Author Topic: Dental Emergency Preps  (Read 29423 times)

whitewave

Re: Dental Emergency Preps
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »
I asked a dentist about this and he said that you could use a cotton ball (or presumably some equivalent) to thoroughly dry the tooth and fill the hole with super glue.  Yes, that's right, superglue.  He said you had to be careful, of course, not to swallow it and make sure your mouth stayed dry (fill areas around tooth with cotton balls).  He said this would hold for no longer than one week but could be used in an emergency. 

There are also some herbal helps for dental problems. 
Balsam of Peru treats dry socket
Witch hazel decreases inflammation and irritation (the plant, not the astringent you buy at the store)
Allspice is an analgesic for tooth pain
Cloves is for toothache
Yarrow slows plaque formation and decreases gingivitis
Chitosin treats peridontits
Peppermint for a mouthwash
Bloodroot for antiplaque
Cranberry for peridontal disease
Guggul for gingivitis, pyorrhea, mouth ulcers
Elderberry or anise for toothaches
Castor for abscesses (not recommended unless you're an herbalist and know what you're dealing with)
Chaparral used as a mouthwash helps prevent tooth decay
Mallow for babies teething pain
Marigold decreases swelling of oral, pharyngeal mucosa
Caroline thistle for toothaches
Jamaican dogwood for dental pain
Celandine for toothaches, tooth extractions
Karaya gum can be used as a denture adhesive
Gotu Kola for peridontal disease

Glad to see this mentioned.  With all the wealth of information there is on preparedness, dental hygiene is one subject that is sorely lacking in useful information for the survivalist.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
Just a quick follow up:

I didn't get the dental kit yet (we got groceries at Wal Mart this week instead of the local chain). I am having some second thoughts on using something like that though, unless it was a serious SHTF scenario. My dentist said you have to be very careful to get all the old glue removed and be very sure you've got the crown where you want it to be before gluing it. He said that if it's wrong, it makes their job a lot harder getting it off to put it back on right. I would say they just wanted the $$ for the service, but there was no charge to put it back on, since he was the one that put it on last time.

The bottom line is I may still get one for my preps (like I said, they're only about $5), but if a dentist is available, that'll probably be mt first choice. Unless you just want to practice, which I don't, not on my mouth anyway ;D

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 01:24:08 PM »
I asked a dentist about this and he said that you could use a cotton ball (or presumably some equivalent) to thoroughly dry the tooth and fill the hole with super glue.  Yes, that's right, superglue.  He said you had to be careful, of course, not to swallow it and make sure your mouth stayed dry (fill areas around tooth with cotton balls).  He said this would hold for no longer than one week but could be used in an emergency. 

Glad to see this mentioned.  With all the wealth of information there is on preparedness, dental hygiene is one subject that is sorely lacking in useful information for the survivalist.

Whitewave, good to have you on board and +1 for a kickass post!  Great stuff and your right, you can have every other prep squared away, but a dental emergency if rarely planed for and can be a show stopper.

Great post, thanks.

Berserker Prime

whitewave

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
A dentist is my first choice too but in a sit x, I doubt there will be a lot of dentists joining survival groups.  (Hopefully I'm wrong about that one).  Anyway, if there's nobody around to fix the problem and you're on you're own, those things mentioned will work.  If and when civilization returns to the point where I can sit comfortably in a dentist's chair with a mouthful of Novocaine, then I'll apologize to him/her for all the extra work they have to do to get whatever bit of superglue remains in my cavity. 

I've gotten all my dental needs taken care of in the past year to prepare for sit x.  I don't want to have to resort to "emergency dentistry".  I've SEEN the movie Cast Away.  *shudders*  I keep 2 of those Wal-Mart dental kits in my BOB.  I'm not taking any chances!

Thanks for the welcome and kudos, Berserker Prime. 

Sandman

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
About 5 years ago I had a tooth that went real bad. I had just got myself off the streets and was living on top romen so the cash to get it fixed was out of the question. After a week of constent mind numbing pain I had to do some thing. So a Friend who is a vet told me that if I went to a tack and feed store one could find and buy antibiotics for farm animals with no Rx needed and that it was the same stuff that people use but seance it was not inspected by the FDA it was dirt cheap. It took me 3 days of screaming pain to cut/pull/push and pry out all of the tooth with no pain reliever. While the experience sucked it did teach me a few things. First given no other option one can endure and over come a lot of pain(yes I cryed yes I passed out more than once but I got through it :)). Now I keep a stock of basic first aid meds if I had taken antibiotics sooner it would not have been so bad. Just a warning be for you go ruining out to a tack and feed store when you do this do some research not all of the stuff their is fit for people and you will have to make some adjustments to dosing because you do not weight the same as a horse.
Not advice, but I've heard somewhere that the dosages for pigs are similar to those of humans.

And all drug stores that I've visited carry the emergency dental filling kits. In them, you will find Eugenal, which is a fancy name for Clove Oil.

Personally, I find Clove Oil to be better than Ambusol for temp pain relief, and it is natural too. Careful though, you must respect Clove Oil as it is some potent stuff! Don't get it in your eyes!

They say the dental filling kits are temporary only, and that you should still see a dentist soon afterward. And I just read that Clove Oil causes necrosis in the dentin if applied onto it, so it sounds like there's some truth to that recommendation.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
Good information there Sandman!

BP

Offline caseypod

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:12 AM »
I have had a few dental emergencies and if there were no dentist available I would have been in some serious trouble. I like the information that has been presented here. Even some temporary dental fixes could be critical to survival. People used to die from abscesses and such before modern dentistry.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »
Some items I bought for my supplies:

Maximum Strength Toothache Relief
http://www.dentek.com/shop.php?target=products&product_id=11

Dental First Aid Kit
http://www.dentek.com/shop.php?target=products&product_id=3

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »
I have had a few dental emergencies and if there were no dentist available I would have been in some serious trouble. I like the information that has been presented here. Even some temporary dental fixes could be critical to survival. People used to die from abscesses and such before modern dentistry.

My wife had an abscess a while ago.  It came on at 2100 and by 2330 the pain was insane for her.  I was driving all over Albuquerque NM at midnight trying to fine pain reliever and that only made it livible.  Had we been in a SHTF scenario or worse or miles away from now where, we would have been screwed!  It really got my attention.

BP

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 10:46:25 AM »
My wife had an abscess a while ago.  It came on at 2100 and by 2330 the pain was insane for her.  I was driving all over Albuquerque NM at midnight trying to fine pain reliever and that only made it livible.  Had we been in a SHTF scenario or worse or miles away from now where, we would have been screwed!  It really got my attention.

Thanks for sharing that BP. Good to know what other people have lived through so we can better prepare for something similar.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »
This is a great thread.
I'm experiencing a lot of this right now. I've got a toothache that makes me want to bash my face in with a brick.
Until I can gather the cash to see the dentist, I'm using a paste made up of clove oil and baking soda. Not exactly tasty, but it does seem to relieve the pain a bit.
I can only imagine what it would be like to have an even serious dental condition after SHTF,
it would make the scene from "Castaway" seem all too real.
(For those of you who haven't seen that movie, Tom Hanks does his own dental work with an ice skate)

Sandman

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
This is a great thread.
I'm experiencing a lot of this right now. I've got a toothache that makes me want to bash my face in with a brick.
Until I can gather the cash to see the dentist, I'm using a paste made up of clove oil and baking soda. Not exactly tasty, but it does seem to relieve the pain a bit.
I can only imagine what it would be like to have an even serious dental condition after SHTF,
it would make the scene from "Castaway" seem all too real.
(For those of you who haven't seen that movie, Tom Hanks does his own dental work with an ice skate)
I feel ya, Patriot. I had one of those last year. I got over it with liberal use of Clove Oil, Hydrogen Peroxide mouth washings & gargles, salt water mouth washings & gargles, and zinc/water solution mouth washings & gargles. Use zinc last. It tastes funny, but hangs around in your mouth to kill germs long after you've used it.

(Zycam is also zinc-based, and over-priced, just don't put it up your nose if you value your long-term sense of smell, according to new research, yada-yada.)

Until you can get to a dentist, other than pulling the tooth, the book "Where There Is No Dentist" ( Where There is No Dentist - Murray Dickson ) on page 87 suggests treating with Penicillin, among other things.

And you know where to find cheap antibiotics...

Ever consider a Dental School patient program? They are on the cheap. YMMV

- Sandman

Disclaimer: I'm not a dentist nor a doctor, neither will I dispense dental or medical advice. For informational purposes only.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the zinc wash. I'll add that to the procedure.  ;D

Offline PrepNow

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »
Twice now I've had major tooth pain and ended up with a root canal in each tooth that had the pain. Both times I was not in a position to see a dentist. A friend of mine is a Dental Assistant and she told me to take 800 milligrams of Motrin and 4 hours later 800 milligrams of Aleeve and keep alternating as needed. Both times I got past the pain long before seeing the dentist, although the pain lasted 3-4 days.

Bottom line: For the most part I had minimal pain doing this. I'd be virtually pain free for about 3 1/2 hours until I took whichever was next to take. Now I keep the generic forms of these handy. Motrin = Ibuprophen  Aleeve = Naproxin

Since the drugs are different, they can be alternated like that. You would not do well taking either one exclusively in those dosages that close together.

walker

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
Twice now I've had major tooth pain and ended up with a root canal in each tooth that had the pain. Both times I was not in a position to see a dentist. A friend of mine is a Dental Assistant and she told me to take 800 milligrams of Motrin and 4 hours later 800 milligrams of Aleeve and keep alternating as needed. Both times I got past the pain long before seeing the dentist, although the pain lasted 3-4 days.

Bottom line: For the most part I had minimal pain doing this. I'd be virtually pain free for about 3 1/2 hours until I took whichever was next to take. Now I keep the generic forms of these handy. Motrin = Ibuprophen  Aleeve = Naproxin

Since the drugs are different, they can be alternated like that. You would not do well taking either one exclusively in those dosages that close together.

Either you are mistaken on the meds she told you, or she gave you very poor advice.  Ibuprofen and Naproxen are both in the NSAID family, Naproxen just takes longer to be eliminated from the body via the kidneys, hence the 12 hour dosage schedule.  You run a significantly higher risk of developing a GI bleed when taking too high a dosage of NSAIDS.  Also, several studies do not show any pain relief difference when taking 600 vs. 800 of Ibuprofen, and I do not know of any done with both Naproxen and Ibuprofen.  What I think she told you, or should have, was to alternate doses of Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen every 4 hours.  Acetaminophen is eliminated via the liver, and Ibuproen the kidneys, and are different drug classes that work on pain in a different manner.

Please, be very careful with either one of these drugs, and be aware of other products that may contain them (vicodin, percocet, vicoprofen, tylenol PM, some cold medicines, etc.)  I have not only taken care of numerous adults and kids who took too much, but also have had a friend who almost needed a liver transplant from combining high doses of Acetaminophen with booze.  NEVER take medicines unless you have done your homework on the details of when not to take them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:21:51 AM by Archer »

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 09:01:35 AM »
Just to let you all know, I had a crown fall off. The dentist did not put in a post, just tried to cement it in. Obvioulsy, it fell out. I tried the Temparin temporary stuff. It totally does not work to hold a crown on. I don't know if it would work for the temporary filling of a tooth, but it does not work at all for holding on a crown. Also, if you are having a toothache due to abcess, take echinacea and clove oil (temporarily for the clove oil). That is what I did for when my tooth got infected before the crown. I was on antibiotics that did not get rid of it, tried the echinacea and it worked like a charm.
I actually tried more than once to get the temparin to hold the tooth in and it never did work.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Thank you mamabear for that information!  Do you think superglue would have done the job?

Also, where did you get the echinacea and what is it?

BP

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2009, 01:01:16 AM »
Thank you mamabear for that information!  Do you think superglue would have done the job?

Also, where did you get the echinacea and what is it?

BP

Echinacea is an herb, you can get it in powered form or in a capsule at most food stores (at least down here) in the vitamin section. It helps the immune system stay healthy from what I've read. 

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 03:38:10 AM »
Echinacea is an herb, you can get it in powered form or in a capsule at most food stores (at least down here) in the vitamin section. It helps the immune system stay healthy from what I've read. 

Archer, You are the smartest dude I've ever met!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »
Archer, You are the smartest dude I've ever met!
Thanks BP, but if I was... I'd have more time to sleep..

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
As Archer stated is an herb. I can find it in virtually any store here. I usually get it at stores like CVS and Walgreens to take advantage of BOGO sales and coupons that I get. It is used to support your immunity. It boosts your own body's immune system. The herb itself does not fight off infection, it increases your body's immune system so you can fight off infection. Although an echinacea/goldenseal complex may be a better option next time I buy some. I also planned on growing my own plants and making a tincture, but the guy that mows my lawn keeps mowing my plants down. I think they died now. I will have to replant this fall or next year.
I don't know if superglue would have worked or not. I have some crazy glue, maybe I should try that....

Offline akdentist

• Survivor
  • One man with courage is a majority - Jefferson
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2009, 02:26:26 PM »
The best prep for dental emergencies is to not have them.  With the exception of trauma, all dental disease is 100% completely preventable.  Stay away from refined carbohydrates [sugar, corn syrup, white bread, crackers, etc].  Drink water.  No soda [even the diet stuff is very acidic].  Brush and floss regularly and see your dentist regularly. 

For OTC pain relief, I like 800mg Ibuprofen every 8 hours and 1000 mg Tylenol every 8 hours - alternating in 4 hour increments.  I am not a fan of narcotics as they numb the mind and do nothing for the pain other than make you not care. 

Smoking and alcohol contribute to gum disease.  Carbohydrates contribute to tooth decay.  Most of the emergencies that I see are from total neglect - only about 1% are the result of trauma [breaking a tooth on some bone fragment in meat or a run away 2x4 or a fall]. 

I don't recommend people extract their own teeth - if you break it off without getting the roots out, you are in for a world of hurt and a likely infection.  And the comments about people dying from dental infections is very true in the 3rd world and even in this country prior to 1800. 

Cheers!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2009, 02:38:04 PM »
Thanks for that input AKdentist!  What about the effects of beer on dental hygene ;D? Wait!  Don't answer that! 

I originally started this post as a result of my wife's bout with an abscess.  She takes very good care of her teeth, but was not blessed with the trouble free kind.  Yesterday she went in for her 6 month appointment and the dental tech found another abscess!  This one didn't hurt, but potential is high that it would have got very painful at the worst possible time.  Thank god they caught it and that we are faithful in doing our 6 month cleanings and inspections! 

Any idea how to avoid these abscesses? 

BP

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
The best prep for dental emergencies is to not have them.  With the exception of trauma, all dental disease is 100% completely preventable.  Stay away from refined carbohydrates [sugar, corn syrup, white bread, crackers, etc].  Drink water.  No soda [even the diet stuff is very acidic].  Brush and floss regularly and see your dentist regularly.  

Cheers!

While I agree with everything else you said, I must respectfully disagree with this one. I am one of those unlucky gals that being preggers was he!! on my body. I spent virtually the whole time throwing up. I did not have any dental problems before being preggers. After being so sick, not getting a lot of nutrients - such as calcium, the acid from throwing up, etc, even while brushing my teeth, I needed dental work on pretty much every tooth I had. A couple had to come out because the damage was so bad. I have had almost every tooth repaired in some fashion. Now the dental work is failing with crowns falling out, teeth breaking around the fillings the dentists put in, and just general issues with the dental work done. Unfortunately, I cannot afford right now to get any more dental work done. I was hoping to avoid it, but think that I will just have to get some teeth pulled (by a dentist-I have no desire to even try to pull my own teeth) due to them breaking. I am not getting any infections in them or in my gums, but don't want them to get infected down the road.

Offline akdentist

• Survivor
  • One man with courage is a majority - Jefferson
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »
While I agree with everything else you said, I must respectfully disagree with this one. I am one of those unlucky gals that being preggers was he!! on my body. I spent virtually the whole time throwing up. I did not have any dental problems before being preggers. After being so sick, not getting a lot of nutrients - such as calcium, the acid from throwing up, etc, even while brushing my teeth, I needed dental work on pretty much every tooth I had. A couple had to come out because the damage was so bad. I have had almost every tooth repaired in some fashion. Now the dental work is failing with crowns falling out, teeth breaking around the fillings the dentists put in, and just general issues with the dental work done. Unfortunately, I cannot afford right now to get any more dental work done. I was hoping to avoid it, but think that I will just have to get some teeth pulled (by a dentist-I have no desire to even try to pull my own teeth) due to them breaking. I am not getting any infections in them or in my gums, but don't want them to get infected down the road.

So sorry to hear of this.  However, your story could have had a different outcome.  Perhaps posting here will spare others your misfortune. 

First, calcium intake after teeth are fully developed will have little effect on the condition of teeth - this is a huge misconception.  Teeth are not bones and once they are erupted and fully formed, they are not self regenerative.  If you break a bone, it is repaired enough to use within 6-12 weeks and within 12 months the fracture won't show up on x-rays - the body regenerates bone.  Not so with teeth.  My point is that your lack of nutrition did not weaken your teeth.

The acid from your stomach has a pH of 1 - very acidic.  Anything lower than a pH of 5.5 will dissolve enamel.  Most soda, even diet, fits into this category and Mt. Dew has a pH of 3.3 - very good for business.  A few simple precautions would have protected your teeth from the stomach acids.  One, you could have rinsed with baking soda to neutralize the acid after vomiting.  Next, your dentist could have made remineralization trays for your teeth that could have been placed right before vomiting so that the acids did not have direct contact with your teeth and also could have been used daily with some remineralizing gels to reinforce your teeth.  These trays and the gels cost about as much as couple of small fillings. 

One thing that people do right after vomiting is to brush your teeth.  While the nasty taste in your mouth might make you rush for the tooth brush, I would urge you to wait until you have rinsed with something to neutralize the acid first.  Brushing right after vomiting will only cause more of the enamel to be stripped away as it has been weakened by the stomach acids.

Pregnancy does play hell with your hormones and the mouth is very susceptible to those hormone shifts.  I recommend pregnant people see their dentist each trimester for exam and cleaning [x-rays only if something is a potential problem]. 

Cheers

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
sure wish someone would have told me all of that 10 years ago!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 09:04:14 PM »
Great addition to the post AKdentist and Mamabear!  I don't think a thread yet exists that deals with pregnancy as it relates to preparedness and health.  Mamabear, you may consider starting one in medical as your experience would be very helpful....just a thought.

BP

Offline DrBob

• Prepper
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
A number of items have been addressed very well. I'd like to wade in and fill in a few gaps.

"ebonearth" and "sandman" both brought up  clove oil. An earlier post mentioned Ambesol. Ambesol is one of the older products on the market for temporary dental pain and one of the least recommended by dentists. Folks just rub it on the gums and wait for it to make their abscess go away. Not going to happen!! Ambesol is only a topical anesthetic. It will never make an abscess go away. (Neither will echinacea. More later.) Probably the best use of Ambesol is for cancer sores. If you have a hole in the tooth, and the tooth is hurting, put the clove oil on a cotton pellet (which you can make by pulling cotton from a Q Tip or the cotton balls women use for the skin care) and put the pellet in the hole. This will give some TEMPORARY relief. This actually has a better numbing effect than crushed aspirin. (More on this item later).

If the tooth is actually abscessed, the only permanent remedy is tooth removal or having a dentist perform a root canal procedure. Either solution involves antibiotic therapy. I do not recommend the procedure described by Gun1313. That requires brass cajones and a liberal supply of Jose Quervo and insanity. Two days of antibiotics will not do!!!

The use of controlled substances has already been addressed enough. For OTC (over the counter) pain meds, see the posts of "scrubs" on 07/20/09 or akdentist on 08/27/09. I cannot improve on these. They are actually quite good.

"HumeMan" presented a link for an online source for an emergency dental kit. I went there and could not tell exactly what the kit contained, but I expect that it is very similar to the kits I have seen available from CVS and Walgreen's for the same money. Recently I went to these drugstores to see what was available. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are now many more dental emergency kit options available than there were just five years ago. They are in the 4 to 5 dollar range. I would recommend we all have at least one in our B.O.B.

I want to go back address the echinacea. While I am a firm believer in using this herb for boosting immune response, and improving resistance to colds and flus, it is actually of little value in getting rid of a dental abscess. Another one of those ... "not going to happen" ... items. Now for the person who takes antibiotics for a few days, notices no improvement, then switches to echinacea for a couple of days and feels better, then attributes the improvement to echinacea ... here is the reason. You don't "feel" the improvement from antibiotics the first couple of days. The actual bacterial count is being significantly reduced, but you don't actually "feel" the improvement until the third day. Either way, the relief is still TEMPORARY!! The infection is not gone, it is simply reduced to a manageable level.

There are a few more points I want to address to offer info to forum members. However, it is getting late, so I will post more later.
DrBob
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:59:30 AM by Archer »

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »
That was awsome information DrBob!  Thanks for clearifying those points for us. 

v/r BP

Sandman

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »
Thanks for your input, DrBob. That's some great advice! I fear many survivalists tend to overlook dental health. I keep a couple of those dental emergency kits around, but I need to get another for my vehicle first aid kit.

Question: I often hear laypeople giving advice that any serious toothache needs a trip to the dentist as it can develop into a 'life-threatening' situation. I'm sure this is true at some point, I'm just not sure where that point is. Can you shed some light on the question of what to do when you are either quite a ways away from any dental clinics deep out in the bush, or perhaps you are just too destitute to consider going to a dentist unless you felt like you were dying?

What signs and symptoms would alert a first responder to make the decision to drag the patient out of the bush for an emergency dental trip? I'm assuming some visible abscesses can be lanced, drained & disinfected. And the book "Where There is No Dentist" shows how to safely pull teeth. But I wouldn't assume there would be antibiotics available in the field.

Thanks.