Author Topic: Food Forest on Eastern Plains of Colorado  (Read 39671 times)

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • Regen Farmer
    • www.RegenFarms.com
The mob grazers at Regen Farms
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:21 PM »
Here is a short video of the two mini Herefords which are the mob grazers at regen farms.  I just opened them up to a new area and they were excited.  So much so they jumped the fence.  There is a higher wire you can't seeing the video.  The came back to the loafing shed and in the gate later.  I've chased them back in several times so them coming back was great!

They eat more than I expected when it comes to hay.  And I will give them hay in the field from now on since they made a big mess of the hay in the loading shed.  Greg Judy says they will eat 70 percent of it if you throw it in the field and the rest will become ground cover.

http://youtu.be/k5hN4bE6X6Y

Wild Colonial Boy

Re: Food Forest on Eastern Plains of Colorado
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:55 AM »
Keep up the great work. It must be good to have a few cattle on the property!

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • Regen Farmer
    • www.RegenFarms.com
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 08:46:55 PM »
Except for nights like this when they got out again ahhh.  I need to have either another wire higher or the tape wite heavier.  I'm glad the cows somewhat follow me now.  It will be great to see how they help the grass and soil this next growing season.  So far they are definitely not trained like the mob grazing cows I see behind a single strand.  Maybe these girls will calm down when they get a bit older.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »
Maybe these girls will calm down when they get a bit older.

They sure look energetic in the video! They remind me of big puppies  ;D

Wild Colonial Boy

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
Oh you brought up keyline plows!!! I was looking into them again last week wondering if I could buy a yeomans (spelling?).  I thought I found a supplier in California earlier this year and this time I found a facebook page for a company in the north east.  I don't even have a tractor but I would like a plow and figure if they work other people would want to use it as well.  I do wonder if it would help with the sandy and compact soil.  Water just soaks in so I'm wondering if swales are over kill.  I'm glad most of my swales have woody cores.  After the week of rain and another 2.5 inches of rain most of my swales were dry. 

My neighbor came over today (saw the smoke from my biochar operation) and mentioned the csfs tree program is open now.  He also mentioned something about a $1,000 matching grant the last time we spoke.  I would like to get some trees from them and plant them above wood/compost/biochar mix to see if they would really take off.  Hopefully I'll work on that front this year.  It is almost time for me to order the trees for my next food forest I want to put in this next year.

If I can find people who would drop off wood chips in Watkins I'd be all for it.  I've thought about offering to pay them to bring them out.  Or have them dropped off in Denver and then I'd load them and bring them.  Oh a dump trailer would be great!

Kreindl, how did you go sourcing a Yeoman's Keyline Plow, did you buy or rent?

I'd be interested to know how it turned out if you did use it on your property.

I am considering renting one from our local Ag Services Company (with tractor). 

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • Regen Farmer
    • www.RegenFarms.com
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
Kreindl, how did you go sourcing a Yeoman's Keyline Plow, did you buy or rent?

I'd be interested to know how it turned out if you did use it on your property.

I am considering renting one from our local Ag Services Company (with tractor).
I didn't buy or use one.  I found a farm in bolder county that has one and I went and watched it work.  His soil is very different than mine.  His was black and had clay to it.  My soil has a lot of sand in it which I believe has more air mixed in it.  I question how much a keyline plow would help my soil type.  I keep looking for a single shank plow like the antique one Mark Shepard uses. Iit has two wheels with a shank behind the wheels.  And he can set the depth and pull it behind the tractor.  He either paid $50 for it or borrowed it.  I hope to find a cheap solution like that instead of a $10,000 plow that takes a 50 hp tractor to pull.  I believe Yeowman said in his book that you can achieve the same results with animals.  That is why I have the miniature Herefords on the property.  I give them a new area to graze each time I get out there.  I spread worms around the property as well and they will help provide food for all soil life.

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • Regen Farmer
    • www.RegenFarms.com
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:33 PM »
I'm going to try my first periscope broadcast of the homestead my handle is @justKinchIt
I should end up with a recording of it as well and if that works I'll post it as well.  Hopefully this will make it easier to post videos.

Wild Colonial Boy

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2016, 05:35:49 AM »
G'day K, How's that Food Forest of yours developing.  Any updates?

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
I keep looking for a single shank plow like the antique one Mark Shepard uses. Iit has two wheels with a shank behind the wheels.  And he can set the depth and pull it behind the tractor.  He either paid $50 for it or borrowed it.  I hope to find a cheap solution like that instead of a $10,000 plow that takes a 50 hp tractor to pull.
Tractor Supply in Bennett has a single shank rig they call the "SubSoiler" http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-subsoiler
I've been able to rip pretty well with my 30 HP Deere 3120 in 4wd, and the 3-point hitch allows the depth to be adjusted easily.  Did my first ripping last year.  Can't say I've seen much benefit but I'll rip again this year to see if I can get closer to achieving Mark Shepard's "chocolate cake".
Great project - please keep your posts coming!

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • Regen Farmer
    • www.RegenFarms.com
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing about the ripper!  If you are in the area I'd like to see your soil.  Mine is sandy.  The mini heifers are quite large now and going through a lot of hay to improve the soil.
The jack rabbits have taken to chewing the irrigation pipe so I'll be burying it this spring.
The black locust that got a lot of irrigation really did well as did the sea berries which got the most irrigation!

I keep taking photos but posting them hasn't been happening. More make it to Facebook. 

endurance

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2016, 07:13:13 AM »
Thanks for the update. I'd love to see it again next spring.

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • Regen Farmer
    • www.RegenFarms.com
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
A quick Facebook live video I took with a drone.  I look forward to making videos after everything flushes out.  https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=973306729440331&id=743997109037962