Author Topic: 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker.... FAIL!  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
28-Pound Portable Ice Maker.... FAIL!
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N6302Q/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000N6302Q&linkCode=as2&tag=knowledgepubc-20

Well, I bought one... Bout to be on my off grid property and wanted more ice.
The bad reviews concerned me, but since Steven Harris recommended it I went ahead.

Got it in today, and it made just under 1/2 a Gal ziplock full of ice before it stopped working.
I already got a return label, and their 'Prime 2 day shipping' apparently does not apply to replacements!

If the 2nd one sucks also I'll just get a refund and look elsewhere.
Anyone else tried them? Any better luck?

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
Re: 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker.... FAIL!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
eeek I just bought the magic chef version of that from walmart.com, apparently one company makes them and brands them like vcrs use to be done and has been turning out ice for three days now. Hoping mine doesn't dump on me.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Chef-Portable-Ice-Maker-MCIM22TW/13308699

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
I was going to buy one, but the reviews I read online weren't too good, so I'm staying away for now. I think Harris is a smart guy, but I'm not crazy about some of his recommendations.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
If you can find one cheap, a commercial ice maker is a nice investment. Few years ago my office got rid of the small one we had in the break room for a bigger unit. I took it home and used it until I moved. 6 years of no troubles.  It made 70'ish pounds of ice a day. I didn't use it all the time but it was nice when I needed it.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
I picked up the Emerson last year when Target had it on sale for around $100.
Lost power for 14 days after Sandy and used it a good amount and it worked well. Used it last week to have some extra ice for a BBQ. I don't use it every day but when I have needed it it has worked well.
Just had to dial in the setting. It works best for me on medium sized cubes.

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
Anyone else tried them? Any better luck?

Not sure of the make and model but my grandmother has one that looks very similar to the one pictured in your link.  She's used it for a couple of years without fail and loves it.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
I was going to buy one, but the reviews I read online weren't too good, so I'm staying away for now. I think Harris is a smart guy, but I'm not crazy about some of his recommendations.

I know what you mean, and I've come very close to getting his ice maker, too.  So far, the only recommendation of his that I'm happy with are the 15 gal blue barrels for gasoline storage.  Hopefully they don't wind up burning my house to the ground.

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:52:23 AM »
If you can find one cheap, a commercial ice maker is a nice investment. Few years ago my office got rid of the small one we had in the break room for a bigger unit. I took it home and used it until I moved. 6 years of no troubles.  It made 70'ish pounds of ice a day. I didn't use it all the time but it was nice when I needed it.

It's not exactly gentle on power thought I'd bet!

I got this one because he said I could run it off the inverter I have in my truck. I travel quite a bit for Insurance adjusting, and sometimes it's to places with no power. I can run my printer/scanner off it, so I can be pretty self contained (Better with my Airstream behind me)

Also, moved the Stream to my off grid property today. Not going to get power out there either, so I need to watch my power useage less I have to run the Geny too much.

I thought me and my friends who listen to the show were the only ones not crazy about S.H. glad to see I'm not just crazy!

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
We ran it for 2 weeks when we got hit by hurricane Ike. Would run the generator only 5 or 6 hours a day to keep freezer/fridge and anything else we needed before we went to sleep. Whatever ice was made was put into a cooler where we kept drinks and anything we used alot so we wouldn't have to open fridge.

It's not exactly gentle on power thought I'd bet!

I got this one because he said I could run it off the inverter I have in my truck. I travel quite a bit for Insurance adjusting, and sometimes it's to places with no power. I can run my printer/scanner off it, so I can be pretty self contained (Better with my Airstream behind me)

Also, moved the Stream to my off grid property today. Not going to get power out there either, so I need to watch my power useage less I have to run the Geny too much.

I thought me and my friends who listen to the show were the only ones not crazy about S.H. glad to see I'm not just crazy!

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
Aha.

I'm hoping to run the Honda for no more than 1-2 hours/Day, if that.

I've got solar panels on the Airstream, and installed LED strips inside. I'm on a 2K Mtn, so even now, when it's 85, with the breeze, it's very comfortable in the shade.

This is my first morning sitting up here. (Wasn't really my first night as I had to go run some claims and got back at 5AM)

This is more of a long term thing for me than a short term disruption.
Fridge/Freezer are multi... running Propane.

Offline Brownlow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:09:54 PM »
I bought the one that Steven Harris recommended and had nothing but good luck with it.  The first time I made ice in it there was some stuff like sand in it. I threw out that batch of ice and clean it out with water. It’s been running fine. I have run it about three times over several months. No problems. It rocks.

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
 >:(

I am sorry to report COMPLETE AND TOTAL FAILURE of the second machine Amazon sent me.

I went to town to pick it up, and (remembering the performance (Or lack thereof) of the last model... I pluged it into my 'car inverter' which has a peak load of 400 with 200 continuous. (Back of machine... i'm not going to look it's already in the box set to go back.... states it needs under 200.)

my battery gauge was showing over 14 volts AND THE MOTOR WAS RUNNING (doing about 50) and the inverter's red light appeared, telling me there was not enough power.

So, I disconnected it, thinking it might be the inverter (Which will run my laptop, smart phone, and ipad no problem) and hooked it up to that 800 watt inverter S.H. recommended (Something ELSE I'm not happy with) attached to a over 12 volt (Checked with my meter) deep cycle battery.

IT FAILED TO MAKE A SINGLE CUBE OF ICE!

it would run just fine for less then 2 minutes, and then kick off.

The same set up is currently running the afore mentioned 3 devices...

Back it goes, and I guess I'll just be using what Ice I can get out of my Propane fridge/freezer!
Nice in theory... worthless in practice!

Offline Brownlow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
I believe Steve recommended that the 800 watt inverter needs to be hooked up to your car battery and the car running before before you hook it up to the ice maker.

It should make ice cubes every seven mins more or less. You can idle the car for a hour and get quite a lot of ice. I don't think you can run it off just the battery bank unless you have a large battery bank  with multiple batteries.