Author Topic: What is the best camping/lounging Hammock?  (Read 11526 times)

Offline Vakota

• Prepper
    • North Dakota Disaster Preparedness (ND DP)
What is the best camping/lounging Hammock?
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
What is the best camping hammock?

Here are my requirements:

Rated for cold and warm weather
Bug protection
Lightweight
portable

Thanks!

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
Re: What is the best camping/lounging Hammock?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:14:23 AM »
For camping my preference is a Blackbird.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

For lounging I prefer an Eno double.

Offline Vakota

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »
For camping my preference is a Blackbird.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

For lounging I prefer an Eno double.

Thanks! I was looking at the Eno.
Why not use this for camping?
I saw the more expensive ($300 - 600) hammocks.  What makes them 'better'?

Offline BULL-IT

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »
I like the ENO double myself.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
http://www.hennesseyhammock.com/ 

here is one I want. However since I have found this one I have seen setups where you use a large rain fly stretched out like a tent over the standard hammock. You then use an Under-quilt and an Over-quilt. Though that setup had no mosquito protection. There may be an Under-quilt for the Hennessey hammocks. If anyone knows post some links of what I'm talking about.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »
I like the ENO double myself.

Have used the ENO double for many years, with their net system and tarp. No problems and many good nights sleep.

Only thing I would trade it for is a Clark. To me that is the best Hammock you can get, and is on my to get list.

If you cannot afford a Clark, buy an EMO and rest easy.

TW

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
OK I see there the Blackbird's have Under-quilts and Top-quilts.

Offline BillyG60

• Prepper
    • Central Florida Video Surf Report
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
I have an ENO Double, with Atlas straps. I just could not justify the price of the Warbonnet for myself, but It is hand made...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

Way more info than you will ever need at Hammock Forums....
Enjoy..

Offline Vakota

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »
I looked at the Hennessy Hammocks but they are a little out of my budget for now.  I also found this one:
http://www.outnorth.com/exped-eu/ergo-hammock-combi.php?rdir=1
which is very much out of my budget if I did the exchange rate correctly.

I think I'll go with a basic Eno Double for now and add the netting next month and the underquilt next next month.

Wow have hammocks changed over the years.  Very high tech now  ;)

I think I'm leaning towards hammocks over tents.....

Hammocks vs Tents?

Offline rotrhed

• Prepper
  • Just Some Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Seriously debating taking one of these outdoors...

http://www.treklightgear.com/

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
http://www.treeztreetents.com/ is also an interesting alternative

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
I have a Hennessy asymmetrical and a Clark North American.  I use the Henn in warm / hot weather and the Clark in cold.  Both are quality but pricy hammocks. 

I also just got this email from Clark today.
"We are celebrating 15 years of junglehammock.com with 25% off every hammock model in our online store until Monday, August 19."

If I didn't already own one I would buy one.

AM

d3nni5

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »

I got the Hennessy Expedition A-sym.   It stays in the BOB.   Very comfy, beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground.

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
Ok, where to start…

First, my Eno is a good hammock. But for me it's not long enough for the fabric it has (it's a double) and doesn't lay right. Have I camped in it? Absolutely. An Eno single might be better but I never tried one.

After my experience with the Eno I made a hammock. It was double layer and about 11 feet long. I hemmed all the edges and then double folded and hemmed the ends again. Gathered /folded everything up, whipped the ends and put a larks head knot in each end below the whipping. I love this hammock! No question it is great for lounging. You lie very flat it it due to the length.

For a tarp over head I started with a cheap poly tarp. Then I got a nylon diamond tarp that worked well for the homemade hammock.

Camped with this set up a few times. But I live where there are bugs. Lots of them. Did I mention I hate bugs?

Next item on the list was a bug net. I got the Eno net that goes around the whole thing. This worked ok but getting in and out with the zipper in the center of the side panel was a pain most of the time and almost impossible if one was in a hurry.

I made a simple under quilt for this setup out of a polypropylene "Neat Sheet" that I got at Babies R Us. They use them as simple sand blankets for kids. Worked well and I was comfortable down to 50 degrees without issue.

So what then? Well I was doing a lot of camping, mainly backpacking and this stuff was getting heavy. Additionally it was all rather bulky.

In an effort to help, and thinking myself quite the seamer (male seamstress) I made an asymmetrical hammock like the Hennessy with an attached bug net. Let me tell you, sewing bug netting sucks worse than working concrete, laying roof shingles or cleaning out a sewage tank…combined!!!

I did get it done and it worked. I used it for a year, but I was never really happy with it. It did shave weight and bulk off my load though. While I used this hammock I bought a much better tarp. Granted it was more expensive but it weighs less than a pound and is about the size of a softball.

I also made myself a top quilt during this period. The main reason was to save weight. I found it worked great in the hammock.

I looked at Hennessy hammocks and two things prevented me from getting one. The Velcro strip in the center was said to be annoying on the legs. Secondly, you couldn't unzip the bug net. This meant using it for lounging was problematic. I ended up getting the blackbird. I've never looked back or regretted it. It lays flat, the shelf concept is great, it feels very spacious inside. All "pros", no "cons".

Hope this helps.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
Like most things in life, it depends.  :)  If money were no problem, a Clark, Hennessy, or BlackBird would be bliss.  Although, some people don't like the bottom entry of the Hennessy.

+1 to HammockForums.  Lots of good info and people over there.  Also check out Shug Emery's YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery - informative and entertaining!

Personally, I've been building a system, bit by bit, for a couple of years.  I started with an Appalachian Hammock (when he was just another guy on a knife forum) and sleeping bag, added a Thermarest pad, a Sportsmans Guide tarp, a US GI Poncho Liner underquilt (instructions on HammockForums), and will be sending my hammock back to Appalachian to have a second layer installed that will hold the Poncho Liner.  Next upgrade will be a BCUSA 10x10 tarp because it has better tie out points and I can close it up at the ends.

Get an underquilt.  In summer time, you're fine without one. However, once the overnight temps start going below 60F, an UQ is vital.  Sleeping bags compress underneath you and pads don't provide full coverage.  I made it through a night in the mid-teens with a Military Sleep System 0F bag inside the Goretex bivy sack, on top of a Kelty air mattress, with the poncho liner jerry-rigged underneath.  This was before I found the HF instructions on how to do it correctly.  My feet were still cold though.  I'll be adding some Wiggy's insulated camp booties or USMC Happy Suit insulated booties to the kit.

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
Now, tent or hammock?

It depends!    Well gee that doesn't help!!!

Let me explain. It depends on where you camp. I camp in the Eastern Appalachian mountains and foothills. There are trees everywhere and usually finding a place to put a tent, even a small one Man unit, is an issue. However, I have put hammocks over fallen trees, above rocks, above small run offs that you'd never even dream of putting a tent on.

Now, if you are in an area that finding spots to pitch a tent is not an issue, well then you have other things to consider.

I always had an issue with my ground pad in a tent. I only ever had one that wouldn't give me back pain. Some so bad I could barely walk the next day! I finally found one that was comfortable. It was a blow up pad with insulation in it. It was about 3 inches thick. Ahhhh...comfort at last. But wait, what's this? How come I feel damp and clammy at night?

Turns out I "transpire" heavily at night. You can't control this, it just is. This is about the time I got into hammocks. All went well until it started getting cooler at night. I was off the ground and didn't have back pain to contend with. I tried a ground pad in the hammock for insulation but ended up damp...well now what?

This is when I found out about underquilts. I made one out of the same material I made my top quilt with. Luxury !! Good nights sleep, anywhere I could find trees, no back pain and I was dry !!!! The perfect combination… but wait there's more !!

One of the other things that I have always struggled with and pondered about was how to set up and take down in the rain. I defy anyone to put up and take down all their stuff and a tent, in the rain and keep things dry. I've never been able to do it... That is until I got the hammock.

When I get to a location the first thing up is the tarp. Me and the gear go under the tarp and everything is dry. A few excursions out in the wet to secures some lines and I'm done! Everything else can happen in the dry.

Some thing breaking camp. Last thing in the pack is the tarp and everything gets packed up in the dry.

Like I said, I've never looked back. I love camping.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 07:02:30 AM »
Another vote for the Hennessey.  I've had mine for 3 years and wouldn't use anything else.  Keep an eye open around XMAS as they usually have a sale of buy two and get a Scout hammock for free. 

I also believe they are a good company to do business with.  I bought hammocks for myself and kids with the above deal.  However, they ran out of Scout hammocks but instead of saying they were on backorder, they sent me an Expedition at no extra cost, which is a significant upgrade.

Offline Vakota

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
WOW this is all Very informative! 

I ended up getting an Eno Double.  I wanted to test the waters before getting a really high dollar rig. 
What I found out was - I LOVE HAMMOCKS!!

ONCE YOU GO HAMMOCK - YOU NEVER GO BACK! (I know it doesn't rhyme)

I've been in my tree every night this week!!   I think I will get 6 more!!
2 for the car
2 for the shop (sometimes we get snowed in and have to stay the night)
2 for the EDC's

I will def need a bug net and under quilt though.

Well gotta go - hammock is calling.  :D

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
get a cheapo walmart sleeping pad / yoga pad and cut it about 3/4 of your height - keeps hammock open and flat, much warmer and costs $5 vs $300 underquilt

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
Joeinwv - I'm gonna disagree, to an extent.  It depends on the person, but a pad will only get to so far in cold weather.

Based on my experience using thermarest closed cell foam pad, a Kelty air mattress, and a DIY GI Poncho Liner underquilt (PLUQ) in weather from 14F to 40F overnight, I'll take the underquilt everytime.  All three arrangements, my feet have gotten cold (hence the booties I'll be getting), but the nights with the PLUQ have been the best.  That 14F night (ten degrees colder than I expected) is when I jerry rigged the poncho liner the first time and it's probably the only reason I made it through that night with any sleep.  I've since used the PLUQ and GI 30F sleeping bag on a night that went to the 40's while my son had a 30F bag and just the Thermarest - he froze and had to sleep in the truck while I stayed comfortable.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
Check these out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2321875/An-tents-holiday-experience-Architect-designs-incredible-floating-tents-hover-feet-ground.html

joe

That is awesome, couldn't find a link to the mfg or sales site.

This will lead to many drunken UFO sightings. I'd hope that no drunk would shoot at my tent.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
I recall a thread over on another forum, I think it was Frugal Squirrel.  They did a group buy on a custom hammock that was a great idea.  You could use the hammock like the regular jungle hammocks.  But the coolest thing was they had a had a sleeping bag split in half.  The bottom half attached to the bottom of the hammock.  The top you could use as a quilt or attach it to the hammock.  By attaching the bottom under the hammock, you don't compress the filling with your body weight.

Wish I had time to find the thread, but maybe someone else will locate it.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »
I recall a thread over on another forum, I think it was Frugal Squirrel.  They did a group buy on a custom hammock that was a great idea.  You could use the hammock like the regular jungle hammocks.  But the coolest thing was they had a had a sleeping bag split in half.  The bottom half attached to the bottom of the hammock.  The top you could use as a quilt or attach it to the hammock.  By attaching the bottom under the hammock, you don't compress the filling with your body weight.

Wish I had time to find the thread, but maybe someone else will locate it.

That's what we have been talking about, underquilt and overquilt etc.

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Another option that I have used on several occasions is to use a a good wool blanket. I've used one folded in half for a pad. I've also used only one layer as the "ad"and the other half on top. Works well.
Also works to extend the capabilities when it get s cold no matter what other "system" your using.

Since you got the Eno...I would recommend the Eno Bug net. It's a little "fiddley" but it fits the hammock perfectly. I've really liked mine. Cheers.

Offline travisonfire

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
An alternative to the ENO is Grand Trunk.  Pretty much the same but the single is about as wide as the ENO double, same weight rating, comes with the ropes to go ahead and hang it up and it's a little less money.  Bought three for my family, I've used mine for the past three weekends in a row.  I have a large wool blanket that I use with a sleeping when it gets chilly.  so far it hasn't been below 45 since I got the hammock and I've been comfortable. 

I imagine I'll have to change things up for colder stuff. 

One more thing, learning a few good knots goes a long way in where you can hang it up.