Author Topic: How to Make a Squirrel Box  (Read 3577 times)

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
How to Make a Squirrel Box
« on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
When I started trapping squirrels, I had problems with non target species triggering my traps and stealing bait. When I used 110 conibears and exposed bait, I had trouble with birds landing on top of the trap and setting them off. When I nailed rat traps to trees and baited them with peanut butter, I had trouble with coons and possums triggering the trap.

I decided to go to a weasel box and modify it to use with squirrels. Along the way I tried to simplify things as much as possible, and I also decided to modify the standard Victor rat trap to be more effective. Here’s what I do and how I do it:

http://meattrapper.com/2013/05/26/how-to-make-a-squirrel-box/

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
Re: How to Make a Squirrel Box
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
Pretty neat concept. 

I watched a couple of your YouTube videos, very educational.  I picked up your video on your site and am about a third of the way through it now.  I have to check my laws, to see what I can trap in Louisiana and may get started. 

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »
And to think, my first thought when reading the thread title was "Well, first you get some squirrels, you lacquer them up till their stiff, then you get a few nails and..."  :o

... I think I may need to some help...

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »
And to think, my first thought when reading the thread title was "Well, first you get some squirrels, you lacquer them up till their stiff, then you get a few nails and..."  :o

... I think I may need to some help...
:rofl:

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
Pretty neat concept. 

I watched a couple of your YouTube videos, very educational.  I picked up your video on your site and am about a third of the way through it now.  I have to check my laws, to see what I can trap in Louisiana and may get started.

Thank you very much. You are blessed to live in Louisiana. Louisiana is the most trapper friendly State in the union. I have a cousin in Shreveport. I grew up in Mobile and spent a lot of time in Louisiana. Great people, great food. Every technique in my video is legal in Louisiana.

If you have any questions, or if I can help you in any way whatsoever just let me know. I really mean that.

Offline Deping

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:58:08 AM »
I use hardware cloth on the back. I believe that they will more readily enter a box that they can see out of - like it's a tunnel rather than a box.