Author Topic: Raising quail for meat and eggs  (Read 57608 times)

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Raising quail for meat and eggs
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
Update:

I ended up doing a presentation on Raising Quail for Meat and Eggs at the Michigan Permaculture Convergence last Nov, 2013. While I was there I met a bunch of cool people and was approached by one of the organizers about collaborating and co-teaching with him. Having a background in English he offered to help turn my quail presentation / article into and Ebook, and in return he could host it on his site as a resource.

Enjoy!

http://greatlakespermacultureportal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BD-Ebook-quail-for-meat-and-eggs.pdf

Hosted at www.greatlakespermacultureportal.com Check under Resources>Tools.

Offline christphrmurray

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:22 AM »
What is a good way to learn about having quail when I was in 3rd grade we hatched some. Like how to tell male from female birds? What's good feed we used crushed dog food.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
What is a good way to learn about having quail when I was in 3rd grade we hatched some. Like how to tell male from female birds? What's good feed we used crushed dog food.

Click on the link above for the Ebook it's free, no sign ups or other BS, I walk through the process. There are also pictures to tell the difference between males and females, and a section on feed (both store bought and alternative).

There are also other links to more info in my signature, TSP Episode 1071, this thread, and a visual presentation (Prezi).

Feel free to post any questions, I always enjoy answering them.  :)

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing information you've put out there, Moonvalleyprepper.  I had been leaning towards chickens prior to your presentation and some other conversations I've had, but thanks to you (and a local guy [but mostly you]), we're planning to have quail in the not too distant future.

Very cool of you.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
Brad,

What would you say are reasonable prices per egg?  Per, say, 3 day old chick?  How about for an adult layer?

Looking locally, I've seen prices from $2-5/egg, $4-8/chick, and $10-20/layer.  I've found them considerably cheaper online, but I'm not sure how reliable/trustworthy some of these are (or how many eggs might be destroyed in transit).

Is this a decent deal?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/grd/4286687370.html

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Brad,

What would you say are reasonable prices per egg?  Per, say, 3 day old chick?  How about for an adult layer?

Looking locally, I've seen prices from $2-5/egg, $4-8/chick, and $10-20/layer.  I've found them considerably cheaper online, but I'm not sure how reliable/trustworthy some of these are (or how many eggs might be destroyed in transit).

Is this a decent deal?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/grd/4286687370.html

Skas,

Those prices seem pretty damn high to me. I've mostly seen birds going in the $1 range for day - week old one's. Full grown seem to be around $5. I got both my incubators for around $35-50 used.  If you can't find any locally you can check ebay they are between $0.16 - $0.50 / egg for hatching ones. Your hatch rate will be lower after shipping, but if all you can find is $2-5 per egg then I would go the ebay route.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:28 PM »
Skas,

Those prices seem pretty damn high to me.

Me too.  I sell my Texas A&Ms for 50cents per fertile egg.  ( I include a couple free extra if they buy more than a dozen) and $1 per chick to 1 week old and an extra dollar each week old until 6 weeks or more then they are 6 dollars each.  My flock paid for itself last year.

Check your local Craigslist for eggs or chicks.  That is how I started my flock.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
Thank you, Barton.  I ended up getting them for much closer to what you and Brad mentioned.

Offline IKN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 05:54:59 AM »
Great job with all the info, maybe one of the moderators should make a "Sticky" out of this so it stays at the top.
I would love to see some recipes/ cooking tip here as well.
My wife and I started raising quail last year, we had Coturnix, Texas A&M, and Bobwhite. Ended up with about 40-50 brooders and were butchering about 50-80 quail every other week running 3 incubators. Highest succcess rates on hatchings we found dealt more with humidity levels during the last few days. At the first sign of hatchingg, we no longer opened the incubator to turn eggs or check and would have a 85-95% hatch rate vs 40-50% when we did.
We froze some and pressure canned other. A quick easy meal we found was pressure canned quail with Ramen noodles. The meat just falls of the bone after pressure canning and it's almost like chicken & noodles, but takes only minutes to prepare.
We've tried grilling them a couple times, but they always seem to end up tough and dry. Anyone have any grilling tips for quail ???
Another question I have concerns crossbreeding. It seems the Coturnix and Texas A&M's would, but not the Bob Whites. My wife was thinking it may be due to the fact that they were incubated separately since we started raising them later in the year and incubated them by themselves instead of with the other breeds. Later, she wanted to try crossing the Texas A&M's with the Bob Whites to see if we could end up with white Bob Whites (LOL).

Offline Rags Danneskjold

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • This is Ragnar Danneskjold Speaking
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:16 AM »
Brad,
Great show. I know it was about a year ago but I've been catching up on episodes that happened before I found TSP.

One small thing that I am confused about and tried to figure out from the pictures is the cage bottoms and poop.

Brooder- So the cage bottoms are wire with shavings on them? This confuses me because I would think that the shavings would just fall through wire, so I probably have that wrong. If this is correct, how often does the bedding (I think you would have to remove all of it?) get changed out?

grow out- Then for the grow out pens, what's the bottoms? Still wire? You mentioned that there were trays under to catch poop.
So... from the pics it looks like you have a 24x48x10 box, then another right on top of that. I cant tell from the pics, if there is a slot between stacked pens that you slide your tray into?

Offline D-rock517

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:35 PM »
Ive decided to start raising quail.i will be getting started once spring arrives. Thanks for all of the great information. Im a fellow michigander and have been wondering how this brutal winter has effected your birds.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »
Brad,
Great show. I know it was about a year ago but I've been catching up on episodes that happened before I found TSP.

One small thing that I am confused about and tried to figure out from the pictures is the cage bottoms and poop.

Brooder- So the cage bottoms are wire with shavings on them? This confuses me because I would think that the shavings would just fall through wire, so I probably have that wrong. If this is correct, how often does the bedding (I think you would have to remove all of it?) get changed out?

grow out- Then for the grow out pens, what's the bottoms? Still wire? You mentioned that there were trays under to catch poop.
So... from the pics it looks like you have a 24x48x10 box, then another right on top of that. I cant tell from the pics, if there is a slot between stacked pens that you slide your tray into?

Hi Rags, thanks for the kind words.

The brooder is at the very bottom of the system and sits on the cement floor. This is the only place that I use wood shavings. The grow out pens and laying pens have a wire floor with no shavings. Underneath each wire bottom cage is a box that slides out to empty the droppings. They are 24"x 48"x 4", though on my next redesign I am going to split them into (2) 24"x 24" x 4" trays. the 24" x 48" trays can get heavy and are awkward to carry down my ladder.

Ive decided to start raising quail.i will be getting started once spring arrives. Thanks for all of the great information. Im a fellow michigander and have been wondering how this brutal winter has effected your birds.

Awesome! Send me a message and maybe we can meet up if your local. The cold doesn't seem to bother them, though their water freezing does. I tweaked the water system for this winter hoping to keep it from freezing, but it didn't work. I've had to go switch over to giving them bowls of water since around Dec. I also cull down to about 3-4 per cage for the winter which seems to help.

Offline Southron Homesteader

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
Thank you for all this info.  Been planning on quail since I heard your interview last year, just relistened last night.  I now have eggs in the incubator and finishing building my pens.  Thanks again.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
+1 Thank you for this awesome and extremely detailed post!

Edit: Topic Stickied
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:45:55 AM by Roswell »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 09:26:15 AM »
Working up a copy of your design.  Thanks for the inspiration!

You mentioned switching to metal catch pans. Are you just going to bend sheet metal or did you find pre-made pans to those specs?

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
Working up a copy of your design.  Thanks for the inspiration!

You mentioned switching to metal catch pans. Are you just going to bend sheet metal or did you find pre-made pans to those specs?

Glad you found it useful!

I have not made the switch yet, spring tree planting and fencing has taken top priority for the moment. I'd say either way make them or buy them. If I end up buying them it will probably be these ones.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cage+Pans/Metal+Pans/default.aspx

or the equivalent from Klubertanz

http://www.klubertanz.com/images/Klubertanz_Pg19.pdf

Doing it over I think I would buy or build quality plastic or metal ones. I've probably spent more $ on the 2 DIY attempts at them then I would have spent just buying good ones right off the bat.

If egg sales go good this year I'll be doing a full rebuild, or saving up to purchase a GQF one.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »
Z made his own for his quail cages. He was running about 100 Coturnix. The pans are this type of material which looks like eraseable white board. And he built a frame around them. They are really easy to clean. I cleaned his poultry house for him a few times.

Cedar

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »
I hatched out about 40 Coturnix and Texas A&M quail two weeks ago.  Raising quail is a first for me, so I'm sure I've got a lot to learn.  I'm hoping that I get at least a couple that will break the rules and tend to be really broody, as I really don't like brooding them in the house.

Offline Hoxbar

• Survivor
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »
I'm glad I found this post!  I was just given some Coturnix quail.  I listened to your show yesterday and it was a really good show with lots of quail info.  Now I just need to recipes! lol

Offline PaddyMack

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »
Great info!

Thanks for all the work you put into this, I have actually got into quail because of you  8)

Thanks and take care
PaddyMack

Offline Hoxbar

• Survivor
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
Since you have the quail in your garage, how do you control the smell of the poop?  Do you line the trays with newspaper or nothing at all.  I saw a lady using paper towels.  She complained that she was going through a roll every other day.  She was so upset over the poop situation that she gave me 17 of her quail just so it was one less cage to clean. 

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2014, 08:58:06 AM »
Brad, fantastic stuff. Thanks for all the great information.

Did you ever test out that quail tractor? If so how did it go?

Offline michael SI

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me where moon valley gets his quail stock?
I see all the helpful info but I do not see where to buy them... thanks

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me where moon valley gets his quail stock?
I see all the helpful info but I do not see where to buy them... thanks

I found my first quail on my local Craigslist.  I had the option of grown birds or fertile eggs and I chose the eggs.  If you don't see any on your Craigslist, post a wanted add there and I bet someone will answer.  Another idea is to ask at your local feed store.  They will probably know someone that raises quail.  If all that fails, you can buy fertile eggs on eBay, but your hatch rate will probably be less than ideal because of the shipping.  I would try the first two options first.

Hope that helps.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Remember those quail I told you all about that I hatched out in June?  Well here is one of those babies now...with HER babies.  Don't ask me how, but I ended up with a broody quail, of which I've been told by various breeders is only a 1/100000 chance.  And this was my first time ever raising quail.   BTW, all of those are chicks from her own eggs.  I noticed that when she first started laying, she would only lay in the same corner each day, whereas the others just lay helter-skelter (and never in "her" corner).  So I just left her eggs alone.  After a couple weeks of laying, she began sitting on them, and the result was 9 perfect little chicks.  Not all of them are under her in this photo, as a few were out and about and around the water and feed dishes.  I'm hoping she passes her broody trait on to some of her chicks.  :)

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
That is exciting LibertyBelle!   I never had it happen with my quail. 

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
I'm hoping she passes her broody trait on to some of her chicks.  :)

I hope so.  You might have a little money-maker there!  You could probably charge a premium for them   :)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »
Here is an updated picture taken today of her and her chicks (she's the big one with her back to the camera).  Even though they are almost as big as she is now, she's still protective of them. 
But they are big enough to move into their new coops now and will be doing so this coming weekend.   

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 11:12:43 PM »
Remember those quail I told you all about that I hatched out in June?  Well here is one of those babies now...with HER babies.  Don't ask me how, but I ended up with a broody quail, of which I've been told by various breeders is only a 1/100000 chance.  And this was my first time ever raising quail.   BTW, all of those are chicks from her own eggs.  I noticed that when she first started laying, she would only lay in the same corner each day, whereas the others just lay helter-skelter (and never in "her" corner).  So I just left her eggs alone.  After a couple weeks of laying, she began sitting on them, and the result was 9 perfect little chicks.  Not all of them are under her in this photo, as a few were out and about and around the water and feed dishes.  I'm hoping she passes her broody trait on to some of her chicks.  :)

Awesome!