Author Topic: woodchuck in the area  (Read 8838 times)

Offline bigbuck150

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: woodchuck in the area
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »
This post brings back some memories.  When I was in my early teens I would sit on my uncle's farm atop a hay bale and shoot at wood chucks during the summer.  One day my bear recurve bow string broke and it sent my arrow into the horizon and I never did find it. 

MODERATOR EDIT:  Deleted spam link, banned spammer
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:27:43 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
This post brings back some memories.  When I was in my early teens I would sit on my uncle's farm atop a hay bale and shoot at wood chucks during the summer.  One day my bear recurve bow string broke and it sent my arrow into the horizon and I never did find it.

I have almost the same memories on my grandmother’s farm in Indiana from the 1980’s.  My friend and I found a .22 in the house we used to shoot them.  It was a semi-auto with the tube in the stock but we’d never seen anything like it and treated it like a single shot until we figured out it loaded in the stock.  We hit several woodchucks that year.

My aunt took the rifle to her house in TX sometime over the next winter.  A neighbor who framed the land for my grandmother offered his 12 gauge that next summer to shoot them.  He also had a .223 of some sort (maybe a mini-14) but wouldn’t give that to us because of the range.  I never had any luck with the 12 gauge as I recall.

Mind you we were minors both years and just started using the .22 without feeling the need to ask anyone.  The next year the neighbor loaned us the 12 gauge without feeling the need to ask my parents or grandmother if it was ok.  We knew how to use firearms, he understood the risk of the .223 and kept that away from us, but trusted us with the shotgun and had no reason to think our parents would mind.  It was a different world back then (just 40 odd years ago).

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »
Let him fatten up through the summer and shoot him in the fall.  A .22 with CB Long's is quieter than most air rifles and will do the job.  The meat makes a delicious stew.  A distinctive flavor but very nice.  If you do decide to trap it, young fresh green beans work well as bait.