Author Topic: 9mm first timer  (Read 4971 times)

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
9mm first timer
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
I recently got access to a single stage press, some bullets, cases, and primers for 9mm. My question is simple- what powder(s) is a good one to start with? If I thought the top 2 would be in stock locally, I wouldn't ask. But I have a feeling I'm going to need to know a lot of different potential powders. . . Thanks all!

nelson96

Re: 9mm first timer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
Instead of offering a direct answer to your question, I would suggest buying a reloading manual for your bullet of choice.  Or any manual will do.  You'll need one anyway so that you know what charge to use and some powders are specific to the weight of the bullet (one powder may be okay for all and some may not).

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
yup, nelson is dead on. get a manual first and read up on what you want to do. i've been researching presses and want to take the leap, but in the mean time of no money or scarce supply i've been reading and learning. reloading is one of those things you want to go right every time.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
Knowledge is a good thing to have but in this day of computers it does not necessarily have to come from a "manual".

Every manufacturer has online data for their powders and you can research each and every one and try all of them and attempt to keep up with the renaming, relabeling and brand new powders as they come out and chase today's favorite to the ends of the earth.

Or you can ask, just as you did.

I built my first 9mm reload in 1969 and have been making them constantly since then.  Along the way I have accumulated dies and bullet molds to reload about 30 calibers, give or take.

As a survivalist if you look at the manuals everyone is advising, and you have more than one pistol, you should not be looking for the best 9mm powder, you should be looking for the powder that will work best in any or all of your pistols.  You might also want it to have good performance in shotgun shells ad even in light rifle loads.

My preference is Unique.  It is not the best in any of my pistols, but it is the best for all of them.  I can get good performance in anything from .32 acp to .44 mag over the entire bullet weight range from that one powder, and every one of the commercial manuals has extensive data for that 100 year old powder formula.

It also makes a good shotgun shell.

I just wish rifles were that easy!

That is just my opinion, take it or leave it.  And if you only have the one caliber to deal with you might find a single use powder that is better for your needs.

I just know that I am glad to have a stock of Unique in the present time with the supply chain in the condition it is.  You may find that you have only one choice, the powder they happen to have when you order!  My regular supplier has been sold out for months and several of the primer manufacturers are diverting every primer to fill ammo orders.

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:27:13 AM »
Thanks guys!

I know you're right about a manual, but I wanted to get a possible short list for visiting the shop. I plan on reloading 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, .223, .270, and .308. I don't have all of those guns, but I hope to reload for friends in the future. The only powder I have is Hodgdon 4831SC for my .270 and it works like a dream.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:41:46 AM »
Something I have seen in stock lately, and all the reloaders I know who have used it and love it, is Power Pistol.

I think it is fairly new but already has it's following.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
I have been trying to get some more unique for a few months now.  Hard to find.

Offline raphterman

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
I started reloading 9mm this year and got hold of a can of Hodgdon HS-6 from Sportman's Warehouse.  It covers a good range from 115 and 124gr FMJ/plated and up to 147gr Hornady XTPs.  I don't know how the velocities compare to other powders, but for targets and ranges less than 20' it's faster than I can throw them.  I've heard good things about Unique too but can't find it around my parts in Colorado Springs.

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the input guys- keep it comin'!

I'm gonna hit the shop tomorrow and see what they have.

And just when it was all coming together so perfectly, the dies I was counting on are no longer available! Guess that's how it goes. Now I get to walk into a store and get laughed at when I ask for common handgun dies. Yay.

Offline raphterman

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
As for the dies, find one that says it comes with a taper crimp die vs a roll crimp.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of 9mm bullets with cannelures.  My wife got me the Hornady Titanium Nitride set #546515 for Christmas and I didn't know it came with a roll crimp build into the seater die.   Lee makes a separate taper die for around $10- (Midway). 

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
My press came with an open jug of Winchester 231 which worked OK.  Couldn't find anything for the longest time and had to settle on Accurate No. 2.  Haven't made it to the range yet with those loads.  Good luck.

Offline raveneye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
I just started reloading over the winter and have only done 9mm so far, with hopes of getting 223 and 380 going soon.

I found these at Cabela's:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hobbies/Books-Calendars/Shooting-Self-Defense%7C/pc/104799780/c/104707980/sc/105549480/Loadbooks-USA-CaliberGauge-Specific-Reloading-Manuals/704597.uts
They are booklets for about $7 each that contain loading data for one specific caliber from many different sources.  For example, the 9mm booklet had load data from Hornady, Sierra, Lee, Winchester, RCBS, Alliant, and several others all in one place.

As for powers, I have tried Power Pistol (because Hornady recommended it) and Winchester AutoComp (because I could find it).
Power Pistol is a slower burning power which allows you to put more in and get higher velocities without pushing chamber pressures too high.  I did not like it as the muzzle flash was obnoxious at an indoor range, even at softer loadings.  For daytime outdoor use, it might be fine.
AutoComp seemed to work fine and I have switched over to using it.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
Here's one place online with mfg info. I'd still only use that as a starting point and look for signs of pressure as you go.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp