Author Topic: The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a plan to set up a new "volunteer  (Read 2448 times)

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=92288

House adopts plan for 'volunteer' corps
Also requires new evaluation of 'mandatory' service for all

The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a plan to set up a new "volunteer corps" and consider whether "a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people" should be developed.

(please click link for full article - post was edited by Alpha Mike, in accordance with DMCA rules and regulations)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:17:19 PM by Alpha Mike »

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
Mandatory Volunteering huh? I think they call that an oxymoron

So they dont mind DRAFTING people as long as it isnt for the defense of the nation.

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
I agree that we should have mandatory service. Not for the civil sector, but through the Armed Forces.
Take away grade 11 and have a mandatory service. Kinda like what they talked about in Lions for Lambs.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
I agree that we should have mandatory service. Not for the civil sector, but through the Armed Forces.
Take away grade 11 and have a mandatory service. Kinda like what they talked about in Lions for Lambs.

Sure I can agree with that, Don't the swiss have something like that, and at the end of the service they get to go home with their guns. Now thats national security when every man is trained and armed.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor

From Wikipedia:

"Liberty, the freedom to act or believe without being stopped by unnecessary force, is generally considered in modern time to be a concept of political philosophy and identifies the condition in which an individual has the right to act according to his or her own will.  Individualist and liberal conceptions of liberty relate to the freedom of the individual from outside compulsion or coercion; "

Or, from Webster's:

"1: the quality or state of being free: a: the power to do as one pleases b: freedom from physical restraint c: freedom from arbitrary or despotic control d: the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges e: the power of choice"

Mandatory military service (forced labor) is conscription.  Speaking of Webster, Daniel Webster said it pretty good:

"Where is it written in the Constitution, in what article or section is it contained, that you may take children from their parents, and parents from their children, and compel them to fight the battles of any war, in which the folly or the wickedness of Government may engage it?"

Or Reagan:

"...it rests on the assumption that your kids belong to the state. If we buy that assumption then it is for the state – not for parents, the community, the religious institutions or teachers – to decide who shall have what values and who shall do what work, when, where and how in our society. That assumption isn't a new one. The Nazis thought it was a great idea."

Or, Ron Paul:

"Mr. Speaker, the most important reason to oppose reinstatement of a military draft is that conscription violates the very principles upon which this country was founded. The basic premise underlying conscription is that the individual belongs to the state, individual rights are granted by the state, and therefore politicians can abridge individual rights at will. In contrast, the philosophy which inspired America's founders, expressed in the Declaration of Independence, is that individuals possess natural, God-given rights which cannot be abridged by the government."

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator

Mandatory service is unConstitutional.

Amendment XIII
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
Right, so I guess I wasn't thinking right. I should have said in both the civil and Armed sectors... Tehe

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
What is so new about this?  It seems to be a logical continuation of compulsory public education. Being a product of public education, I can easily see that volunteering just hasn't evolved into mandating yet. Give it time. It's for your own good.  If something as bad as a war on terror can evolve into something as good as an overseas contingency plan, think how great mandatory volunteering can be!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Mandatory Volunteering huh? I think they call that an oxymoron

I call it doublethink.

Tommy Jefferson

See how your "representative" voted...

http://www.opencongress.org/roll_call/show/5358

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Good to know that McHenry voted Nay. Didn't seem to do much good, however. :-\

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor

I don't know about the mandatory military service, especially since our government as used our military the way they have since WWII. I have 2 boys, and although they are a long ways away from the age of military service, I would hate to know they gave their life trying to bring democracy to a people that would not themselves fight for it. While I totally respect what our soldiers done in both Vietnam and Iraq, I don't believe it was worth losing American lives over. Our military should remain 100% volunteer as long as they are going to be used as world peace keepers.

Sure I can agree with that, Don't the swiss have something like that, and at the end of the service they get to go home with their guns. Now thats national security when every man is trained and armed.

infobomber,

I think that is one of the best arguments against gun control that there is. The Swiss have a fully automatic machine gun in every home, and it's one of the safest places in the world to live. I would not disagree with something along the lines of what they do. IMO everyone, especially all able bodied males, should learn how to defend THEIR country, MAYBE even mandatory military service, again, as long it was for only the defense of this country. It might give some of these bleeding heart liberals a new respect for what our soldiers do.

While I'm not opposed to some idea that might give high school credit for doing volunteer work, all this crap about uniforms and training camps is a little scary. One of the problems I can see though would be what agencies would be deemed by our liberal school systems as "approved". I really don't see them giving the go ahead for kids doing some volunteer work for the Appleseed Project, or the NRA.