Author Topic: Wasps and hornets!  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Hilly

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Wasps and hornets!
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
I don't know if any of you have problems with wasps taking over your yards and gardens, but I've been having more wasps than I've ever seen in previous years. They're those long waisted, black winged wasps that build paper honey combs hanging from the eaves on the house and garage. Last year they took over my birdbath and the birds stopped coming. This year we sprayed under the eaves to try and discourage them, but they just build somewhere else. I can't work in my garden without them buzzing around my head. My dogs keep getting stung, and are becoming nervous while in the yard.

I HATE the wasps, and want them GONE from my garden and yard!

Does anyone have any suggestions??? I poisoned them last year, but they keep coming back.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Re: Wasps and hornets!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
If it is the European Paper Wasp, which has invaded the US over the past few decades, you can forget about using wasp traps.  There is no known attractant for this species that works reliably.

(You can guess which species I've got here.)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
I don't know if any of you have problems with wasps taking over your yards and gardens, but I've been having more wasps than I've ever seen in previous years. They're those long waisted, black winged wasps that build paper honey combs hanging from the eaves on the house and garage. Last year they took over my birdbath and the birds stopped coming. This year we sprayed under the eaves to try and discourage them, but they just build somewhere else. I can't work in my garden without them buzzing around my head. My dogs keep getting stung, and are becoming nervous while in the yard.

I HATE the wasps, and want them GONE from my garden and yard!

Does anyone have any suggestions??? I poisoned them last year, but they keep coming back.
how large are the nests? are they closed cell or open celled? if they are paper wasps, those are best to be left alone, they are great predators.
if they are yellow jackets, nuke 'em from orbit.. ;)

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
if its a yellow jacket hive.
 i wait until dark when they are all back and take a water hose with the brass fire nozzle style on the end and keep spraying it off the building(stepping quickly inside before they do anything)
a couple of nights of this and they have to move.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
  We've had some luck with fake wasp nets. The bigger the better. I guess it scares them away. Good for 9 or so feet.

Offline MissAnthrope Plant Nerd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »
Our new place was over run with red wasps last fall, when we bought the place.  This spring I knew I had to get control of the area.  I put diesel in a squirt bottle and sprayed every wasp that flew around.  It was dangerous work, but I sprayed the literally hundreds that lined the corners of an old trailer they had taken over.  I sprayed the mix on hundreds of them.  I walked back there a few days later and there were only a dozen or so red wasps - the diesel is an oil that must stay on them and eventually kill them.  I sprayed them also.  Diesel is the wasp killer of my choice.  I didn't even fill the dollar store quart sized hand spray bottle to the top and it took care of the problem.  Please  - no lectures on the dangers of using gas or diesel to other things than running engines - those of use who live out in the country do things that city folks shouldn't try ;)

(I also use gas as the ultimate solvent when I can't get something out of a paint brush).

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
For me it's all about finding, destroying, and preventing hives. You should get a good feel where they are trying to set up shop and fight them there. I have used diesel, commercial sprays, and water in the past and they all seem to work as long as you find the source. I have a fence that wasps seem to love. Every spring I give it a quick spray with the commercial stuff and they stay away. Pretty simple once you get a handle on it.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:04:12 AM »
I guess I'll be the odd man out.  If they build a nest and it really isn't in a place where it's going to cause a threat to people of livestock, then leave it alone.  There is a purpose for them.  Yes, I've taken out nests often, but only if they are a direct threat to the family or animals.  I had a big yellow jacket nest take over an abandoned vole hole.  It was near the garden, but since I hadn't been stung and I'm the only one that would be in that area, I left them alone.  Even yellow jackets hav a purpose in the garden.  As long as they are raising young, yellow jackets will scavenge any protein they can find, this is often bugs in the garden.  In the Fall, they switch over to sugar, so that's not a great thing.  They eat a lot of my raspberries in the fall.  I just have to deal with it.

Offline Elessar

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »
I have been fighting with paper wasps for almost five years.  They have invested the vinyl soffits of our house.  I was successful at removing them from the immediate vicinity of one doorway during the cold temps in the fall so we can safely get in/out, but they simply moved to another location around the corner.  I have tried spraying and baiting them but they just keep coming back.

What I've read states that if you dont' get the queen, the rest of the hive comes back or simply moves.  We now have them in three locations around the eves.  I really don't want to disassemble the soffit and facia of the entire house to get rid of them, but at this point, I don't see any other way.  We have five doors to our house and it is inevitable that they will nest near at least one door.  The worst one, right now, is just off the front porch, so that area is unusable.

Wish there was an easier way...

Offline Hilly

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
Well, after watching closely for a while, I have finally figured out why the wasps are so attracted to my gardens. They are chewing the wood on the fencing that we made to keep the bunnies out of the gardens. Guess a coat of paint is in order. I was really hoping to not have to paint the fence, but I guess it would be worth it to get rid of the wasps. Maybe I could use something else? I don't like the idea using anything toxic to birds or pets.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
The year we got chickens, we had a noticeable decrease in wasps.  I do not think the hens are eating the wasps (although I have seen a hen eating the corpses from destroyed nests).  I think maybe the hens are out-competing the wasps for the insects they both eat.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
Guess a coat of paint is in order. I was really hoping to not have to paint the fence, but I guess it would be worth it to get rid of the wasps. Maybe I could use something else? I don't like the idea using anything toxic to birds or pets.

Old-fashioned milk paint might work.  It's very safe.  Not quite as durable as a quality outdoor latex enamel, but it's as natural and non-toxic as paint gets.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 04:47:53 AM »
I guess I'll be the odd man out.  If they build a nest and it really isn't in a place where it's going to cause a threat to people of livestock, then leave it alone.  There is a purpose for them.  Yes, I've taken out nests often, but only if they are a direct threat to the family or animals.  I had a big yellow jacket nest take over an abandoned vole hole.  It was near the garden, but since I hadn't been stung and I'm the only one that would be in that area, I left them alone.  Even yellow jackets hav a purpose in the garden.  As long as they are raising young, yellow jackets will scavenge any protein they can find, this is often bugs in the garden.  In the Fall, they switch over to sugar, so that's not a great thing.  They eat a lot of my raspberries in the fall.  I just have to deal with it.

Same here. 

The wasps behave much differently in my space (the garden) than they do when I'm in their space (around their nest).  The are constantly picking over the garden plants, a good thing.

Offline SBCForrest

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
I try to have a live and let live relationship with the insects on my land. Until they get into an area where they become a danger to me or my wife. I've had to kill a bunch of wasps over the summer and fall. They really had not been too bad though, but this morning I went outside and my entire house, all sides, sunny and shaded, all of my out buildings and carport were literally crawling with wasps and lady bugs. No exaggeration there were many hundreds of wasps and thousands of lady bugs. I don't know why or what to do about them. If they are going to nest in my house they will take it over. Does anyone know why this happens?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
They really had not been too bad though, but this morning I went outside and my entire house, all sides, sunny and shaded, all of my out buildings and carport were literally crawling with wasps and lady bugs. No exaggeration there were many hundreds of wasps and thousands of lady bugs. I don't know why or what to do about them. If they are going to nest in my house they will take it over. Does anyone know why this happens?

Winter's coming, and the bugs are looking for warmth, which your house has in abundance.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, because most of them will be dead soon as the colder weather comes.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
  • Universal Man in Training
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
I just haven't had an issue, and I have wasps nests all around my house. They've definitely come to a screeching halt recently, as its finally down in the 60/70s here. I have heard of people in my area having issue with the ground hornets, but we definitely don't have them. I'm hoping the massive amount of bees and wasps we currently have just kinda keep them at bay.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
If it is the European Paper Wasp, which has invaded the US over the past few decades, you can forget about using wasp traps.  There is no known attractant for this species that works reliably.

(You can guess which species I've got here.)

Black cherry juice.

I've got some potted trees on the porch which are themselves a great attractant for European Paper Wasps. :P  (Pseudobombax ellipticum -- they exude sweet sap that the wasps love.)  So I hung a plastic wasp trap from one of them.  No luck on the first attempt (pineapple juice), but I happened to have a little black cherry concentrate, so I diluted that with water and gave it a try.  Seems to be bringing 'em in.  The only problem is that the juice is too dark for me to see how many have drowned in it.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Bill. I got pretty sick of the wasps on my fruit trees this spring... had to time my fruit-picking early in the morning when they weren't out yet. I'll try this trick.