Author Topic: Sprouts laying down on their planters.  (Read 4920 times)

Offline AllYouNeedIsLove

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Sprouts laying down on their planters.
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
Some of our sprouts (broccoli, brussel sprouts, dill, and basil) are laying down on the soil in their planters. They are about 5 weeks old now, and most of our sprouts are doing decent-well but a few look very sad. A few of them did a similar thing - laid down on the soil and then proceeded to shrivel up and die. I've seen this before and don't know why they do this. Am I over-watering?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Sprouts laying down on their planters.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »
Do they look beautiful, but pinched at the very base of them? I almost guarentee you have 'Damp Off'. It is caused by a few things and it is a 'catch all term', but the end result is dead baby plants.

Keep the humidity down. Don't cover with those plastic covers, keep air flow good. I use powdered cinnamon on my flats when I plant and have never had 'damp off' ever again as cinnamon is a antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. You may want to use sterilized potting soil and bleach and then sunbath your flats/potting stuff in the sun for a couple days to disinfect it before next year. Don't water too much.. let them dry out to just this side of damp.. then water again. Folks do tend to overwater things.

Cedar

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
  • Chase the wind and touch the sky
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
Interesting!  I hadn't heard of using cinnamon for that - and I have a ton of it.  (But I have much to learn about starting plants, too!  So I peeked in here.) 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
I dont know where I learned the cinnamon trick from or if I just figured it out on my own, I dont know anyone else who does it, but I feel it works awesomely.

Cedar

Offline btn

• Prepper
    • Before the Need
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
I think Cedar is probably right about damp off, but another reason for this may be that they're getting too little light.  Sometimes seedlings will get very leggy (tall without much bulk) and just topple under their own weight.  To keep that from happening, get a grow light right down close to them, just a couple of inches away and they'll stay short and put their energy into getting strong.

Offline AllYouNeedIsLove

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
Thanks for the response Cedar. We've been using old egg cartons - I guess we go through a lot of eggs since we have 14 containers (dozen) we collected over 8 weeks or so.

Basically the sprouts start out looking great - but essentially the stems just get way too long, leading eventually to the aforementioned lying down condition.

We just started a bunch of new starts (the first round is 5 weeks old) since we're having such a late spring here so I might have a chance to correct my mistakes. Could I still sprinkle cinnamon on the starts I planted last weekend? Only the rocket and lettuce has emerged from the Saturday planting.

In the picture below you should see the cabbage in the left foreground doing pretty well, the dill in the middle foreground laying down, the broccoli in the left background laying down, and brussel sprouts in the left background (second to last cells) starting to lay down as well. The right most carton has the new rocket and lettuce just coming up. Thanks again!

Offline AllYouNeedIsLove

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Thanks BTN. I think you might be right. We had them a bit off to the side before and only now have moved them in front of a window getting full southern exposure. We have a heat lamp but no grow lights - I assume those are different right? The heat lamp will be occupied starting tomorrow anyway with baby chicks...

Perhaps full sun will do the trick and they can still make a come back.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
I don't see any 'pinch' marks, so it does indeed look like they are too lanky and falling over. They likely will not upright themselves perfectly with sunlight, but they will stay alive.

Cedar

PS Cinnamon will never hurt

Offline btn

• Prepper
    • Before the Need
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
Perhaps full sun will do the trick and they can still make a come back.

Be careful with full sun, that might be too much and just burn them.  Normally when you're getting close to planting them you can do a "hardening off" phase where you're exposing them to full sun and outdoor conditions for a small amount of time each day to let them adjust.

You can try re-potting them so a lot of that lanky stem is underground.  That way they're not laying over while they try to recover.  I've done that with some when they got like this and been successful.