Author Topic: My Garden Is Planted!  (Read 10603 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
My Garden Is Planted!
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
The last few weekends have been chalk full of weekend project goodness.  TW and I built a garden cage (we have a pretty serious creature problem here - from squirrels to birds to 'possums) to protect it from intruders, and then this last weekend I planted a bunch of stuff.  Some of it is still in seed form (and therefore - you can't see it), but most of it is all growing and beautiful!  In the garden (which is about 100 square feet) we have 4 33"x6" window boxes which are off the ground, and 7 14" hanging baskets.

Growing in the garden, we have the following:
    * Silver Queen Corn
    * Yellow Bush Beans
    * Green Watermelon (the snake one)
    * Straight Eight Cucumber
    * Lemon Cucumber
    * White Onions
    * Red Onions
    * Green Onions
    * Red Radishes
    * White Icicle Radishes
    * Carrots
    * Red Cabbage
    * Broccoli
    * Cauliflower
    * Butter Lettuce
    * Iceburg Lettuce
    * Black Beauty Eggplant
    * Butternut Squash
    * Rosemary
    * Raspberries
    * Boysenberries
    * Yellow Climbing Roses
    * Red Climbing Roses
    * Marigolds (for pest control)
    * Pineapple Mint
    * Peppermint
    * Orange Mint
    * Yellow & White Pansies
    * Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
    * Greek Oregano
    * Lemon Thyme
    * Basil
    * Sweet Basil
    * Sugar Snap Peas
    * Quinalt Strawberries
    * Tennessee Beauty Strawberries
    * Better Boy Tomatoes
    * Serrano Peppers
    * Poblano Peppers
    * Jalepeno Peppers

The tomatoes are upside down, and the serrano, poblano and jalepeno peppers are on the top part of the tomato planters.  Both the strawberry varieties are in hanging baskets as well.  The oregano, parsley, basil, sweet basil, lemon thyme, pansies, marigolds, peppermint, pineapple mint, and orange mint are in the window box planters, and the rest is on the ground.  The yellow and red roses are outside the cage, and are using it as a trellis.  I planted the sugar snap peas outside the cage as well, and they will be using the other side as their trellis.

I am SO EXCITED!!!!

All TSP Members get a 20% discount on any paid membership at Equip 2 Endure! Just enter coupon code "tspforum" (without the quotation marks) to start saving today!

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: My Garden Is Planted!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
Wow. I've seen 'Hot House Plants' but never 'Jail House Plants'... Good job!!! +1.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 02:59:44 AM »
Way to go........ Idaho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+1

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:04:03 AM »
Wow!!!
An Okie living in England.  Wife to one scientist, homeschooling mom to 5 kids ages 21 - 10.  Dabbler in many things.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »
Looks GREAT! Congrats!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
Wow, I'm impressed.  That cage, is that all 2x4 lumber?  Are the posts anchored in the ground or is that whole thing movable?  Nicely done, you wouldn't have taken any pictures through the building process, would you?  I'd like to see them.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »
Man that looks awsome!  Do you have moose too? ;D  Can't wait to see it in full glory!

BP

tallfoo

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
Nice work.  Make sure to post pictures of everything blooming this spring/summer.

Offline nanodec

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »
sweet cage setup! Good idea regarding keeping the four legged fuzzies out!
Quote from: evilphish
So.  let me get this straight.  because of BP, the earth is about to rip a massive air biscuit and kill us all.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »
Very cool and it seems like you could convert all or part to a sort of passive green house in the winter quite easily.  I have seen a lot of set ups, this layout is awesome and a first for me.  +1
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »
Thank you guys!!!

Wow, I'm impressed.  That cage, is that all 2x4 lumber?  Are the posts anchored in the ground or is that whole thing movable?  Nicely done, you wouldn't have taken any pictures through the building process, would you?  I'd like to see them.

The cage is all 2x4 lumber, yes, except for the roof (which we did out of 1x1s that we planed from our 2x4s), and the door itself, which is made of 2x2s that we planed from our 2x4s.  

The 2x4s are sitting in post holes, but they are not anchored in cement or anything of the like.  We had several issues doing this.  One of which is that a gas line and electrical conduit lines and another pipe ran right exactly where we wanted to put the cage.  So we had to bury it less deep than we originally wanted to.  Because we live right below a mountain pass, we regularly (I mean, weekly) get winds here from 40mph to 70 mph.  So it had to be sturdy enough to not snap in the wind.  Luckily, because it is backed up against one of our machine shops (a big metal building), and the north side is blocked by a big concrete wall, it's pretty sheltered from the wind.  I mean, it still GETS wind, but it's more sturdy than it would otherwise be, even though it's only buried about 12 inches down below the ground.  And, just because you didn't ask, but I should say it - we used 1"x1" square wire mesh that they use for drywall backing as the cage material.  I got a 150 ft x 39 inch roll of it from the local building supply for $30.  Which beats the hell out of anything that Home Depot or Lowe's wanted to sell me under the auspice of it being "for gardens".  We only ended up using one roll for the entire cage.  And since we used left over lumber from our own yard, the entire cage ended up costing less than $100.

As for the building process - ask and ye shall receive.  

Because of the odd width of the cage material, we had to make these in 39" panels like so:

Because of the number of pipes that were in the ground, the ends of these ended up being cut down quite a bit from where they are in the above pic.  

When we first started building it, we thought we'd just staple the roof material on without using panels, as you see in the pic below.  That didn't work out well at all - the material wasn't tight, and it looked terrible.  Also - because of the electrical panel in the back, one of the panel's middle beam had to be raised up - you can see that in this pic as well.

As you can see, for the entire thing, all we did was build one panel at a time, and then put it in and nail it (with a nail gun) to its neighbor panels.

The cage when it was finished, but before I got anything in (except the roses):

The roses (I have red and yellow climbers) use the outside of one end of the cage as a trellis:

And you've seen the most recent pics.

TW designed it, we both built it, and I planted the garden (and will tend it).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:14:33 PM by Sister Wolf »

All TSP Members get a 20% discount on any paid membership at Equip 2 Endure! Just enter coupon code "tspforum" (without the quotation marks) to start saving today!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
39 inch panels so it is roughly 16 feet long by 3ish feet deep?

Hence you are only using about 48 square feet.  It will be awesome to see how much you can produce in that small space, again very cool.
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
Very cool and it seems like you could convert all or part to a sort of passive green house in the winter quite easily.  I have seen a lot of set ups, this layout is awesome and a first for me.  +1

Thanks, Jack!  Yeah, one of the things that we'd talked about is taking an idea that the local nurseries use and making it work for us on a micro farm scale.  We can get a very heavy duty plastic sheeting, and then hem the edges (literally sew them) with about a 1 1/2" hem.  Then attach big, fat grommets to these hemmed ends (so that the grommets are set sturdier than they would otherwise be if they were just set on the edges) all along every edge - maybe every 2" or so.  Then attach eyebolts all along the 2x4s, and clip everything together with carabiners.  Because we're in Southern California, it doesn't get snow cold where we are.  I think it might work.  Maybe.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »
39 inch panels so it is roughly 16 feet long by 3ish feet deep?

Hence you are only using about 48 square feet.  It will be awesome to see how much you can produce in that small space, again very cool.

Right, but I'm using space in front of the cage, as well as several feet to the right of the cage.  It ends up being about 100 sq. ft. in the end.  Maybe a tad less.

EDIT:  Or maybe I'm wrong.  Looks like I'm using about 53 sq ft. inside the cage.  And about 12 sq. ft to the right of the cage.  And about 6 sq. ft. in front of the cage.  So about 70-71 sq. ft. total.  Not 100.

:)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:27:47 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »
I really appreciate the detailed description of what you did.  I was going to ask about that mesh, but was thinking I knew what it was, I was wrong.  I'm going to keep this one in mind for the future.

And is that razor wire I see???

This is my first "best of" choice

This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by fritz_monroe.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »

We live in an industrial area, and are very, very careful about who gets into our property.  ;)  Opsec, m'dear.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
Very nice indeed Sister Wolf & TW!!! +1
BJ

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
yay for cake! good job
This is the coolest thing anybody has every said about me at anytime of my life:

There is no way I would find myself in a Zombie attack without you and
Bill by my side. I think you guys are the only two who do not hesitate
to kill and have better survival skills than most. ---Nicki

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 12:44:24 AM »
Thank you!  ;D

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

I saw that and thought, Where the hell does she live that she needs razor wire to protect her veggies??? Zimbabwe?  :P

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 01:01:17 PM »
Where the hell does she live that she needs razor wire to protect her veggies??? Zimbabwe?  :P

Perhaps.   8)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
Perhaps.   8)

Nothing wrong with a little razor wire and perhaps a land mine or too!  ;D

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
My Father's house uses broken glass, not as effective as razor wire but considering it's in the middle of a suburban development it is still unusual looking. ;)
Way to go on the garden SisterWolf, looks like those roses love the trellis!
Man, despite his artistic pretension, his sophistication, and many accomplishments, owes the fact of his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil -- and the fact that it rains. -- Anonymous

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »
My Father's house uses broken glass, not as effective as razor wire but considering it's in the middle of a suburban development it is still unusual looking. ;)
Way to go on the garden SisterWolf, looks like those roses love the trellis!

I had decrative glass shards on cemented on my wall in Panama.  Looked pretty nice and menecing at the same time. 

I look forward to seeing the final product there SisterWolf!

BP

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
Okay, I'm having my first issues already, and it's only day 5.  One of my upside down tomato plants is acting like a pansy.  The leaves (I guess that's an important qualifier) are badly wilted, and I don't know how to fix them, or save the plant.  The stem is still okay, but I don't understand how the leaves could look dead so quickly on just that one plant.  I'm watering them all the same, and the other 3 tomatoes I've got in the garden are also upside down and are the same breed (Better Boys).  Is this a plant issue?  Or a Sister Wolf issue?

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
Re: Tomato woes
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
Hmm, which one? If it is the middle one it could be that is it more exposed to sun than the others (you do not have a window box on the door), if it is one of the others then I would look at the solar trajectory and see if it is getting more than the rest. Tomatoes need at least 6-8 hours of direct sun light to do well but they enjoy a bit of shade for the fruit ripening process. Also how hot is the water coming out of the hose? I doubt it is very hot but if it is the first you water perhaps the roots dislike the shock of it. Lastly, check the soil's acidity in the pot, perhaps it's a bit off. Considering it is still early I do not suspect pests or root competition. I hope the plant makes a full recovery!
Man, despite his artistic pretension, his sophistication, and many accomplishments, owes the fact of his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil -- and the fact that it rains. -- Anonymous

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »
If you're looking at the garden, it's the hanging pot furthest to the right.

The water temp = I run the hose (I know, I know, conserve water blah blah) until the water comes out cool, because I'm terrified of scalding the roots.

It's totally possible that the plant is getting more sun than the rest of them, but I don't really know.

I will check the soil acidity tomorrow.  I don't suspect pests or root competition either.  And thank you! :)

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 07:15:32 PM »
The water temp = I run the hose (I know, I know, conserve water blah blah) until the water comes out cool, because I'm terrified of scalding the roots.
That's the most environmentally exposed pot I believe, since you have the garden shielded on two sides. By the way, run the hose into a covered barrel or a bucket and pour it on some well established plants after you are done with the garden. It should have cooled a bit and the water isn't wasted. Still even water just spilled on your soil is feeding something so don't feel too bad. :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
Oh, I should have qualified that.  I do.  I run the water on my roses, and my flowery bushes and trees that are not a part of the veggie/fruit/herb garden.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »
The last few weekends have been chalk full of weekend project goodness.  TW and I built a garden cage (we have a pretty serious creature problem here - from squirrels to birds to 'possums) to protect it from intruders, and then this last weekend I planted a bunch of stuff.  Some of it is still in seed form (and therefore - you can't see it), but most of it is all growing and beautiful!  In the garden (which is about 100 square feet) we have 4 33"x6" window boxes which are off the ground, and 7 14" hanging baskets.

Growing in the garden, we have the following:
    * Silver Queen Corn
    * Yellow Bush Beans
    * Green Watermelon (the snake one)
    * Straight Eight Cucumber
    * Lemon Cucumber
    * White Onions
    * Red Onions
    * Green Onions
    * Red Radishes
    * White Icicle Radishes
    * Carrots
    * Red Cabbage
    * Broccoli
    * Cauliflower
    * Butter Lettuce
    * Iceburg Lettuce
    * Black Beauty Eggplant
    * Butternut Squash
    * Rosemary
    * Raspberries
    * Boysenberries
    * Yellow Climbing Roses
    * Red Climbing Roses
    * Marigolds (for pest control)
    * Pineapple Mint
    * Peppermint
    * Orange Mint
    * Yellow & White Pansies
    * Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
    * Greek Oregano
    * Lemon Thyme
    * Basil
    * Sweet Basil
    * Sugar Snap Peas
    * Quinalt Strawberries
    * Tennessee Beauty Strawberries
    * Better Boy Tomatoes
    * Serrano Peppers
    * Poblano Peppers
    * Jalepeno Peppers

The tomatoes are upside down, and the serrano, poblano and jalepeno peppers are on the top part of the tomato planters.  Both the strawberry varieties are in hanging baskets as well.  The oregano, parsley, basil, sweet basil, lemon thyme, pansies, marigolds, peppermint, pineapple mint, and orange mint are in the window box planters, and the rest is on the ground.  The yellow and red roses are outside the cage, and are using it as a trellis.  I planted the sugar snap peas outside the cage as well, and they will be using the other side as their trellis.

I am SO EXCITED!!!!

WOW, nice set up!  That is definitely something to be excited about!
                     ***GREEN WITH ENVY***
We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial.  What will be the consequences, I know not.
- John Adams, letter to Abigail Adams, 1774
If tyranny & oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
- James Madison

Heavy G was right. All the threads back here do end up as gay porn.  :o
See...
Okay, just so it is noted, Doc is the one who started the gay porn on this thread.  ;D