Author Topic: Snake boots vs. Gaiters  (Read 16113 times)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Snake boots vs. Gaiters
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »
So I live in Florda where there are many snakes. I was told to invest in either snake proof boots or snake proof gaiters. Has anyone had experience with either of these? Please provide me with your thoughts and which would you rather invest in.

thanks,

Joe

Bonnieblue2A

Re: Snake boots vs. Gaiters
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »
Consider your activities/temps, and how high up you need protection.  Your best protection. IMO, is going to be paying attention to your surroundings as boots and/or gaiters are only going to protect a minimal amount of your body.

I have been unable to find snake boots to fit me and therefore was forced to pick gaiters as the only option. YMMV

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »
I have a pair of lacrosse snak boots, which come up almost to my knees, I don't even wear them anymore they are so uncomfortable. They are so stiff that the material over the ankles bends, but does not give, and it tears my ankles up. They trap so much moisture that my socks get squishy, which only exasperates the problem. My boots are the lace up style. The slip on style may be better. I have no experience with the gaiters so have no input there. I seem to be served better by just paying attention to where I walk.

I haven't worn my snake boots in a couple years. I even soaked a half of a container of sno-seal into the ankles hoping to soften them up. I would bet that a pair of the tall leather logger type boots would provide as much protection.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
I got a set of gaiters, and I like them. I like the peace of mind while walking through grass, and the extra insurance when crossing logs/rocks, etc. they are great for cooler weather, but they get pretty hot if its warm outside. Worth it IMO though.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »
I got a set of gaiters, and I like them. I like the peace of mind while walking through grass, and the extra insurance when crossing logs/rocks, etc. they are great for cooler weather, but they get pretty hot if its warm outside. Worth it IMO though.

I figured they were just as good and much less expensive than snake boots. Thanks for your advice.

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »
I spent a few years as a hunting guide in the low country of South Carolina. Hot, humid and full of snakes.

The question of snake boots vs. chaps boils down to how much time will you spend wearing them. As a hunting guide, I spent all day, every day in the woods. Therefore boots made sense. If I had my boots on, I had my snake protection on.

If a person were in the woods less often and only needed snake protection every once in a while, I'd go with chaps. You can wear more comfortable boots around the house, to work and put on the chaps only when you go into the woods.

As far as snake boots, the best I ever wore were Chippewa's. Very well made, comfortable and easy on and off. I wouldn't want to walk 5 miles in them, but fir in and out of the truck all day long they were very well made, and very comfortable: http://www.chippewaboots.com/category/snake_boots

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:32 AM »
I spent a few years as a hunting guide in the low country of South Carolina. Hot, humid and full of snakes.

The question of snake boots vs. chaps boils down to how much time will you spend wearing them. As a hunting guide, I spent all day, every day in the woods. Therefore boots made sense. If I had my boots on, I had my snake protection on.

If a person were in the woods less often and only needed snake protection every once in a while, I'd go with chaps. You can wear more comfortable boots around the house, to work and put on the chaps only when you go into the woods.

As far as snake boots, the best I ever wore were Chippewa's. Very well made, comfortable and easy on and off. I wouldn't want to walk 5 miles in them, but fir in and out of the truck all day long they were very well made, and very comfortable: http://www.chippewaboots.com/category/snake_boots

Wow those are expensive all over $200. Any suggestions for something a bit less expensive? I will only use them 2-3 times a year since I'm a newbie hunter.

thanks,

Joe

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
Hi Joe:

Since you are only going to use them a few times a year I'd get some chaps that you can wear with your regular boots. They'll be cheaper and you won't be stuck with an expensive pair of boots that you hardly ever wear.

When it comes to choosing chaps, don't be afraid to put them to the needle test. They must be able to stop a hypodermic needle being jammed into them. If they can't stop a needle - they will not stop a rattler.

Another thing is that 99% of snakes are 'low strikers'; that means they'll hit from the knee down. I wouldn't bother with chaps that come above the knee.

Finally, with chaps, the lighter and more comfortable - the more expensive. The "Turtle Skin" brand of chaps are very lightweight and flexible but they cost almost as much as a good pair of boots. For something that is effective and affordable, you might want to consider something like these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Specialty-Clothing/Mens-Snake-Protection-Clothing%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104590080/i/103951980/Whitewater-Snakeproof-Gaiters/725400.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1101051%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd750260&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd750260%3Bcat103951980

Oh - watch where you put your hands and watch out when turning over rocks and logs. Snake chaps don't help if you get bit on the arm.

Last year I nearly stepped on a huge canebreak rattler during bow season. We can't have a firearm with us during bow season, so all I had was a stick. I was relocating my climber during mid day when I almost stepped on this dude. I killed him with a stick. It's hard to tell from the video - but this was a VERY big cane break. He had 12 rattles if I remember correctly. I do not like snakes - especially rattlesnakes.

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/HM2PLeHZ7v8

One time I ran over a rattler on a dirt road with my truck. I actually came to a stop on top of him, and got out of the truck to see. He was pinned under my tire, but was striking the tire repeatedly. Venom was running down the sidewall.

Don't take chances with snakes. They do not fool around!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:52:33 PM by The Meat Trapper »

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »
Hi Joe:

Since you are only going to use them a few times a year I'd get some chaps that you can wear with your regular boots. They'll be cheaper and you won't be stuck with an expensive pair of boots that you hardly ever wear.

When it comes to choosing chaps, don't be afraid to put them to the needle test. They must be able to stop a hypodermic needle being jammed into them. If they can't stop a needle - they will not stop a rattler.

Another thing is that 99% of snakes are 'low strikers'; that means they'll hit from the knee down. I wouldn't bother with chaps that come above the knee.

Finally, with chaps, the lighter and more comfortable - the more expensive. The "Turtle Skin" brand of chaps are very lightweight and flexible but they cost almost as much as a good pair of boots. For something that is effective and affordable, you might want to consider something like these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Specialty-Clothing/Mens-Snake-Protection-Clothing%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104590080/i/103951980/Whitewater-Snakeproof-Gaiters/725400.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1101051%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd750260&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd750260%3Bcat103951980

Oh - watch where you put your hands and watch out when turning over rocks and logs. Snake chaps don't help if you get bit on the arm.

Last year I nearly stepped on a huge canebreak rattler during bow season. We can't have a firearm with us during bow season, so all I had was a stick. I was relocating my climber during mid day when I almost stepped on this dude. I killed him with a stick. It's hard to tell from the video - but this was a VERY big cane break. He had 12 rattles if I remember correctly. I do not like snakes - especially rattlesnakes.

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/HM2PLeHZ7v8

One time I ran over a rattler on a dirt road with my truck. I actually came to a stop on top of him, and got out of the truck to see. He was pinned under my tire, but was striking the tire repeatedly. Venom was running down the sidewall.

Don't take chances with snakes. They do not fool around!

Thanks