Author Topic: Coe's Comfrey, Warning  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Nationalist Girl

• Prepper
Coe's Comfrey, Warning
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:20:54 AM »
Hi all,

I ordered some one year plants from Coe's Comphrey (http://www.coescomfrey.com/Coes_Comfrey___Order.html). Well, I never received the plants even though my paypal payment went through. I ended up getting a hold of him via phone message and he said I should send a check. I honestly think he's an older gentleman that doesn't get paypal, but buyer beware, you'll never receive your plants. Shame on me for not getting a referral first.

Offline Nationalist Girl

• Prepper
Re: Coe's Comfrey, Warning
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
Update: After a few phone calls it has been resolved and he is shipping my plants. I ordered about two months ago though. If you do order be sure to include your phone number and don't bother emailing him.

Offline nate_o23

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:44:30 PM »
I have ordered root cuttings from him twice and been pretty pleased. I used Paypal for both transactions with no problems. He sent some extra cuttings along with some DVDs. I dont remember exactly how long it took, probable a few weeks at most each time. Bear in mind your dealing with live plants that arent always ready to ship the second you order.
 Not trying to argue with you just passing along my experience.

Offline jbritely

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »
I ordered some root cuttings and a one year plant.  Everthing arrived promptly and looked good but something dug up every single plant.  I'm guessing it was a racoon or possum.  Protect your plantings.  I will probably reorder in the spring.  Confrey must smell really good to critters.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
I ordered some root cuttings and a one year plant.  Everthing arrived promptly and looked good but something dug up every single plant.  I'm guessing it was a racoon or possum.  Protect your plantings.  I will probably reorder in the spring.  Confrey must smell really good to critters.
Odds are you will have a new plant come up in the spring.  The smallest piece of root left in the ground will almost always regenerate into a new plant.  This can be both a blessing and a curse, as it's a tough plant to kill once it gets established in an area.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »
I ordered 50 root cuttings from him last fall and received them promptly. My buddy ordered a little after me, after Jack talked about him on the show. His order took way longer. The guy actually called him and talked to him for like 40min, he even mentioned that he has heard he was recommended on some survival show. My buddy then told him about TSP and he said he was going to check it out.

Bear in mind your dealing with live plants that arent always ready to ship the second you order.

That's probably the issue, and it sounds like a mom and pop shop that can have inventory cleaned out pretty quick when someone with 80,000 listeners plugs your product.

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »
I placed an order with Coe's for 10 crown cuttings last fall.  It did take a long time to arrive (a month?).  I was just about ready to call and it arrived, along with 5 bonus root cuttings and a hand-written note apologizing for the delay (and some brochures and a DVD).

I had some things come up, and had to store the cuttings in the fridge for a couple weeks before I was finally able to plant them.  The literature said this was no problem.  It was getting pretty late in the year, but the info I found said that you can plant up until the soil freezes.  We had 4-5 weeks of soil temps above 45-50 degrees, and the plants never emerged before winter.  I hope they come up in the spring.  I was hoping to get some photosynthesis out of them to build sugar stores in the roots to keep them viable over the winter...I'm a little concerned...seems like 4-5 weeks should have been long enough for them to emerge, though I did plant them at least 3-4 inches deep.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
I'm a little concerned...seems like 4-5 weeks should have been long enough for them to emerge, though I did plant them at least 3-4 inches deep.

I planted mine in pots, 4 cuttings to a pot, as soon as I got them. It took at least 5 weeks before the first leaf popped through the soil. These were root cuttings and not crowns. I got crowns of a different variety from someone else they were pretty big and poked through after about 3 weeks.

My root cuttings were about 3-4" deep, the crowns less as they had sprouts that were already starting.

I think you should be OK, if not I'll mail you some. I bought 50 each of bocking 14 and 44, chances are I'll have some extra ;)

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
I planted mine in pots, 4 cuttings to a pot, as soon as I got them. It took at least 5 weeks before the first leaf popped through the soil. These were root cuttings and not crowns. I got crowns of a different variety from someone else they were pretty big and poked through after about 3 weeks.

My root cuttings were about 3-4" deep, the crowns less as they had sprouts that were already starting.

I think you should be OK, if not I'll mail you some. I bought 50 each of bocking 14 and 44, chances are I'll have some extra ;)

I would gladly pay you for some cuttings if you have extra, even if mine do come up.  They were all Bocking #4 from Coe's, and are around the garden where we're living.  But I'm planting a number of trees at a remote property and want to get some comfrey going under them as part of a guild.  I will follow up in this thread or with a PM in the spring.