Author Topic: Binocular recommendation  (Read 10082 times)

Offline racer038

• Survivor
Binocular recommendation
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for a really good set of binoculars?  I will use for hunting (deer, turkey, squirrel) as well as general use.  I have set a $250 maximum.

nelson96

Re: Binocular recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
In my experience they're all about the same in that price range.  You don't really start seperating from the pack until you get at least twice that.  In fact, I've been very happy with bino's that cost less than your budget.  The secret is to not demo a good pair if you can't afford them, then you don't know the difference.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
The secret is to not demo a good pair if you can't afford them, then you don't know the difference.

This is so true for so many things in life.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
Optics is one of those areas where you really do get what you pay for. With binoculars, "really good" isn't found under $700.

Nikon is a good intermediate binocular. Keep your eye out for sales and returns at Cabela's Bargain Cave if you have one nearby. Sometimes there will be as new returns with optics that you just know a guy made after his wife discovered his purchase.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
I have also been much happier with a pair of 7x50's than a smaller sized set with a zoom function.  7X works great and is a magnification at which you can hold them steady with just your hands.  The wider aperture gathers more light which comes in extremely handy at dawn and dusk.  While bulkier than the smaller pairs out there.  This is the style I reach for every time.

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
This is so true for so many things in life.

Unfortunately . . .  That's why I try to buy high quality where it counts for my intended use.  Buy once and take care of it and you'll have it for generations.  The bino's I want start at $2,500 so I'm still getting by with a pair of Leupold's that I found on a stump one day while elk hunting.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Optics is one of those areas where you really do get what you pay for. With binoculars, "really good" isn't found under $700.

Nikon is a good intermediate binocular. Keep your eye out for sales and returns at Cabela's Bargain Cave if you have one nearby. Sometimes there will be as new returns with optics that you just know a guy made after his wife discovered his purchase.

I got some nice Steiners for under 300 by using Amazon and one of their super special deals. So deals can be had if you look around.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »
Do you know know what type/size you want? Everyone would probably have a specific model to recommend you look at if we had a better idea of what you wanted and didn't want.

CharlesH you found out why 7x50s are so popular, they are the best all around size for most uses. With a quality pair of 7x50s you're covered in almost every situation. Zooms are a waste unless you spend a mint, too many trade-offs for barely acceptable performance

Offline lawdawg

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
My wife just recently purchased me a the Vortex Diamondback 8x32 binos for my birthday. I think she only paid $208 at sportsmans warehouse. I really like them so far. She gets an atta girl. :)

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »
I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 3 8x42 at Cabela's on sale.  They are pretty good and in the $250 range.  I can't hold still without support anything over 8x.  The 42mm objective is about the optimal size I feel for compactness and lightness for carry all day while still having lots of light gathering and wide field of view.  I also use them for spotting bullet holes in targets at 25 - 50 yds.

This is about the cheapest I would go on decent binocs.  They do what I need so I am happy with them.

Offline AlphaTangoSierra

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
I purchased a pair Bushnell HD 8x42 several years ago and have been very pleased with them (I actually bought a second pair last year). I found them on Amazon and they are Prime eligible, for $227. For the price, these are some of the best I have owned.

Offline Mandevu

• Prepper
    • The Emergent Farm
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 04:26:11 AM »
I second the Vortex Diamondbacks.  Mine are 10x42 and I am very happy with them.  They are available from Amazon for just over $200.

Offline lawdawg

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 08:54:10 AM »
The Vortex Diamondback also comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty. That could come in mighty handy if you hunt as hard as I do. ;D

nelson96

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
The Vortex Diamondback also comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty. That could come in mighty handy if you hunt as hard as I do. ;D

Most reputable company's that make high-end bino's do.  Those same company's that sell a lower-end model that hit a price point often have conditions on the warranty for those specific models (read the fine print).

If you purchase a mid priced set, you'll them love them forever, if you don't ever put a high-end set to your face. 

Offline lawdawg

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
The Vortex VIP Warranty per their own website.....no fine print....
Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.
The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.
Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product.

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
The Vortex VIP Warranty per their own website.....no fine print....
Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.
The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.
Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product.

Vortex makes a great product.  My next scope will be a Vortex.

nelson96

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
Anyone have experience with the new Cabela's Euro or Euro HD?  I tested them (in the store) along side all the other top brands and they appeared comparable to me.  The Swarovski's were still a bit better, but not $1,500 to $2,000 better.  I didn't test them outside at dusk to see how they compare in low light, but the clerk said he has and they were very comparable to other highend bino's.

The sales clerk made a good point.  He said with the Cabela's warranty you simply come in with your broken bino's and leave the same day with a new pair.  Other top brands have to be sent in and wait for a replacement.

nelson96

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »
It appears that the Euro's are made by Meopta.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »
Don't overlook the Vortex line of Monoculars, a lot of the time a good monocular is easier to carry. the Vortex 8x36 RT is a solid piece of gear and is built to be used. I grab mine before my Binos and fits in a pocket. great to have a good monocular and not a toy around

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 03:58:28 AM »
Anyone have experience with the new Cabela's Euro or Euro HD?  I tested them (in the store) along side all the other top brands and they appeared comparable to me.  The Swarovski's were still a bit better, but not $1,500 to $2,000 better.  I didn't test them outside at dusk to see how they compare in low light, but the clerk said he has and they were very comparable to other highend bino's.

The sales clerk made a good point.  He said with the Cabela's warranty you simply come in with your broken bino's and leave the same day with a new pair.  Other top brands have to be sent in and wait for a replacement.

Thanks for that tip, Nelson.  I had not thought of that but it would be a lot more convenient.  All of the Cabela's branded stuff I have bought has been very good quality.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
Another Vortex fan here.  We picked up their Crossfire II 8x42 binos at Cabelas' Veterans Day sale for elk season this year.  Best glass I've ever used and I had only one small issue with them after four days in the field.  The objective lens covers are not held onto the tubes very well and after four days of hiking I had lost both of them from rubbing against my jacket.  Still a great buy at $160 (regular price).

nelson96

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »
I found the Vortex bino's to not be as desirable as the Cabela's Euro's.  They had a noticeable difference, YMMV.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 06:20:02 AM »
I found the Vortex bino's to not be as desirable as the Cabela's Euro's.  They had a noticeable difference, YMMV.

Since the cheapest set of Cabelas Euros run $800, I don't see that as a reasonable comparison to under $200 binos.  Unless you're referring to Vortex HD line - that would be an interesting comparison.  I haven't tried either one since I knew both were WAY outside our budget! :)

BTW - my old set of binos were from Bausch & Lomb.  That should tell you the quality of glass I'm used to! (ie. crap).  I think a pair of Swarovskis would burn my retinas out. :D

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
Since the cheapest set of Cabelas Euros run $800, I don't see that as a reasonable comparison to under $200 binos.  Unless you're referring to Vortex HD line - that would be an interesting comparison. 

I was comparing price ranges around $599 since that was what the 10x42 Euro's were being advertised at  (sale ended the 25th).  I was also comparing them to much more expensive bino's like the Swarovski's.

I'm hoping to find somebody out there that owns a pair, and see what they think.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
I don't have any recommendations as far as brand (I never spent more than $60 because I'm clumsy and dropped mine frequently) but I used binoculars pretty much every day for work.

Before you drop any money on them, try them out and make sure you can actually hold them steady enough for them to be useful.  You can usually brace your elbows against your body or (if you're lucky) steady them with a branch or a wall, but there's a point when the magnification is so high that you just can't see anything because a tiny shake looks like a big earthquake.

Owning my agree on not bothering with zoom.  You always seem to use them on max zoom anyway, so it's usually pointless.

nelson96

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
Owning my agree on not bothering with zoom.  You always seem to use them on max zoom anyway, so it's usually pointless.

Unless you're a hunter and want to increase you field of view while scanning an area.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
Unless you're a hunter and want to increase you field of view while scanning an area.

True.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
+1 for Vortex.  The price/value is great.

Offline Melting

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
My wife just recently purchased me a the Vortex Diamondback 8x32 binos for my birthday. I think she only paid $208 at sportsmans warehouse. I really like them so far. She gets an atta girl. :)

imwould like to second this post. I also have apair of these and find them to be great for my intended use, primarily hunting. They fit your budget, the optics are quite adequate, and the warranty excellent.