of time considering the first deer season in SC doesn't open until august 15th. Where are you planning to hunt? County or wma would be fine. When I go hunting for 5 days in pickens county, my equipment for hunting, and especially camping, varies from what I would take on a 7 day hunt at marsh wma in marion county,  and varies still yet from a 14 day trip to francis marion national forest.

Use this summer to just camp. Camping is camping, regardless of what you do during the day. The equipment i take to a week of camping at table rock varies almost none from what i take bear hunting one county away, and i actually take less hunting than just camping.

When it comes to the hunting part, i would start with day trips. A week long hunt hunt camp.is nothing more than a week of campifng with 5 hunting day trips added.

If I remember correctly from previous posts, you are in SC correct? I'm not trying to get you to divulge info you aren't comfortable sharing, but I have hunted all over SC for every big game animal this state has to offer and knowing more info on where you will be hunting will help tailor my advice. Also the type of hunting you plan on will change your equipment, stand hunting is different than stalk hunting, which is very much different than hunting deer with dogs. All of which are an option depending on area.

The game zone, county, or wma will help. You may even be close enough for me to meet with you, and actually show you.

Your 30-30 will be fine, add a good knife, a set of small binoculars, small first aid kit, a flashlight or even better, a head lamp, a fire starting method, a map and good compass, and an orange hat or vest. Thats pretty much the basics. Some areas i'll take more.

Offline weaseltrap

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »
They have deer in florida? well for any hunting scenario you need a knife, water proof matches, orange, extra ammo, signal mirror dry cloths, a gun and a compass or GPS but both would be good. Happy hunting!!!!

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:45:50 AM »
the type of hunting you plan on will change your equipment, stand hunting is different than stalk hunting, which is very much different than hunting deer with dogs. All of which are an option depending on area.

You guys can hunt deer with dogs?  We can't even hunt bear or cougar with dogs.  Be can't even bait bear.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:40 AM »
We can in certain parts of the state, but it is on the decline. One thing I had to get used to when I moved here is these jokers hunt damned near everything with a dog. Litterally. I think they would fish with a dog if they could get a dog to hold it's breath long enough.

Basically, in some way, shape, or form, you can hunt deer, bear, and pigs, as well as all small game with a dog. The only things there is no way to hunt with a dog are turkey, and alligators. Most of the state technically has no baiting. You can bait coyote and hogs on private land in the low country but thats it. But, a judge passed a ruling in court which made prosecuting baiting so hard that the game wardens were told not to even try until a new law gets passed. Basically if they can't prove that YOU placed the bait, WITH the intention of hunting over it AND you hunted over it, AND you harvested an animal, AND they can prove you shot the animal, then thwy can prosecute.

Hunting deer with dogs is pretty much restricted to private land in a handful of game zones, and there are weapon limits.

In michigan where I learned to hunt, a dog running deer was bought and paid for and subject to be shot. Down here you may have just shot someones champion deer hound and end up paying through the nose and catching a charge. The land you can do it on is so damned swampy theres not much other way to hunt it.

We can't hunt mt. Lion, there here but rare. I've tracked them several times, but only seen one once in 13 years living here, and I spend a lot of time afield.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »
To the OP - I went on my first elk hunt last year and while I didn't get an elk, I did learn alot.  Figure out where you'll be hunting and scout it out before the season starts.  Drive around and talk to the locals.  I was checking unimproved roads that were on my maps (get the best topo maps you can!) and stopped several times to talk to folks.  Learned that the road I had planned to access the area was actaully private and the land owner closed the gates during hunting season, but the same guy told me there was another way back to where I wanted to go.  Also got reports that it was a good area to hunt from a guy I ran into while I was on a camping/scouting trip.  If I'm still in CO this fall, I may go after an OTC tag and head back to that area - it was nice and we saw elk, just couldn't close on them!

Knife - get a good skinning knife, not too large, maybe 3 to 4 inches.  Bring a sharpener (and learn how to use it) to touch up the blade while you're processing.

Camping gear - depends on what style of camping you'll be doing.  Are you hiking into the area? or camping next to your vehicle?  Colorado Parks & Wildlife has some excellent information you can apply to SC.  Here's their Elk Hunting University lesson on Backpack Hunting - http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/ElkHuntingUniversity/2/Pages/BackpackHunting.aspx

Here's another page of survival information - http://wildlife.state.co.us/HUNTING/PLANYOURHUNT/RESOURCESTIPS/Pages/Survival.aspx
This is just the intro page, there are additional pages listed on the right hand side.

Here's a video review of a good basic FAK for hunters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zKD52QNds

Your hunter's education course will cover the very basics of first aid.  You will need to get additional education to be truly ready.

Good hunting!

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Good advice inconel710, hope you don't mind if I add to it.

To the OP - I went on my first elk hunt last year and while I didn't get an elk, I did learn alot.  Figure out where you'll be hunting and scout it out before the season starts.  Drive around and talk to the locals.  I was checking unimproved roads that were on my maps (get the best topo maps you can!) and stopped several times to talk to folks.  Learned that the road I had planned to access the area was actaully private and the land owner closed the gates during hunting season, but the same guy told me there was another way back to where I wanted to go.  Also got reports that it was a good area to hunt from a guy I ran into while I was on a camping/scouting trip.  If I'm still in CO this fall, I may go after an OTC tag and head back to that area - it was nice and we saw elk, just couldn't close on them!

I suppose some States will be different, but I go to the State Forestry District Office that is responsible for management for the area I intend to hunt.  I go to to the forester and the fish and game guy and get any intel I can from them.  Before I leave their office I get a "fire map" (usually $15) of the area I intend to hunt.  In my experience this map is the most up to date map offering information on available roads, permanent road closures, trails, and water.  It also shows elevation changes so you can get a good idea what you're in for before jumping in.  If you're unfamiliar with an area, scouting it is a very good idea for learning the area and planning logical ways to cover it, but keep in mind that deer and elk are migratory animals and are sometimes not found in the fall and winter where you found them in the spring or summer.

Knife - get a good skinning knife, not too large, maybe 3 to 4 inches.  Bring a sharpener (and learn how to use it) to touch up the blade while you're processing.

My .02 - Certainly have a sharpener available and know how to use it, but I prefer multiple blades when I'm field dressing and skinning.  The last thing I want to do during those tasks is stop and sharpen my knife, especially if the weather is bad.  They are small and light and you can't pack too many.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
Lots of good advice already.

joeandmich, the best thing you could possibly bring with you is someone that's familiar with the area and has hunted there before.  Going out there by yourself with no experience is not impossible at all, but its more difficult.  There's no one to share chores with, no one to swap lies - I mean stories - with, and if you get hurt you don't have any immediate help.  If you don't know someone that's familiar with the area it would still be helpful to have someone with you who's hunted a lot before.   Just something to consider.

I've not hunted in the Carolinas but we sold guided hunts for a living for years at one of our ranches in Texas.  I gotta dogpile on the knife.  If there's one universal tool that you gotta have its a sharp knife.  With a high quality knife you can get through several deer before they dull too much, but sometimes only one big hog.  Ideally I like one knife for food prep at camp, a beater for chores (cutting rope, kindling, etc), and one for cleaning animals.

Good luck on the hunt.  I hope you have fun.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
A friend of mine is taking me out to his property in central Florida for my first hunt. It will be for wild pig and he has a trailer and everything we need there already. I figured he can teach me until I feel comfortable to go to visit my cousins in Tennessee who lives right by Cherokee National Park. We'll try deer hunting there.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
Good boots which are well broken in and waterproofed.

And from someone who has been in Search & Rescue looking for lost hunters (who got lost as they would not admit to themselves they were lost)..
  • Take a outdoor survival course
  • Make sure to take your 10 essentials
  • Know the area you are going into
  • Take a charged cell phone and one of those family radios. 2 kids heard and saved 2 lost people from 60 miles away on those 2 mile radios.
  • If you are lost or getting too cold, stop and warm up. Stay put if you are lost.
  • Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back and STICK TO IT
  • Take someone with you
Cedar

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
Here is my hunting list. I don't take everything on there on every trip, it's just a checklist. Sometimes it's for deer camp, others its for grouse camp or whatever. It's in an excel spread sheet, whenever I am on an overnight trip I print it out and put it on the counter and check it before I leave. Not sure it helps but here it is FWIW.

Trip List            
Stuff to Remember
Gun
Mags
Ammo
Sleeping bag
Binos
Gun Cleaning kit
Fire Starter
Matches and Lighter
GPS (Patch cord)
Eye Protection (extra)
Ear Protection
Maps & Gazeteer
Cell Phone
Cell charger  (s)
Two Way Radios
Hunting Regs Book
Extra Truck Key
Meds
First Aid Kit
Knife
Camera
Batteries
Toiletries
Extra Contacts/Saline
Plastic/Storage Bags
Drinking water
Cooler
Fanny Pack
Mother Vest
Orange Hat
Duct Tape
Flashlights(headlamp)
Coleman Lantern
Hand Axe
Tree Saw
Multi Tool
Foot/Hand Warmers
Extra Choke Tubes
Hunting License
Gun Permit (Canada)
Chain Saw
Cordless tools
Reading Material
I- Pod & charger & ears
Ice
License holder
Lighter
Whistle
Garbage bags
Glasses
Machete
Towel
Battery radio
Get home bag

Clothes
Hat and Gloves
Boot Dryer
Rain Gear
Brush Pants
Sunglasses
Hunting Pants
Boots
Socks
Long Johns
Rubber Boots
Underwear
Bandana/shemagh
Hunter Orange if needed
Parka
Baseball hat
Suspenders

Food
MRE's (as emergency food)
Snacks
Soda
Beer
See grocery list

Dog Stuff
Dog Food
Bowls
Water
Crate and pad
Tags
Orange Bandana
Vet Info    Local numbers
First Aid Kit
Tie Out and Chain
Whistle and spares
Glyco charge
Astro and chargers

Truck
Shovel
Come-A-Long
Jumper Cables
Straps
Tool kit
Tire Sealer
Ice Scraper
Chain
Get Home Bag
Axe

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
Lots of good advice already.  Especially to take along someoen who is experienced hunting that are if possible.  If not, then consider it as much of a scouting/learning trip as it is hunting.  At the minimum you want to learn the lay of the land, scope out good areas and deer patterns for future years and do a shake down of your equipment.  IF you manage to get a deer on your first hunt consider yourself very fortunate.  But if you come out with a good plan for the next year then you are successful for a first hunt.

As mentioned it is pretty much camping for a week with day hikes cross-country to hunt (at least in the west).  Back East there you may do more hunting from a stand. Number one thing is to learn the hunting laws, WMAs, season dates, hours, etc.  Hunting has gotten much more complex in the regulations and it is very easy to make a mistake and find yourself unintentionally breaking a game law with harsh consequences (loss of firearm, hefty fine, suspension of license, etc).

Second is to have a good hunting map and topographic map of the area, with compass.  Really study this before hand to identify likely spots for exploring and setting up.  I don't know the habits of white tail, but lactail out here like the brush and when hunted heavily can hide out in the brambles in ravines and you have to flush them out. Also be aware of the various boundary lines for WMAs, govt lands, and private lands so you know where you are permitted to go and where you need to get permission.

Then you need you "after the shot gear."  What you use for the pig hunts will give you an idea of what you need for the deer hunt in terms of gutting, skinning, etc.  But also consider what you need to care for the meat if you are going to be out there for several days.  Are you bringing game home the night of the kill or do you need to hang it up or cool it for a couple of days? 

How far off the roads are you planning to hunt?  That will determine what you need to carry out the deer.  If each hunter needs to haul out his own deer then that takes more thought.  Will you bone the meat to reduce the weight and carry it all out at once?  Are you going to halve or quarter the deer and carry it out cross-country in multiple trips? Likely in the dark. Are you going to agree to meet at dusk and help dress and carry out any game? How will you coordinate with each other.  Out West we can be a few miles off the road in steep terrain and heavy brush so you have to have some sort of plan how to get the meat out and what to do with it for the days you are camping.  Back East maybe this is less of an issue.  But, I would certainly want to think through the logistics of what happens after you shoot the deer.

Binoculars are essential I think.  Do NOT use your rifle scope to identify game. That could be another hunter you are pointing your rifle at.  I like 7x or at most 8x binos because I can get a good stable view hand held.  10x and above I have to have a solid rest to see anything.  Good boots is another essential.  You likely will not be just on trails or roadways, but having to go cross country even if just to tree stands. And hopefully you will be carrying out an extra 50-150 lbs., most likely in dim light.

Always keep basic survival stuff with you, especially if you are going to be hiking cross-country.  Hunting season can ring unpredictable weather.  You will need some water, snacks or food with you. I like to have two of everything critical such as compass, fire starter and knife.  Even a second rifle would be good for the group to have available for anyone that has a rifle issue.  One slip on a wet rock or on a steep hillside can turn a nice zeroed scope into useless trash.  This is your big hunting trip for the year so you don't want to be sidelined because of a simple equipment failure; have backups if possible, at least within the group.

Remember to have fun.  Don't obsess with getting a deer your first time out.  Think of it as a learning trip and getting game is icing on the top.  A safe trip out from which you lear a lot for the next year builds a solid foundation for future hunting success.  Going out and someone getting hurt, spoiling the meat, or getting lost and not really llearning anything about the land or deer habits will make hunting a lot less fun and no more successful the next year. Be a deliberate, safe, learning hunter. No deer is worth someone getting killed from poor firearms handling, not taking time

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
Here is my hunting list. I don't take everything on there on every trip, it's just a checklist. Sometimes it's for deer camp, others its for grouse camp or whatever. It's in an excel spread sheet, whenever I am on an overnight trip I print it out and put it on the counter and check it before I leave. Not sure it helps but here it is FWIW.

Trip List            
Stuff to Remember
Gun
Mags
Ammo
Sleeping bag
Binos
Gun Cleaning kit
Fire Starter
Matches and Lighter
GPS (Patch cord)
Eye Protection (extra)
Ear Protection
Maps & Gazeteer
Cell Phone
Cell charger  (s)
Two Way Radios
Hunting Regs Book
Extra Truck Key
Meds
First Aid Kit
Knife
Camera
Batteries
Toiletries
Extra Contacts/Saline
Plastic/Storage Bags
Drinking water
Cooler
Fanny Pack
Mother Vest
Orange Hat
Duct Tape
Flashlights(headlamp)
Coleman Lantern
Hand Axe
Tree Saw
Multi Tool
Foot/Hand Warmers
Extra Choke Tubes
Hunting License
Gun Permit (Canada)
Chain Saw
Cordless tools
Reading Material
I- Pod & charger & ears
Ice
License holder
Lighter
Whistle
Garbage bags
Glasses
Machete
Towel
Battery radio
Get home bag

Clothes
Hat and Gloves
Boot Dryer
Rain Gear
Brush Pants
Sunglasses
Hunting Pants
Boots
Socks
Long Johns
Rubber Boots
Underwear
Bandana/shemagh
Hunter Orange if needed
Parka
Baseball hat
Suspenders

Food
MRE's (as emergency food)
Snacks
Soda
Beer
See grocery list

Dog Stuff
Dog Food
Bowls
Water
Crate and pad
Tags
Orange Bandana
Vet Info    Local numbers
First Aid Kit
Tie Out and Chain
Whistle and spares
Glyco charge
Astro and chargers

Truck
Shovel
Come-A-Long
Jumper Cables
Straps
Tool kit
Tire Sealer
Ice Scraper
Chain
Get Home Bag
Axe

Wow that's a lot to carry

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
uh....yeah.

Luckily it's in the truck.  :)

endurance

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
My .02 - Certainly have a sharpener available and know how to use it, but I prefer multiple blades when I'm field dressing and skinning.  The last thing I want to do during those tasks is stop and sharpen my knife, especially if the weather is bad.  They are small and light and you can't pack too many.
I completely agree.  While a sharpener is great in theory, once your knife is covered in blood and hair, it becomes difficult to clean and sharpen in the field.  I also like to use one knife outside the body to cut through fur (it's terribly dulling), then have a couple very sharp knives for skinning and removing the entrails.  Generally, by the end of field dressing, I've used the Wyoming Skinner, a Mora 780, a Condor skinning knife and my EDC pocket knife (and wished I'd had a couple more sharp knives available).

One of the slickest set ups I used to have was a pocket knife that used a number 10 scalpel blade that you could swap out during the gut.  I had it for all of one year before I lost it and haven't seen one since. :'(

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
Clothing appropriate for weather, You need to sit still for a long time and you will be more affected by cold, wet, and hot.

I never go into the woods without the following.

lip balm, matches/ lighter, sunscreen, map, pocket knife or multitool, headlamp or flashlight, keychain flashlight, sunglasses, glasses case, 50' cord or light rope, 1 lg plastic garbage bag, 1 large, empty freezer bag, Bug repellent with DEET, Emergency phone numbers, Camping soap, wet ones wipes (single packs), First aid kit with personal meds, toilet paper, water treatment tablets, cash and quarters, Permanent marker, paper, tape, and water.

For hunting I also carry the following.

sent free spray
reflectors and blaze orange tape to find my stand.
camo net (8'X3')
lens cleaner
binoculars
shooting stick
seat pad
skinning knife and sharpener.
protein bars or lunch
hunting license
ammo
Camera
cellphone
pocket warmers

nelson96

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
One of the slickest set ups I used to have was a pocket knife that used a number 10 scalpel blade that you could swap out during the gut.  I had it for all of one year before I lost it and haven't seen one since. :'(

I use a Havalon Piranta, it has a replaceable scalpel for a blade.  It came with a sheath w/ extra blades and I ordered a second set of smaller blades to cape with.  The sheath holds the knife and at least 6 blades (I keep 3 of each size in it).  WARNING:  Use your multi tool to replace the blade.

You really don't need another knife other than this one, to do everything when it comes to field dressing and skinning, but it is irreplaceable for intricate work.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
I use a Havalon Piranta, it has a replaceable scalpel for a blade.  It came with a sheath w/ extra blades and I ordered a second set of smaller blades to cape with.  The sheath holds the knife and at least 6 blades (I keep 3 of each size in it).  WARNING:  Use your multi tool to replace the blade.

You really don't need another knife other than this one, to do everything when it comes to field dressing and skinning, but it is irreplaceable for intricate work.

Thats great to know.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
Oh and bring some patience.

I started hunting when I was about 5 and like most kids I was just waiting around to blast away.  As I got older I started to appreciate it more for being outdoors and for the experience itself.  Enjoy your quiet time away from the hustle and bustle.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Oh and bring some patience.

I started hunting when I was about 5 and like most kids I was just waiting around to blast away.  As I got older I started to appreciate it more for being outdoors and for the experience itself.  Enjoy your quiet time away from the hustle and bustle.

Until recently I've never been interested in hunting. For some reaon listening to my hunting buddies I got into it and pruchased a used Winchester model 70 with 30-06 caliber and scope for $350. It looks brand new so I took the Hunting Safety course in Miami and got more into it. I'm so glad there are people like you guys who I could talk to and get advice. I really appreciate it.

My first hunting expedition will be in central Florida this September/October for pig hunting. I'm going for about 3-4 days and staying at his trailer in central Florida for a few days. Hopefully I will learn alot and enjoy it.

thanks guys!!!!

endurance

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »

You rock, Nelson.  That's exactly the one I had.  Just ordered a new one from Amazon (came with a dozen blades and since I have a prime membership, it's free second day shipping).

I know this won't apply to Joeandmich in Florida, but one addition this year that was very nice was a small piece of foam from an old army ground pad.  Sooo much better than sitting on the snow and having your butt go numb.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
You rock, Nelson.  That's exactly the one I had.  Just ordered a new one from Amazon (came with a dozen blades and since I have a prime membership, it's free second day shipping).

I know this won't apply to Joeandmich in Florida, but one addition this year that was very nice was a small piece of foam from an old army ground pad.  Sooo much better than sitting on the snow and having your butt go numb.

Too funny!!!

nelson96

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »

YW, it's a great tool. . .  I first learned about two years ago when my daughters took their hunters safety course.