Author Topic: 299 Days: The 17th Irregulars (Book Six) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]  (Read 26806 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
I bought this today at 6:30am.  Was not expecting until 6/10/13.  I read about 10% on my iPhone on the bus.  I'll finish up on my Kindle and give a full review when done.

Apparently we're transported into a sort of civil war at the start of the book.  I just finished the scene at the power company and have a few questions about the actions taken my Tammy and her co-workers.  I'll give the audience some time to catch up and not spoil right now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:34:12 AM by smurf hunter »

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
I bought this today at 6:30am.  Was not expecting until 6/10/13.

Thanks smurf hunter!  I ordered the paperback immediately.  Now I just have to wait  :impatient:

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
So far, so good...privateers? Pirates?

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
Just added to the Kindle!  Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

It also looks to be longer than the other books which is very nice!

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Read a little over half.  Diggin it so far.

When Glen's done with these 10 books he needs to write (or co-write or franchise) some other series from the perspective of other regions like New England, Texas, the Midwest, etc.  I could see this being a collection of series.

Offline Mark54

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I realize that asking about this book here is akin to asking the Choir if one should read the bible....but....

I've read the first 5 and generally found diminishing returns for the relatively high price of this series.  I'm at a point where I'd like to hear some balanced reviews before deciding if I want to invest to further read this series.  If you will, tell me about it, how many pages was this "chapter"?  Was the story compelling or more an instrument of Heavy's political leanings?  Did the story move forward in a compelling way?  How would you rate this book against the previous book in order of preference?  Is the character development of the central characters continuing to grow? 

Thanks to all of offer their opins on this release.

Mark

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
I realize that asking about this book here is akin to asking the Choir if one should read the bible....but....

I've read the first 5 and generally found diminishing returns for the relatively high price of this series.  I'm at a point where I'd like to hear some balanced reviews before deciding if I want to invest to further read this series.  If you will, tell me about it, how many pages was this "chapter"?  Was the story compelling or more an instrument of Heavy's political leanings?  Did the story move forward in a compelling way?  How would you rate this book against the previous book in order of preference?  Is the character development of the central characters continuing to grow? 

Thanks to all of offer their opins on this release.

Mark

I'm only half way through so take this for what it is:

I have it on Kindle and its 6680 locations if that helps.  Not sure how it translates into pages.  Its also cheaper and lasts longer than going to the movies. I don't find it to be a bad deal.

The whole premise is based on different ideologies so its going to have political leanings.  After all, its the politics that created the situation in the first place; you can't ignore the elephant in the room. 

Its getting more interesting because the armed resistance is starting.  I could see the situation moving in about a dozen directions in reality, but the path it takes is probably one of several that are more probable.  My only storyline critique up to the half way point of this book  is that there's usually outside countries trying to influence the outcomes of wars like this and I haven't seen that interjected yet.  Outside of that it seems fairly possible, which is what intrigues me about it.  It's not completely out there and crazy like others in the genre.

All of the definitions and explanations that are injected make it feel like a text book at times and should be footnoted if the editor still felt they were necessary.  I feel like the author is trying to teach rather than entertain, and I think that influences how it reads.  I believe his purpose is to try and open peoples' eyes and so he doesn't use all of the literary tricks at this disposal, providing too much explanation of things (from a purely entertainment perspective). 

And if I hear about 5.11 pants or how they look like contractors again...anyway, we get it.  Maybe Heavy G gets a commission from 5.11? LOL J/K

Still, he manages to somehow make the Gun Dudes seem cool.  That's a literary feat in and of itself, LOL.

All in all I think its worth the money, and I really enjoy reading it.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
I'm also just over 1/2 done. 

Good:
writing is improving, both grammatically and the narrative
the sub-plots are coming to fruition, lots of turning points
the ideologies are explained better than in previous books
more content = better value

Bad:
I still lack empathy for most of the characters.
Wes' girlfriend Kellie sounds like a bimbo, who ditched her previous BF without a respectful breakup.  I won't spoil, but this develops into a small ordeal, filling a chapter
Some stuff is in painful detail (I also don't care how the team dresses), but other things just magically work out.
I would've setup Snelling using some awesome plot twist.  Think ShawShank Redemption,  Count of Monte Cristo, etc.
Basically I don't understand why some problems need to be delicately handled, while others are dealt with brute force.

Suggestion:
A little more reference to history might have enriched a couple areas.  For example, When Joe gets solicited as a private bank security firm - it reminded me of the Pinkertons in the old west.  I was totally thinking of the parallels to that time.  Frankly I was surprised it wasn't mentioned.  The George Washington stuff was good, but do more from different periods in history.

• Survivalist Mentor
Good book and either it is noticeably longer than the first five or I've just been busier during the time I was reading it.

If a civil war were to be fought in Libertarian/Statist lines and the government had largely fallen apart. This series is a reasonable extrapolation of that idea. I hope and pray it is an accurate one. I'm mostly talking about how well the bulk of the military chooses to honor their oath.

The Snelling arc makes me think of how we have not only militarized our law enforcement but tied our own hands behind our back by applying law enforcement principals to war. War is war, the best way to handle some things is direct and brutal.

I'm looking forward to the next book.

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
I finished up the book last night and man it really leaves you hanging for book 7... Come on Glen, get that thing written and released!

Overall it was very good.  I agree that by now we know they wear 5.11 pants and look like contractors, I would assume that would be ending since the idea behind that was to build up that the characters have left their pre-collapse lives behind and are now fully integrated in the 17th Irregulars.

I do like that book 6 was longer than the others.  Definitely made you feel you were getting a better value.  Still at the end of the series, I don't know that I would have paid over $100 for the story.

Good read though, keep it coming!

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
 :banghead:

Still waiting for the paperback I ordered from Amazon....  Shipping estimate is Tuesday 6/18.

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
I have the same problem.  Amazon is showing "shipping Soon" as the order status.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Woo Hoo! :happydance:

USPS delivered my Amazon box about 20 minutes ago!  I'll be on lockdown and "radio silence" for the next 18 to 24 hours until I finish reading it.  Good thing I'm on vacation....

When is book 7 coming out?

• Survivalist Mentor
When is book 7 coming out?
That's the only question I have.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Question for the tactical folks:

Is it "Lima" as in Peru or "Lima" as in beans?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
First of all, am I the only "girl" reading this series?

I like seeing the collapse from the point of view of characters that are not in Pierce Point.  Seattle, Olympia, Camp Murray/Fort Lewis, Forks and Prosser Farm.  I agree that the grammar and spelling are getting better.  I'm still frustrated by the constant change of point of view.  That is a HUGE distraction for me.  I feel like my head is on a swivel!

I would've setup Snelling using some awesome plot twist.  Think ShawShank Redemption,  Count of Monte Cristo, etc.
Basically I don't understand why some problems need to be delicately handled, while others are dealt with brute force.
Exactly.  I was expecting Snelling to have some tragic "accident" to cover their tracks a little better.  Although the assassination quickly got rid of the wife and the friend. 

And if I hear about 5.11 pants or how they look like contractors again...anyway, we get it.  Maybe Heavy G gets a commission from 5.11? LOL J/K
I thought it was just me! ;)

I am enjoying the series and will hang in there until the end.  As for the criticisms about the price, I've thought a lot about this.  I have limited funds and rarely buy fiction books (Hello - public library)  But I've decided that, for me, it's worth it.  I spent about 5 hours reading this book last night and the book cost me about $12.00.  I rarely go to the movies but when I do, it cost me about $6.00 and 2 hours of my time.  Two movies is $12.00 and 4 hours of my time.  I spent the same amount of money but have a paperback book that I can re-read or pass on to friends or re-sell later and get some of my money back.  I've learned a lot about prepping and this series helps me visualize a reasonably plausible scenario for the upcoming economic collapse.  The last two movies I saw were fun but I won't get any return on my money and I really didn't learn anything.  (Although Chris Pine in Star Trek sure was pretty to look at on the big screen  ::))

Plus I get to support someone who is doing something positive to spread the message of preparedness.  Thanks Heavy G!

:knitting:  That's me waiting for book 7.....

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
I'm a girl and I'm reading too:) I also like hearing how things are going outside of Pierce Point. I'm not set up on a defensible island so I really like knowing what is going on out at the farm. It more closely parallels my situation.

Offline Grannywhiskers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I have read the book and loved it.  Much longer than the other books.  Now, when is the next book due out?

• Survivalist Mentor
I'm a girl and I'm reading too:) I also like hearing how things are going outside of Pierce Point. I'm not set up on a defensible island so I really like knowing what is going on out at the farm. It more closely parallels my situation.
Me too! My self reliance position is great and only needs work from me. My tactical position is not so great.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Thanks for starting this thread, smurfhunter.

Glad to see so many people reading the series.

Book Six is my second favorite book, next to Book One. 

Book Seven will be smokin'.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
All right, the most popular question: when's the next book??

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: 299 Days: The 17th Irregulars (Book Six) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
First of all, am I the only "girl" reading this series?

I like seeing the collapse from the point of view of characters that are not in Pierce Point.  Seattle, Olympia, Camp Murray/Fort Lewis, Forks and Prosser Farm.  I agree that the grammar and spelling are getting better.  I'm still frustrated by the constant change of point of view.  That is a HUGE distraction for me.  I feel like my head is on a swivel!
Exactly.  I was expecting Snelling to have some tragic "accident" to cover their tracks a little better.  Although the assassination quickly got rid of the wife and the friend. 
I thought it was just me! ;)

I am enjoying the series and will hang in there until the end.  As for the criticisms about the price, I've thought a lot about this.  I have limited funds and rarely buy fiction books (Hello - public library)  But I've decided that, for me, it's worth it.  I spent about 5 hours reading this book last night and the book cost me about $12.00.  I rarely go to the movies but when I do, it cost me about $6.00 and 2 hours of my time.  Two movies is $12.00 and 4 hours of my time.  I spent the same amount of money but have a paperback book that I can re-read or pass on to friends or re-sell later and get some of my money back.  I've learned a lot about prepping and this series helps me visualize a reasonably plausible scenario for the upcoming economic collapse.  The last two movies I saw were fun but I won't get any return on my money and I really didn't learn anything.  (Although Chris Pine in Star Trek sure was pretty to look at on the big screen  ::))

Plus I get to support someone who is doing something positive to spread the message of preparedness.  Thanks Heavy G!

:knitting:  That's me waiting for book 7.....

nope. I have all 6

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
Finally finished Book 6. Great read... leaves me wondering when the battle will start.  But more important, what will happen to Jordan. I got a bad feeling about his future... (see prolog of book 1 "She had seen and done things that no teenage girl should have to experience")

I finished up the book last night and man it really leaves you hanging for book 7... Come on Glen, get that thing written and released!

Yep, I am waiting for the next book.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »
Is there a release date for book 7 yet?

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
Is there a release date for book 7 yet?

to quote facebook
2013-09-06 Glen Tate:
Just so everyone knows, the next books are all written but I need to edit them, the editor needs to edit them, and I'm adding some new chapters. Don't think I brew a pot of coffee, pull an all-nighter, and crank out stuff. Nope. It's all done and just need to be polished.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »
Sure, but... Is there a release date for book 7 yet?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
Sure, but... Is there a release date for book 7 yet?
^^^This!!!

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:30 AM »
Sure hope the collapse doesn't happen before book 7 is released. It's going to be a giant PIA to travel cross country after SHTF to track down Glen and find out how the book ends. ????

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
Sure hope the collapse doesn't happen before book 7 is released. It's going to be a giant PIA to travel cross country after SHTF to track down Glen and find out how the book ends. ????

+1

In theory Pierce Point is within 100 miles from me.   :-X
Though with my luck lately, I would get mistaken for a Lima and be picked off by a sentry.