Author Topic: Neighbor's weed-bushes growing through chain link fence  (Read 2490 times)

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Neighbor's weed-bushes growing through chain link fence
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
I want to expand my garden in a 10' wide section adjacent to my neighbor's property line, but they have a row of bushes overgrown with weeds invading through the short chain-link fence that separates our property.  We've discussed it and she's willing to allow my to do anything to curtail it or modify the fence, but wants to keep the bushes, even though they're crappy looking -- better than nothing for her, I guess.  I don't want to go nuts with Round Up for many reasons.  Is there something less destructive I can spray on the branches and brambles coming through the fence to "train" them to grow the other way?  I can put a row of grow bags or pots or a long skinny table of seedlings here but they'll get invaded by the weeds unless I can block them.  Help!  Thanks.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Neighbor's weed-bushes growing through chain link fence
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »

If you  have the time, how about taking a cutting to your county agriculture agent for identification of the plant & recommended control measures?

Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Hedge trimmers... it will cause the lanky limbs to bush out and not keep growing laterally. You may only have to do it 1-2x a year. I like the extension office idea, but in all honesty, a garden center might be able to tell you better these days, especially if it is an ornamental.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
Thanks, good ideas.  I've chopped them before but they invade pretty quickly.  I may slap some plywood on it (20 feet).

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
how about use it as chop and drop matter for compost? 
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Emiliano Zapata

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Just a dude
    • Walt's Workshop
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:43:12 AM »
Cardboard? I know there are mixed feelings but it chokes out most problems.
The Universe is infinite so not only is there another earth, there are infinite other earths and every possibility is happening simultaneously. How about we make this earth the best?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »
I think, if it were me, instead of trying to manage the neighbor's weeds, I'd just put a short length of wooden fence on my side to block it out.  Chop off anything that's sticking through your side so you can put your fence as close as possible to the chain-link one.  It doesn't have to be a six-foot privacy fence, it can be the same height as the existing fence, but a solid wood barrier is a lot harder for stuff to come through!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
Wooden fence might not do it.  My neighbor has a 6 foot privacy fence, and his poison ivy has no problems coming through.  I can get rid of it on my side but it'll keep coming back as long as he doesn't get rid of his. 

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
Lol my mind went the complete opposite direction when I read the topic title.  :o

Online Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
Lol my mind went the complete opposite direction when I read the topic title.  :o

Yeah. I was thinking the neighbor was growing pot.  :-*
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
Lol! Yup. I was thinking opportunity rather than problem!

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »
I was thinking of doing the opposite and planting a bunch of nasty thorn bushes along the fence between my house and my neighbors for the express purpose of growing through the fence and keeping their A-hole Pit Bull at bay.

Interesting read!
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
I was thinking of doing the opposite and planting a bunch of nasty thorn bushes along the fence between my house and my neighbors for the express purpose of growing through the fence and keeping their A-hole Pit Bull at bay.

Interesting read!

I suppose you could plant gooseberries and blackberries together and get a food yield out of it as well.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
AWESOME idea. I probably won't be living there long enough to really get to that, but if I were to plant something thorny I would surely want something edible out of it.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Just a dude
    • Walt's Workshop
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
I'm moving raspberry plants to my brother and sister in law's house to be a barricade to a walking path at the back of the yard. Any of the invasive berries with thorns will work really well. Currents can work well too. I've heard bamboo will do this but I live in zone 4...
The Universe is infinite so not only is there another earth, there are infinite other earths and every possibility is happening simultaneously. How about we make this earth the best?