Author Topic: Which Food Sealer to buy  (Read 26895 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Which Food Sealer to buy
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
I tried mylar bags in my Foodsaver and although it would seal it would not pull a vacuum.

Is there a trick?

nooooo... I haven't ever had an issue...  :-\  I wonder if there's a difference in models??

Sister Wolf:

Which model of Foodsaver and which mylar bags are you using?

How the heck did I miss this?  I don't know what model of stuff I've been using.  I'll figure it out and get back to you.  :)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »

I'd be happy to do experiments for you guys too, if it doesn't cost me anything. 

I don't know about an experiment, but I would like to run my proposed purchase past you (foodsaver model/features, bags, foods to seal) and see if you think it will work before I get them.

OK, Sister Wolf (and others): I got a Foodsaver model V2250:

http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=277

As you suggested, I got the one with the two vacuum levels and the separate seal-only button (that I'll use for mylar bags).

I plan on sealing pancake mix, pasta, beans, rice, grits, and oatmeal.  All with oxygen absorbers. 

I understand from several people that vacuum sealing doesn't work all the time on mylar bags.  It's worked for some of you, but not for others.  Therefore, I plan on vacuum sealing all these into the clear Foodsaver bags.  Then I'll put those into mylar bags and just seal (not vacuum) them.  So I'll double seal (clear and mylar).

What do you guys think about that? 

It's twice as much work and cost for the bags, but I will know it's working and there will be double bags.  (We used the term "double bagger" when I was younger but it's for something else  ;).)  If it's total overkill, and the clear Foodsaver bags work just fine, let me know.  I won't start the sealing work for a while and I won't get the mylar bags for a while.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »

Thanks for all your great info sister wolf!  +1 to you...but I have a question on the model of foodsaver.  Costco was demo'ing a new black stand up model and it looked awesome...but I'm wondering if I would use all the little gizmos and gadgets.  It had a separate little hose to use on a square plastic marinading container (which I probably would use now that I think about it) but the cost is 159 plus I'd need to get extra bags.  Are there older models that would work just as well without the expense?  We do freeze a lot of meat (hunting/fishing) and I will be doing more dehydrating so the sealer would get a good workout I'm thinking.

And sorry if this has been asked before...I'm sold on the foodsaver...just wonder which model is a good one for cheaper $$

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
The model of Foodsaver I got, the V2250, was $99 at Wally Mart.  Here is what it looks like:

http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=277

This model has the two features suggested by, I want to say, Sisterwolf: 1) variable levels of vacuum (low and high), and 2) a separate seal-only feature.

I saw the $159 at Costco.  I don't know if it has more features, but it looked like it had a smaller footprint and was stainless steel--basically, it would look better in a kitchen.

But my Foodsaver is hidden away in my secret storage place so I don't care if what anyone thinks of its looks.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 12:44:30 AM »
Thanks HeavyG...next time I'm in the city, I'll see what I can find.  The black one is nice, but I want funtion over form!  (and maybe some $$ left over for food to seal!!)
Cathy

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »
Well I did it....got the foodsaver model from Costco.  They had the stainless steel one at WalMart for 169, but I like the one I'd seen at Costco.  Picked it up and picked up an extra box of rolls of plastic too.  So now I get to play!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline Strangersolz

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
For a couple of yeas I've wanted a sealer but was always hesitant because of the price. Last week, the wife and I stopped by our favorite thrift store. We picked up a Foodsave V820 for $2. Yep, I said 2 dollars. Works great too.  ;D

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »
I have a food saver.  I also have the tops that allow you to vacuum seal mason jars and use that to add some shelf life to our dried goods.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »
I read some reviews that said the new upright models (V3860, V3440, V3840) were poor attempts to improve on something that didn't need it. Some of them we back to their Foodsaver Professional III. That is the model we bought and it is working nicely for us.

I have just ordered some of the 11" x 13" 7-mil-thick pouches Mylar/foil pouches and will give the sealer a try on them. I ordered the O2 suckers also.

mtforge

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
I've had two different vacuum systems. They both had problems with the pumps but the sealers worked fine. When my wife was vacuuming things she couldn't get a deep enough vacuum pulled. After rebuilding the pump a few times I bought a small used vacuum pump from Ebay. I pulled the hose from the onboard pump and put it through a small hole in the back. Now when we need it we connect he hose to the external pump and get great vacuum.

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
Need advice on a GOOD vacuum sealer?
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:09 AM »
Ok people, I know you know. Please help a newbie!

I would like to be able to seal food items as well as clothing etc. Sealer, bags, do's and dont's?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
topic merged... look up and see advice on vacuum sealers from forum members. I believe many (including me) have used their foodsavers for non-food items with good success.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »
I also have the Foodsaver it's been in use now for wow... Ah about 10 years.

My how time fly's.

Offline bsutter

• Prepper
  • Photo - Kaiser Jeep M185A3
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
For Mylar bags I use a Teflon Coated Clamp Jaw sealer that provides a 9/16" wide seal.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/hotjaw.html

For vacuum sealing I use a Pro 2300 and bags available here.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/65-0201.html

Offline Russet

• Prepper
    • The Blessed Bees
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Foodsavers are awesome =) we have 2

Offline Omega Man

• Prepper
  • I've got a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »
I'm always looking for creative and innovative ways to improvise and adapt in "Less-Than-Perfect" situations. 

If, for whatever reason, you don't have access to mylar bags, is there any effective way to improvise with, say for instance, a sealed poly bag, wrapped in non-punctured aluminum foil to prevent gradual oxygen absorption?  What compounds, if any, could be used to seal the edges of the aluminum foil...air tight glue?  Epoxy?  Can aluminum foil even be sealed in a air-tight manner?  Would just wrapping the poly bags in aluminum foil not actually prevent the gradual oxygen absorption, but perhaps slow it way day, thus extending the storage life?

Inquiring minds want to know...and this inquiring mind has been unable to find any relevant info on it :(

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2010, 09:05:40 AM »
I haven't looked into alternative materials, such as aluminum foil. it might be worth trying out the sealing strip on the foodsaver...

I have a good stock of mylar bags in my stores, though, so hopefully won't run out.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
For Mylar bags I use a Teflon Coated Clamp Jaw sealer that provides a 9/16" wide seal.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/hotjaw.html

For vacuum sealing I use a Pro 2300 and bags available here.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/65-0201.html

Good luck with Sorben Systems though... I dealt with them once.  JUST ONCE.  (Lets say I had to use my BIG BOY VOICE   :pissed: on the phone about 5 times before my order even shipped...  Its too bad, they had good prices and decent products.)

Next thought: I'm considering a food saver... but since you guys all posted they have changed their model numbers... now they have all sorts of do-dad's that I don't think I need.  I also want to seal mylar bags and I'm interested in the jar sealer.  HOWEVER, the jar sealer they have now replaces the lid.  Is that what you guys are using to seal your jars?  http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=89&pid=8060 and http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=89&pid=270

I can tell if there is any difference between these things (V3240 Vacuum Sealer vs. V2450 Vacuum Sealer) aside from the way they look...  maybe some help on this one? 

Thanks guys,
~CRCJ
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:49:29 AM by CountryRootsCityJob »

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
...I'm considering a food saver... but since you guys all posted they have changed their model numbers... now they have all sorts of do-dad's that I don't think I need.  I also want to seal mylar bags and I'm interested in the jar sealer.  HOWEVER, the jar sealer they have now replaces the lid.  Is that what you guys are using to seal your jars?  http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=89&pid=8060 and http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=89&pid=270

I can tell if there is any difference between these things (V3240 Vacuum Sealer vs. V2450 Vacuum Sealer) aside from the way they look...  maybe some help on this one? 

I just wanted to say that I have the most cool mom in the world... I went over last night to use their place to work on my truck and she bought me a Food Saver for Valentine's day!  Woohoo!  My father pointed out that there aren't many guys my age who would get this excited about a vaccum sealer... I bet the majority of them are members of this forum though! 

~CRCJ

;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
I had difficulty with Sorbent systems being very slow and charging more for shipping than the original quote, too...

Those lid attachments look very similar to the type I have. When I bought mine, FS wasn't selling them directly; I had to buy on Amazon. It looks like they got them stocked again and with a slight difference in styling. Otherwise, they look just like what I use all the time. The sealer doesn't replace the lid, btw. You probably know this, but how it works is:

Fill your mason jar up to no more than 1/2" headspace remaining
Place the lid on top of the jar (not the ring, just the lid)
Place lid sealing attachment over the top of the jar and lid and press down firmly
Attach hose; vacuum using the canister button.
When vacuuming stops, pull out hose from lid attachment
Remove lid attachment (the lid should be firmly seated and the jar sealed).

If it doesn't seal properly, you may have an incomplete connection at one of the hose ends or not have the lid attachment seated enough... just try again. If it still doesn't work, there may be a problem with the rubber seal on your lid (especially if you are reusing an old lid, as I often do), or you may have overfilled the jar.

Probably it is too late, given that you already have a vacuum sealer, but it looks like the V3240 doesn't have the canister setting. I'd go for the 2450.

CRCJ: you do  have the coolest mom in the world.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »
I had difficulty with Sorbent systems being very slow and charging more for shipping than the original quote, too...

Its too bad, they initially had very good prices...

Those lid attachments look very similar to the type I have. When I bought mine, FS wasn't selling them directly; I had to buy on Amazon. It looks like they got them stocked again and with a slight difference in styling. Otherwise, they look just like what I use all the time. The sealer doesn't replace the lid, btw. You probably know this, but how it works is...

The food saver webiste says "Jar Sealers replace standard Mason-type jar lids" - which confused me... that's a lot to pay for one lid.  I'm grateful for the clarification... maybe for my birthday I can ask for the two jar attachments and some 2qt mason jars :)

CRCJ: you do  have the coolest mom in the world.

Yes, its true... if you disagree, its only because you haven't met her  ;D
~CRCJ

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
...maybe for my birthday I can ask for the two jar attachments and some 2qt mason jars :)

I don't know if 2 qt mason jars have a standard size lid opening... you might check that before you buy. If you buy standard and wide mouth FS attachments, you'll be able to handle all other sizes for sure (down to 1/2 cup and up to a quart, either wide or regular mouth).

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
I've been trying to win one off of ebay for awhile now. Freakin snipers come in last sec and win the auction. I guess Im going to have to pony up and pay full price for one from one of the box stores.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
Naw... just start sniping back. You'll get one...

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
Naw... just start sniping back. You'll get one...

Just set your price to a point your are comfortable paying and let it go... unless you do it for the enjoyment of the bargain hunt, then I understand.  My dad always tells me that I spend so much time looking for the bargain that it would have been cheaper to just buy it in the first place... sometimes he's right.
~CRCJ

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
I got the gist that the Rival Seal-a-meals aren't all that great but there is on on CL in my area for $20 "like-new".  Haven't wanted to pony up for a FoodSaver yet due to budget.  Is it worth getting this or should I just save up for a FoodSaver?

Right now I use a hand pump to seal jars but don't have really have the bag capability.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »
I just have no experience with the Rival products... but if you only want to seal up bags, it might be worth the $20. I don't use the bag-sealing option much (I use the attachment and seal jars more -- not available on the seal a meal, iirc), so it wouldn't be worth it to me.