Author Topic: Jump Traps  (Read 2049 times)

Offline chesco_rich61

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.
Jump Traps
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
I am going to try my hand at trapping this year and found a guy selling jump traps anyone know if these are any good, bad, or thoughts thanks in advance

Offline Mandevu

• Prepper
    • The Emergent Farm
Re: Jump Traps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:56 PM »
Glad to hear that you are getting into trapping.  I have 2 seasons under my belt, and am hooked!

As for jump traps, it sounds like they were replaced by the coil spring...

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3377483/Why_no_new_jump_traps

I have never used them, though when I lived in Maryland, I heard guys talk about setting them for muskrat.  Depends on what you are after, I reckon.  I have only used coil springs and dog proofs, and am happy with their performance.

Take a look at the Trap Shed section of the Trapperman.com forum, as well as ebay, for more leads on traps for sale.

And when choosing your traps, start from your target species then choose traps best suited to the critter as well as the location (as in, on land vs. in the water).  Get some instructional books and/or dvds too.  Very helpful.

Good luck!  Trapping's got a steep learning curve, but it's fascinating and loads of fun.

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
As pointed out above, jump traps are old traps, old technology. A good, modern coil spring or long spring trap will give you many years of service, and can be had with laminated, offset jaws which eliminate damage to the animals paw. I believe in ethical trapping.

I have a lot of material on my site: http://meattrapper.com/

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Offline chesco_rich61

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND THE RESOURCE GUYS