Author Topic: Preparedness Question for the ladies.  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
Preparedness Question for the ladies.
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:06:13 AM »
A local gun store/shooting range holds a monthly 8 hour event for women only.  At this event they focus on shooting, weapons familiarization, non lethal self defense, health, wellness and other topics geared towards women.  I have been asked to come and speak on occasion for 1 to 2 hours on preparedness.

I would never intentionally do or say something to offend my audience.  But, I am a guy and my perspective is based on my own experiences and beliefs.  I am open minded and even sensitive at times, there goes my man card.  I do want to do a good job and provide a solid basis for basic and expandable information.

My audience will most likely be newer shooters and people who have little to no self defense training and even less formal preparedness exposure.  But, I have found most women are more prepared for certain aspects of emergency preparedness then men and are also more prepared then they think they are.

From a female perspective what type of things would you want to walk away with on the topic of emergency preparedness.  I have several ideas already and even have an outline ready to transition into PowerPoint.  I am planning my presentation to be both lecture and hands on application.

Thank you for your input.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Preparedness Question for the ladies.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »
heavy question.  Off the top without a lot of thought, I would emphasize Jack's motto "helping you live a better life if times get tough, or even if they don't."  Most women don't want to think about TEOTWAWKI but man it sure is nice not to have to run to the grocery store right before dinner cuz I don't have a can of tomatoes for the dinner I want to make (and forgot to buy when I went yesterday).

If I have any other ideas, I will come back.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
Focus on convienence and time savings. It's easier to take care of a sick child, a last minute meal, an unexpected trip to the hospital, etc, if you are prepared ahead of time. Being prepared cuts at least 50% of the aggravation of living, leaves more time for yourself and family.

Offline The Chihuahua has Spoken

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
One of the best things I ever did to get started was to use the website www.flylady.net.  I used to be the 24/7 caregiver to an older relative with alzheimer's.  He'd would come unstuck from the stream of time, shall we say, and I'd have to drop everything to take care of his situation for as long as it lasted, then get right back at all the stuff I still had to do.  Now there's a stress test for you...  I signed up for the flylady daily emails, did the "Control Journal" - a notebook with cleaning routines and phone numbers and prescription info, etc, had my grab-n-go briefcase with our important documents in it - birth certificates, social security cards, etc.  I even had a dog emergency kit together, since dogs invariably only get sick/have accidents on Saturday night or Sunday.  Now, having a pet emergency kit is one way to reach people quickly, as all of us love our pets, and we all know that emergency shelters won't take our pets in with us.  My basic kit was their vet records, some peroxide and charcoal, (to make them vomit, then charcoal for poisoning) and eye drops and ear drops.  Later I added that flexible athletic tape for sprained ankles, to bind their jaws in case of real injury, then I added some blood clotting stuff.  I learned to buy extra food on sale and stock up so I didn't have to run to the store at a really bad time.  I kept excellent medical records and the house was pretty clean most of the time.  I didn't want Adult Services coming in and saying he was being neglected or kept in poor conditions.  It was exhausting work, but worth it.
Check out the flylady site, she is reaching out to everyone who was never taught how to clean house or be organized or even why it's necessary.  It'll help you to understand just how little so many of us women are being taught about the importance of making a house into a home, and that this drudgery is important.
Hope this helps.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
I LOVE FLYLADY! I would say she was my gateway drug to prepping. Once I had my routines (and my life) under control, I looked around and thought "What can I do next to make my life easier?"

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »
Yeah, me too.  I drop the emails for a while, and I fall behind, then I'll get the bug and perk back up.  It's a very healthy outlet for obsessive compulsive disorder, or wanting to have some control in this out of control world.  Easier on relationships to control things, rather than trying to control people.
And talk about saving money through frugality and planning ahead, wow, that's what really brought it home for me.
I LOVE FLYLADY! I would say she was my gateway drug to prepping. Once I had my routines (and my life) under control, I looked around and thought "What can I do next to make my life easier?"

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »
For new preppers, I like the idea of presenting the idea of starting out by preparing for the things that are most likely to happen.  Job loss, major illness, local weather (or natural disaster) events (hurricane, tornado, ice storm, earthquake, fires) then moving up the matrix to the larger (and less likely) events.

My other suggestion is that you show how preparedness will save them time and money.  Most modern families seem to be stressed by both of those things.  Having a full pantry of a wide variety of foods saves time shopping and if done well, saves time in preparing meals.  Money is saved by buying in bulk or only when items are on sale (and then buying large quantities).  Plus it encourages more eating at home rather than take-out.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »
I agree with these suggestions... rather than focusing on hardcore prepping topics, sticking to general preparedness in the sense of being ready to handle personal or natural disasters (including stocking up to save money and time for the family) is a great way to approach it in my opinion. Mentioning the types of natural disasters that are common in the region where you are (tornadoes in the midwest, hurricanes along the coast, snow storms, floods... ) will make it hit home with them. You might even mention the possibility of widespread flu (pandemic) or other infectious illness that would make it less desirable/impossible to have to shop in stores for some period of time.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
I would like to thank everyone who has responded thus far.  Your suggestions are right on the mark.  I will review Flylady tomorrow.  Please keep the suggestions coming.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
Thanks, it's nice to know I can help someone else.
Here's "What to keep in a Grab-n-Go Briefcase":
First, why a briefcase?  Because it's unique and means business and is easy to carry in a hurry.  If your home area is being evacuated and you're at work, only allowed 5 minutes to get stuff, you can tell the kids or whomever to get that briefcase, rather than files or boxes in the closet.  I've seen old briefcases at the second hand store for 2 dollars.  Ugly, but sturdy.  Place some blank notepaper and a working pen in here for taking notes while you're on the road.
In the briefcase, place copies of everything in your wallet - copies of your driver's license, credit cards, library card, everything, front and back.  If your purse or wallet is stolen or lost, you will have a much easier time with these copies of getting things replaced and proving your identity.  Think about it, if you are evacuating to an area that's more than one gas tank away, how will you pay for fuel if your wallet is stolen?  What if you are so stressed out you drive off with your purse sitting on top of your car roof?  With copies in your briefcase, you can call the credit card company and get more assistance than if you didn't have this info.  Plus, a gas station might be able to provide fuel using the copy of your driver's license and credit cards.  I don't know, but in an emergency situation, it beats nothing at all.
Also, keep all your life's legal papers in this briefcase.  Birth certificates, school records, immunizations, passport, marriage license, divorce decree, everything you need to rebuild your identity after a catastrophe.  Keep an address book with contact info for people and businesses.  Phone numbers to the vet, the doctor, the credit cards - because if you're on the road and need to talk to a credit card company to cancel a stolen credit card, this will be very handy.
Keep all your prescription information, if you use them.  Just a sheet of notebook paper is fine.  Names and ph numbers to the doctor, pharmacy,  the drug name, generic equivalent, the dosage, how many times per day, length of time on it, and anything else that is important. 
Do the same with the vet records, also include photos of the pets in case they get separated from you.  Animals panic and forget their own names in high stress situations.
Also make a backup copy on a memory stick, just in case.  You might not be able to fit everything into the briefcase.

There's also info on what information to keep for how long out there on the internet somewhere.  Like credit card statements, old checkbook registers, etc.  Eventually, they can be disposed of.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
I LOVE FLYLADY!

As someone whose been "FLYing" (ok, fluttering) for nearly a decade, I totally agree!  ;D

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
It is so nice to see there are like minded ladies on this forum. there are other forums that are mostly geared for the men. Hunting, chopping wood, etc. although I know some younger women that hunt. We are much older and us older ladies will be the ones doing a lot of the work in the kitchen and garden, etc. I can shoot a shot gun and such as I have taken lessons on how to protect myself in a situation. I try to go target practicing when I can make the time but ammo is getting harder to find. So right now I am trying to build up my food supplies, first aid and such and hope to be of any help to others out there. I do a lot of canning and always looking for new canning reciepes.