Author Topic: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger  (Read 2404 times)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
Has anyone used the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger? Your thoughts on it?

thanks,

Joe

endurance

Re: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »
I've had one of the original models since about 2008 or so (the year they came out).  I never had a problem with it except when my credit card expired before my annual renewal came up.  They screwed up the renewal several times and I was concerned that I wasn't actually covered until I tested it. 

However, I have a friend who got one of the newer, smaller models in 2011 and he returned three defective units in 13 months (the first two went out in the first two weeks of use).  He's on his fourth unit and so far it's been working great, but that is not a confidence builder.

I've decided to go with the Delorme InReach SE instead.  While simple monitoring costs the same, the ability to pair it with your smart phone and use it for two-way text messages sealed the deal for me. 

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do all these messenger devices charge a yearly subscription fee?

I have generally had EXCELLENT cell reception on backpacking trips (old TracFones rock, believe it or not), so the need for text service never seemed useful enough to me to justify the yearly expense.

I really like that this SPOT unit has replaceable batteries though. The battery on my GPS locator is not widely available.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
I've had one of the original models since about 2008 or so (the year they came out).  I never had a problem with it except when my credit card expired before my annual renewal came up.  They screwed up the renewal several times and I was concerned that I wasn't actually covered until I tested it. 

However, I have a friend who got one of the newer, smaller models in 2011 and he returned three defective units in 13 months (the first two went out in the first two weeks of use).  He's on his fourth unit and so far it's been working great, but that is not a confidence builder.

I've decided to go with the Delorme InReach SE instead.  While simple monitoring costs the same, the ability to pair it with your smart phone and use it for two-way text messages sealed the deal for me.

How does that one work?

endurance

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »
The SPOT and the Delorme InReach both require annual or in some cases, season subscriptions.  The cheapest plans are $9.95/month or $100/year depending on the company.  That allows you to send "OK," "Help" or 911 messages.  Some packages allow you to have a tracking feature where others can follow you with updates every 10 minutes on your location, but this costs more, and some packages with the right devices allow you to send one way texts or e-mails with your location and up to 142 character message, while others allow two way messages.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

For $25/month I'll be able to send and receive up to 40 messages a month, have tracking where I can actually be pinged for my current location, and 911 access (where search and rescue can contact me via text and assess my condition at the situation).  I'll do it through hunting season, then drop down to the $9.95 monitoring status for the remainder of the year.