Author Topic: Baby Formula  (Read 1966 times)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
Baby Formula
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:20:02 AM »
Does anyone keep baby formula as part of their preps? As I look more into formula, I'm starting to realize how important it could be in a disaster situation. A newborn needs to eat every couple of hours. An older infant can wait longer, but still needs to be fed several times during a 24 hour period.

What happens if an infant, even one that is breastfed, is separated from his/her mother during say, a hurricane or a blizzard, where it might be 2 days or more before it is safe to travel? Without a stockpile of formula at the baby's location, he or she could die (or at least end up in the NICU). Or, if the baby is born during the disaster and the mom can't breastfeed for some reason (or dies) and the hospital/store is too far away, that baby is going to have to have something to eat. I'm sure anyone on here who formula feeds an infant has a stockpile, but your neighbor might not.

I've also been researching formula alternatives, and most of them are not good. One popular one is condensed milk and sweetener (traditionally karo syrup). It's an awful substitute, and many babies can't tolerate it at all due to lactose sensitivity. Most of the other substitutes are worse.

It looks like I'm going to be adding a couple of cans each of milk and soy based formula to the stash.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Baby Formula
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
problem is that it doesn't store all that long, and there have been reports that "new" cans off the shelf have old product recycled into a new can, so it definitely will not last long.  I have thought to store it, but I breastfeed until natural child-led weaning, and well, it would just not get used.  Also, from my understanding, the reason there are 1000 different formulas is because some babies just won't/can't drink certain kinds, and in a disaster, the last thing you need is to discover that your baby is allergic to soy.  My plan is to breastfeed in a disaster.
A woman who has breastfed can restart her milk production with stimulus (a baby suckling) and herbs.  So, I will nurse the neighbors babies if I need to.
http://breast-feeding.adoption.com/
http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbadoptive.html

and as a related note: http://on.aol.com/video/woman-breastfeeds-baby-who-lost-mother-in-china-quake-517752790

Offline Em2002

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Baby Formula
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
I think that keeping a few cans of formula around is a good idea,  there are hypoallergenic options available. In a grid down scenario water may be an issue; either the lack of or the cleanliness of it. I am not sure of the shelf life of ready made formula, but that might be an option as well.  I do breast feed but understand that there are instances when a woman either by choice or for medical reason does not breast feed or does not produce enough milk- all of which warrant having formula handy.  I love the links on the other post and would feed another child happily.