Author Topic: Help me with my 3rd family camping trip  (Read 15714 times)

Offline iamabraineater

• Prepper
  • Husband to 1, father to 6, friend to many.
Re: Help me with my 3rd family camping trip
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »
so the egg thing in the water bottle sounds good.  Anyone know how long eggs will stay in a container like this? And does stainless vs plastic make a difference?

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
An easy to make any cooler keep ice cold longer than it otherwise would (if you can't afford the expense of a nice Coleman 5-day cooler or something like that...

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/ST16025-Reflective-Insulation-Double-Bubble-Foil-p/592022.htm?utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=free_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds&Click=1014&gclid=CMKM7-eHsLkCFc5FMgodP3YA5g

Reflectix (or similar) reflective bubble wrap insulation.

I bought one roll a couple years ago and believe it will last several more years. Using duct tape you can easily make a liner for your coolers that can be removed and even washed.

Also, large blocks of ice last a LOT longer than bags of ice. You can fill tupperware containers with water and stack them like bricks in your freezer. I have the best luck with the wide / flatter "blocks" than the "square-ish" blocks for space purposes.

I've had 2 large blocks of ice remain cold with chunks floating around for 3 days where I'd have to buy a bag of ice every day.

They also make "ice makers" that plug into your vehicle's power outlets that make a certain amount of ice in a certain amount of time (no idea since I've never seriously thought about one) — which would certainly help.

ICE is much better at keeping food cold than a refridgerator — and even one of those dorm-sized fridges would take a long time to cool down after plugging it in warm at a campsite.

Offline RSWarne

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
I’d echo the general theme of all of the responses thus far, keep it simple.  We have camped with children, regularly if not frequently, for many years.  We have gotten pretty lean with the amount of gear we take and the complexity and variety of our meals.  This has only increased our enjoyment.  Our daughter meal planned for a trip last week and learned quickly why we eat simply while camping.

Note to campers, the National Park Service and many states have been placing restrictions on access to “sensitive” areas when accompanied by a dog.  Check and plan ahead to avoid having someone stuck dog sitting.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
Note to campers, the National Park Service and many states have been placing restrictions on access to “sensitive” areas when accompanied by a dog.  Check and plan ahead to avoid having someone stuck dog sitting.

I'd rather camp in Auschwitz anymore than camp in a National (UN) Park anymore. National Forest lands are the last places un-polluted by the woods nazis anymore. State Forests are a decent 2nd place. State Parks and National Parks are done as far as I'm concerned. Nice to visit once in awhile but I'm out before dark!

People shackled in PRISON live under fewer RULES than campers and visitors to our National Parks.

It is all part of the Agenda 21 plan of kicking us off of our land and herding everyone into the cities eventually.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
I don't know if it's deliberate, but I will agree that National and State Parks seem to be some the most expensive places to camp.  Here in Colorado, a state park will charge you $7-$10 just to drive in the gate and a camping spot runs $15-$20 a night depending on services.  They seem really geared towards the RV/Trailer camper.  Forest Service campgrounds run $10 a night or less, but there's no electricity (which keeps my wife away).  My favorite is still backpacking in designated "wilderness" areas - no mountain bikers bombing down the trail with you, no motorized traffic, and fire is the only other thing that may be restricted if it's dry.  The only human noise left is air traffic (funny how much you notice it when there' nothing else) and snoring.

BTW - I have nothing against mountain bikers.  I just appreciate not having to worry about trudging up a narrow trail and having to jump out of the way of them.  Happened to me again this weekend in a city park close to the house.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
I don't want to steer the topic way off course, but mountain bikers should yield to hikers (as a mountain biker myself) — and everyone should yield to horses. I believe in bombing down the trails but if I see someone else on the trail there is no reason to be a jerk.

But keeping on topic — I agree that some of the taxpayer funded parks are raping the public charging upwards of $30 a night for some DIRT to sleep on. I mean Mary and Joseph didn't have to shell out THAT MUCH and they got a friggin MANGER to sleep in.

A lot of the NFS and NPS camping areas have been handed over to private entities who basically don't do much of anything but COLLECT FEES for a PROFIT. They are required to maintain the areas etc., but the reality is that it doesn't take that much effort to maintain a spot of DIRT in the WOODS. I think hotel maids do a lot more work — even at the $30/night dive hotels.

It is extremely sad when people are willing to pay just as much for some dirt to sleep on as they would pay for a crappy motel room.

AND the places where you have to pay out the nose to camp are typically garbage campsites with no privacy or anything the likes of true camping.

There are exceptions of course, I paid for a campsite last weekend that was really nice and would go to this spot again — BUT I also spent some time finding about 50-100 FREE places I could pull in my Jeep to set up camp while I was up there.

Offline perunapete

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
A good site for researching free campsites is www.freecampsites.net.  This summer, we did a camping trip to Colorado and dd a couple one-nighters on the way at free sites I found there.  We have never free-camped before, but I did not want to pay for sites where we would not spend any significant time.  We really just needed a spot to pitch the tent.  The nicest one was in a National Forest dispersed camping area.  If you are going to be in a National Forest, it is certainly worth calling the Ranger Station and asking about dispersed camping options.  This one was right on a forest road outside Manitou Springs, CO and very nice.  There are no facilities, but there are no fees, so it makes sense.  Also, many cities have city parks that only charge a fee if you use the RV hookups. 

Agreed that $25 a night for tent camping is pretty steep and really adds up quickly.  Also, I second the recommendations to try cooking in the dutch oven and to do some preparation at home.   

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
I pay whatever to go to National Parks because I think they are worth it.

I pay extra when I go to State Parks because they aren't very well funded and they are cheap.

Maybe if NPs would charge $50 a night, there wouldn't be so many people there and it would actually be peaceful to tent camp in designated sites.

However... I do wish that they were friendlier to dogs.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Maybe if NPs would charge $50 a night, there wouldn't be so many people there and it would actually be peaceful to tent camp in designated sites.

I will say that the reason they charge and have so many rules (actually state parks charge more than national parks in my opinion) — is due to the number of people showing up to trample over the land. I get that part of it. They don't want to see people's trash and destruction all over the place in those parks.

However, as I say a lot — the difference between a conservationist and a tree-hugger is "common sense" — and the tree huggers seem to be winning.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »
The National Parks are full of things everyone should try and see at least once in their lifetimes — don't get me wrong.

However, stories I have about people being treated like garbage by the woods nazis is irritating at best. For instance — how hard it is to get a spot to "camp" in the grand canyon. I had friends who hiked down to the bottom once and got tired hiking back up so they stopped to sleep — and were fined / harrased, threatened with arrest and force-marched back up the rest of the way out of the canyon for TAKING A NAP.

Sorry, but I think the corporate scumbags polluting the oceans with oil, radiation, etc. are ruining the planet much faster than a HIKER taking a NAP on some DIRT.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »
Coleman and others sell ice chests which require no ice.  They are designed to run on 12v and plug into a cigar lighter.  But it will suck your car battery down in a night.  What I use is a converter (6 amp, since the chest draws 4 amps) and plug it into the electric socket.  Bring an extension cord and a power strip.

There are ways to reduce labor.  Make everyone responsible for their own cup.  Use paper plates.  Get a 5 gallon water container with a spigot from Walmart and at night put it atop the ice chest to keep raccoon out. 

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
Coleman and others sell ice chests which require no ice.  They are designed to run on 12v and plug into a cigar lighter.  But it will suck your car battery down in a night.  What I use is a converter (6 amp, since the chest draws 4 amps) and plug it into the electric socket.  Bring an extension cord and a power strip.

There are ways to reduce labor.  Make everyone responsible for their own cup.  Use paper plates.  Get a 5 gallon water container with a spigot from Walmart and at night put it atop the ice chest to keep raccoon out.

I have one from Igloo that has an auto shut-off feature when the car battery gets to 50%. I've never had trouble starting the truck after 1 night of camping with the cooler plugged in to the truck. Most nights, the cooler was still running in the morning.