Author Topic: Dental Emergency Preps  (Read 29424 times)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
Dental Emergency Preps
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »
I checked the board and didn't see a dental emerency thread, so if I missed one please school me. 

Using my own experiences, I realized that dental emergencies can be every bit as bad as other physical emergencies.  For example, my wife had an abcess on (or in) a tooth a few years back.  It was a Sunday night 2330, and she was in an insane amount of pain that sent me scurrying all over Albuquerque NM looking for Ambusal or anything else that would hold her over till we could get into the dentist.  This was a real bad deal and I think about this same scenario happening during a SHTF situation. 

Question:  What are good dental preps and references to have on hand?  I'm thinking of abcesses, broken teeth, busted crown, broken braces, tooth ache, etc. 

I can only think of Ambisal and asperin, but I'm sure there is more out there.  Bring it on folks! ;D

Berserker Prime

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Dental Emergency Preps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
BP,

Here is a decent reference for you to start with.  Some of these things, we as lay people, could probably not be obtained.  However, there is plenty in there that could help to prevent or treat minor problems and, in turn, mitigate larger problems. 

Where There Is No Dentist Downloadable PDF Sections

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
BP,

Here is a decent reference for you to start with.  Some of these things, we as lay people, could probably not be obtained.  However, there is plenty in there that could help to prevent or treat minor problems and, in turn, mitigate larger problems. 

Where There Is No Dentist Downloadable PDF Sections

Very cool, thank you Sir!

BP

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
I use clove oil as a tumescent instead of Ambesol. You can even make it into candies for longer lasting benefits.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
Question:  What are good dental preps and references to have on hand?  I'm thinking of abcesses, broken teeth, busted crown, broken braces, tooth ache, etc.

High strength narcotics just like medics in WWII carried.

If you don't have a store in your preps, you should.

Morphine, fentanyl, etc.

Offline firetoad

• Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »
Morphine, fentanyl, etc.

Aren't these controlled substances?

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »

Morphine, fentanyl, etc.

Sweet! Where may I find these?  ;D

Seriously though I had bought a copy of "Where there is no Dentist" http://www.amazon.com/Where-There-Dentist-Murray-Dickson/dp/0942364058/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238383476&sr=8-1 during the Y2K scare. Might be worth a read to get an idea of what you would need.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:27:20 PM »
Aren't these controlled substances?

They are.

Offline firetoad

• Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
Schedule II to be exact.  Sorry Tommy J, I lost my DEA schedule license when I moved on from Narc Dog training so won't be able to stock this type of pharmaceuticals.

Schedule II controlled substances

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions.

(C) Abuse of the drug or other substances may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence." [10]

These substances are only available by prescription, and distribution is carefully controlled and monitored by the DEA. Oral prescriptions are allowed, except that the prescription is limited to 30 days worth of doses, although exceptions are made for cancer patients, burn victims, etc. and oral prescriptions for schedule II drugs must be confirmed in writing within 3 days. No refills are allowed. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is finalizing a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking published on September 6, 2006 (71 FR 52724). In that document, DEA proposed to amend its regulations to allow practitioners to provide individual patients with multiple prescriptions, to be filled sequentially, for the same schedule II controlled substance, with such multiple prescriptions having the combined effect of allowing a patient to receive over time up to a 90- day supply of that controlled substance. This went in to effect December 19, 2007. Also, Schedule II substances are subject to production quotas set by the DEA. Some of these drugs (notably Fentanyl in non-transdermal form) are never given to patients for home use, but are administered only by a licensed healthcare provider. Fentanyl can be given to patients for home use in Duragesic transdermal therapeutic system patch form. The prescription must be hand delivered within 7 days to the pharmacy and the prescription is limited to 30 days worth of doses.

These drugs vary in potency: for example Fentanyl is about 80 times as potent as morphine. (Heroin is roughly four times as potent.)

Drugs in this schedule include:

Cocaine (used as a topical anesthetic);
Methylphenidate (Ritalin and Concerta) & Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin) (used in treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder);
Opium and opium tincture (laudanum), which is used as a potent antidiarrheal;
Methadone (used in treatment of heroin addiction as well as for treatment of extreme chronic pain)
Oxycodone (semi-synthetic opioid; active ingredient in Percocet, OxyContin, and Percodan)
Fentanyl and Most other pure strong opioid agonists, i.e. levorphanol, opium, or oxymorphone;
Morphine
Concerta
Amphetamine Salts (racemic) Under brand name Adderall
Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) Dextromethamphetamine (Desoxyn)
Hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
Pure codeine and any drug for non-parenteral administration containing the equivalent of more than 90 mg of codeine per dosage unit.;
Pure hydrocodone and any drug for non-parenteral administration containing no other active ingredients or more than 15 mg per dosage unit.;
Secobarbital (Seconal)
Pethidine (USAN: Meperidine; Demerol)
Phencyclidine (PCP);
Short-acting barbiturates, such as pentobarbital, (Nembutal (now out of production));
Amphetamines were originally placed on Schedule III, but were moved to Schedule II in 1971. Injectable methamphetamine has always been on Schedule II;
Nabilone (Cesamet) A synthetic cannabinoid. An analogue to dronabinol (Marinol) which is a Schedule III drug.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
I lost my DEA schedule license when I moved on from Narc Dog training so won't be able to stock this type of pharmaceuticals.

The government says you are too stupid to use medicine.

Do you believe them?

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:57 PM »
The government says you are too stupid to use medicine.

Do you believe them?

Well Played!  :D

HumeMan

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »
Emergency essentials has a decent tooth filling kit.  Limited use but still helpful.

]]http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CH%20T080_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]]

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 08:16:26 AM »
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CH%20T080_A_name_E_

Cool find.  If someone looses a cap or filling in an emergency, the only remedy I know of is to pull the tooth with a  pair of pliers.  Of course the tooth would break apart.  Then you resort to pulling out the pieces with needle-nose pliers.  In addition to being blindingly painful, that greatly increases the risk of infection.  This product could prevent that.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:34:04 AM »
Emergency essentials has a decent tooth filling kit.  Limited use but still helpful.

]]http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CH%20T080_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]]

Ditto, thanks for that as I didn't know such a thing existed! 

+1

GUNN1313

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
About 5 years ago I had a tooth that went real bad. I had just got myself off the streets and was living on top romen so the cash to get it fixed was out of the question. After a week of constent mind numbing pain I had to do some thing. So a Friend who is a vet told me that if I went to a tack and feed store one could find and buy antibiotics for farm animals with no Rx needed and that it was the same stuff that people use but seance it was not inspected by the FDA it was dirt cheap. It took me 3 days of screaming pain to cut/pull/push and pry out all of the tooth with no pain reliever. While the experience sucked it did teach me a few things. First given no other option one can endure and over come a lot of pain(yes I cryed yes I passed out more than once but I got through it :)). Now I keep a stock of basic first aid meds if I had taken antibiotics sooner it would not have been so bad. Just a warning be for you go ruining out to a tack and feed store when you do this do some research not all of the stuff their is fit for people and you will have to make some adjustments to dosing because you do not weight the same as a horse.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »
About 5 years ago I had a tooth that went real bad. I had just got myself off the streets and was living on top romen so the cash to get it fixed was out of the question. After a week of constent mind numbing pain I had to do some thing. So a Friend who is a vet told me that if I went to a tack and feed store one could find and buy antibiotics for farm animals with no Rx needed and that it was the same stuff that people use but seance it was not inspected by the FDA it was dirt cheap. It took me 3 days of screaming pain to cut/pull/push and pry out all of the tooth with no pain reliever. While the experience sucked it did teach me a few things. First given no other option one can endure and over come a lot of pain(yes I cryed yes I passed out more than once but I got through it :)). Now I keep a stock of basic first aid meds if I had taken antibiotics sooner it would not have been so bad. Just a warning be for you go ruining out to a tack and feed store when you do this do some research not all of the stuff their is fit for people and you will have to make some adjustments to dosing because you do not weight the same as a horse.

Dude, I don't even know what to say but DAMN!  If I could give you 10 karma points I would, but +1 will have to do.  I'm finishing up an EMT cert this week, and will work on my med/dental kit next week.  Thanks for the post and love the dogs!

Berserker Prime

Winchester32

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
Ironically enough, I am experiencing this very issue right now!  Popped off a temp. crown, and it does not feel good. 

As for ideas:

You can get crown/filling repair kits from places like Walmart.  Pretty cheap too.  I just happened to have some on hand this evening and glued the darn thing back in until I can hopefully get into the Dr. tomorrow. 

Dental wax is also good and can also be found at Walmart.  You can form it over a broken tooth to keep air and water from hitting it and blowing the top of your head off.   :o

If you have an open hole from where a filling fell out, you can crush up an aspirin and put it up in the hole.  It helps with pain a little better than swallowing it.  It will taste bitter, but it does help.

I know I have some herbal things that will help with an abscess, but they are escaping me right now.........it's late.   ;)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
Great info Winchester!  Thanks. 

BP

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:48 PM »

OUCH!!!!! That makes my teeth hurt just reading it. +1 for you!!!

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »
I wonder if you could use a two-part epoxy putty to fill in a lost filling or a broken temp....

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »
I wonder if you could use a two-part epoxy putty to fill in a lost filling or a broken temp....

I suppose if the pain is bad enough, you'd try anything, though I'd be very reluctant to put an industrial compound in my mouth. 

BP

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
I saw at the local Lucky (a grocery store) a small dental quick fix kit. The jar contains a small amount of dental cement that can be used to re-attach a crown/filling that has fallen out/off or to make a temp filling. For around $4, I will pick it up and post back what it is.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »
I saw at the local Lucky (a grocery store) a small dental quick fix kit. The jar contains a small amount of dental cement that can be used to re-attach a crown/filling that has fallen out/off or to make a temp filling. For around $4, I will pick it up and post back what it is.

Thanks Archer.  We are getting our first real drug store here (Walgreens) and expect to see some items like this.  I dispise giving my money to Wally World but may need to check them out to see if they carry some of the suggestions on the thread.

BP

Offline Buffy

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
Temparin One Step. I got it at Rite-Aid drugstore in the toothpaste aisle. Haven't tried it, but its supposed to reattach crowns and make temporary fillings. I think it was less than five bucks.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »
Temparin One Step. I got it at Rite-Aid drugstore in the toothpaste aisle. Haven't tried it, but its supposed to reattach crowns and make temporary fillings. I think it was less than five bucks.
That's it, thanks Buffy.. I need to get back to the store and get some. +1

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »

Thank you Buffy!  +1

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

Morphine, fentanyl, etc.

Oh nice one. And where are you going to get those?

Fentanyl has a very short duration anyway (30-60 minutes duration IV, 1-2 hours IM), unless you've somehow scored fentanyl patches. You would have to re-dose ridiculously often.

Morphine lasts longer with a duration of 3-5 hours IV, but I wonder if the more appropriate option is vicodin.

In any case good luck finding a doctor stupid enough to prescribe these to you for just in case.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
Oh nice one. And where are you going to get those?

Fentanyl has a very short duration anyway (30-60 minutes duration IV, 1-2 hours IM), unless you've somehow scored fentanyl patches. You would have to re-dose ridiculously often.

Morphine lasts longer with a duration of 3-5 hours IV, but I wonder if the more appropriate option is vicodin.

In any case good luck finding a doctor stupid enough to prescribe these to you for just in case.

Good stuff to know.  Thanks Asclepius.

BP

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »
Ironically enough, I am experiencing this very issue right now!  Popped off a temp. crown, and it does not feel good. 

As for ideas:

You can get crown/filling repair kits from places like Walmart.  Pretty cheap too.  I just happened to have some on hand this evening and glued the darn thing back in until I can hopefully get into the Dr. tomorrow. 

Dental wax is also good and can also be found at Walmart.  You can form it over a broken tooth to keep air and water from hitting it and blowing the top of your head off.   :o

If you have an open hole from where a filling fell out, you can crush up an aspirin and put it up in the hole.  It helps with pain a little better than swallowing it.  It will taste bitter, but it does help.

I know I have some herbal things that will help with an abscess, but they are escaping me right now.........it's late.   ;)

Sorry to hear that Winchester, must be something in the air, I had one fall off today as well for the second time in 2 years (keep telling the darn dentist it doesn't fit right, almost time to find a new dentist). I didn't see a picture on Emergency Essentials, but one of our local grocery stores (Ingles, based out of Asheville NC, for those that live in the area) has a dental repair/emergency kit for around $5 as well that has the glue, pain reliever, and a little box to keep the crown in. I'm gonna buy it tomorrow (grocery day) and I'll paste the name of the kit and maybe a picture so you guys might could find it.