Author Topic: Warning about Smith Nursery  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
Warning about Smith Nursery
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
Last year I ordered 5 dwarf fruit trees from Smith Nursery.  I got them in the ground the same day they arrived.  Three of them showed no sign of life at all.  Two did okay through the summer and only one has survived the winter. 

I had emailed Smith Nursery about the situation and they suggested different things, such as pruning, to shock the trees into coming to life.  This did nothing. They were dead and I knew it.  One was very healthy and another did show some green to it but I really had to baby it to get it to pull through.  Sadly, it did not make it through the winter.

I made one last attempt to work things out with Smith Nursery but they have not replied at all.

Can anyone suggest a reputable nursery where I can get dwarf trees?

Thanks folks.

Offline AverageDude

• Senior Survivalist
  • Trying to live that better life
Re: Warning about Smith Nursery
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »

I ordered a number of trees from Stark bros last fall. They have taken off and look absolutely amazing. Let me go snap a picture.

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
I got the same service from Fast-Growing-Trees.com . . .  They gave me nothing but lipservice and then no communication back at all.  Half the tree's died and the other half are midgets (after being planted for over 6 years) compared to other tree's I've planted since, from local sources.

Offline AverageDude

• Senior Survivalist
  • Trying to live that better life
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
Here is the dwarf pear (moonglow) I got from Stark brothers last fall:

I've also had REALLY good luck with Ison's nursery. Here is a plum tree I got from them this winter:

ALL of the trees I've ordered from these companies have budded and look extremely healthy. They are also extremely knowledgeable.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
https://www.onegreenworld.com/
Tell Jim I sent ya  ;)

Cedar

Offline fuzzy

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
I bought 13 apple trees through the local Master Gardeners Club, at bargain prices, this spring and they are all blooming & budding like crazy.  Check your local county agent to see if there is a Master Gardeners Club in your area that offers the same services.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
Out of almost two dozen trees that I've purchased from Lowe's (most were clearance leftovers) over the past two to four years, only one looks questionable...a Stanley prune plum, which is still alive but has only a few leaves on it.  The rest are growing like weeds, fully leaved out, and blooming.  A few of them even produced last year.  And every single one of my Stark Bro's trees are doing fabulous.  But I don't plant them in the ground as soon as I get them.  I pot them up in 3 to 10 gallon containers (depending on the diameter of the tree) for the first couple of years or so, each year putting in a scoop of compost and planting peas in the pots with them to provided added nitrogen.  I overwinter by putting the potted trees on the south side of the barn (although a wooden privacy fence would work, too) and mounding a thick blanket of straw over pots, removing the straw come spring.  I tend wait until after the 2nd year to plant. 

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
Thanks folks.  It's nice to have this so we know who is safe and who isn't.  I'm out quite a bit of $$ and have only one living tree that has one tiny shoot this spring.  I don't know if I'll live long enough to see this be a TREE.  Very discouraging but at least we know not to use Smith Nursery or Fast Growing Trees!